NameSilo

Video: The Top 10 Qualities to Look For in a Domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Our 11th monthly Doma.in free training video is now up: The Top 10 Qualities to Look For in a Domain.

This list originated as 8 things geared towards end-user businesses buying a domain. That said, in in the end we as domainers should be getting domains with end-use in mind - especially now with domain parking making a tiny fraction of what it used to.

If you haven't seen our domain training videos before, I encourage you to check out the others here.

Anyone feel free to give your input - was there anything major we missed? Anything in particular you think is most important to look for in a domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm a Domain Newbie, thank you for this video! I'm going to watch it now. I see you're in SD, nice, I'm up in Oceanside, CA

•••
Hi Steve. Thanks for the video. I was wondering how you would get to as many as 10 qualities :) It was very informative. One thing which struck me after each quality was that it would have been very good to have quoted a good and bad example domain name for each quality. It would have helped cement the idea of that quality, imho.

•••
excellent video. I do have a question though. With all of these things to consider when buying a domain name how are we supposed to compete with people who use automated domain pick up software or groups that have several contributing members? It just seems like the individual domainer is at such a disadvantage when trying to compete with people who can evaluate domains much quicker. Also is there set times each day where the drop lists get updated?

•••
Hi Steve. Thanks for the video. I was wondering how you would get to as many as 10 qualities :) It was very informative. One thing which struck me after each quality was that it would have been very good to have quoted a good and bad example domain name for each quality. It would have helped cement the idea of that quality, imho.

Hi Stu. Sorry, had missed your response to this. Thanks for your comments.

One problem with giving examples is that domain evaluation is still subjective even for domainers. I think it's better to have a general picture/blueprint when looking at domains and comparing like vs. like, i.e. comparing available domains, or domains listed for sale for say $50-$100, etc.

Also, consider that sufficiently short may change depending on the extension you use. Many longer names people might use in .com they would never use in .net or .org, and many reasonable length domains in .net or .org people might not ever use in low-end ccTLDs for instance. Everything is relative and overall, it's not likely you'll find domains meeting every quality anyways, so just keeping broad "good things" to look for is likely better than having a strict threshold that examples might lead someone to use.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

excellent video. I do have a question though. With all of these things to consider when buying a domain name how are we supposed to compete with people who use automated domain pick up software or groups that have several contributing members? It just seems like the individual domainer is at such a disadvantage when trying to compete with people who can evaluate domains much quicker. Also is there set times each day where the drop lists get updated?

Thanks for the comment.

You're right in that being an individual domainer starting out, you may very well be at a disadvantage to most since you would be spending more time evaluating domains (or at least you SHOULD when starting out). That said, with reading here and keeping up to date on the best tools/software to use for researching domains, you'll start to close the gap.

The ADVANTAGE you have is that the large companies/domainers often don't have the time/resources to devote to doing much else besides automated software to determine which domains to get whereas you do. A lot of good sales I've gotten have been of names that, without human eyes to see them and understand the potential, they wouldn't be bought/registered.

So don't fret too much - even with starting out, if you really strive to understand what makes a domain great, both through reading here and simply looking at domains for sale and expiring/expired domains and start coming up with your own criteria, you can start on a strong foot and get domains that the big guys miss.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back