Domain Empire

What factors to count?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

bloggersjoy

Established Member
Impact
Hello Everyone,

What factors to count while analyzing the value of a domain name? Please help.

Thank You

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
that's a trade secret i spent a few grands in mistakes and 2 years being active in this forum to master

thanks

Last edited:
•••
Research, Time, and Mistakes.

•••
•••
It's not an exact science but probably the following article will help you have some idea about the factors determining the value of a domain name.

http://domainate.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/10-quantifiable-factors-of-domain-value/

Interesting article but based on the criteria I use to decide on renewals or drops (and in-effect domain value too) out of the 10 factors in the article just 2 of the 10 are considered important. I use 5 factors but 8 of the 10 in the article I don't take into consideration or look at closely if at all when deciding on renewals.

•••
There are 2 kinds of names - earners and bleeders. Accumulate names that earn parking revenue greater than cost plus renewals. Seize opportunity, not dogma. Sell only to ridiculous offers. Park until the wheels fall off. Weed regularly. Talk in riddles. Kick back in the peanut gallery and watch the show. Welcome!

:ghost:

•••
There are 2 kinds of names - earners and bleeders. Accumulate names that earn parking revenue greater than cost plus renewals. Seize opportunity, not dogma. Sell only to ridiculous offers. Park until the wheels fall off. Weed regularly. Talk in riddles. Kick back in the peanut gallery and watch the show. Welcome! :ghost:

Revenue is one of my 5 factors but the problem with making it the main or only criteria is many sales are from low or even no revenue names, which is why there's a need to look at other issues too. In addition, because the revenue is low today doesn't mean it will always be low because possibly the name has been poorly monetized for whatever reason but the revenue can increase as long as it gets traffic. That's why I also look at traffic, especially typeins.

p.s. what does park until wheels fall off, sell to ridiculous offers and talk in riddles mean?

Last edited:
•••
Hello Everyone,

What factors to count while analyzing the value of a domain name? Please help.

Thank You

You can get a few more ideas on what some people use to determine value here: http://www.namepros.com/domain-appraisals/announcement-appraisal-guide-for-better-results.html - Keep in mind that most people have a different valuing system and may only use a handful of the valuing factors listed on that page that fit best with their targeted niche and or selling strategy.

•••
what does ..... talk in riddles mean?

You know….. the post of ecalc is a good example of what he is advising the OP in your quote.

--

--

--

:lol: joking!

•••
There are 2 kinds of names - earners and bleeders. Accumulate names that earn parking revenue greater than cost plus renewals. Seize opportunity, not dogma. Sell only to ridiculous offers. Park until the wheels fall off. Weed regularly. Talk in riddles. Kick back in the peanut gallery and watch the show. Welcome!

:ghost:

I like the 'Talk in riddles' bit. You seem to be doing it very well, :lol: :lol: :lol:

•••
park until the wheels fall off = The brief parking time window may be closing but it's still open a crack. Passive cash flow opportunities this ripe roll down the pike once in a lifetime if you're lucky.

sell to ridiculous offers = We're not looking to sell this name but may consider an offer that blows our socks off.

talk in riddles = Mix word salad metaphors with cliché dressing. Throw a few bones but keep the reader scratching their head. Ask not what NP can do for you, ask what you can do for NP.

•••
We're not looking to sell this name but may consider an offer that blows our socks off.

But that would not work for many of us due to the problem most web-pages also having a link to make offers with notice the domain may be for sale or is for sale so how can you then say the opposite we are not looking to sell it?

•••
Is that a trick question? The socks line probably works best when the name isn't listed for sale, but neither buyer nor seller really listens to the other one's spiel. The only thing that matters is the number. My point is don't be eager to sell cash cows. Dead wood is another story.

Last edited:
•••
this thread like a gulp of fresh air

•••
Deciding factors of domain value is changed due to Google algorithm changes..

However, branded domain names with top extensions are always demanded.

•••
you can find value of site from no of visitor your site and how much gets business from your sites......

•••
Many things to consider before buying....like domain name itself, alexa rank and need check whether blacklisted or not

•••
Many things to consider before buying....like domain name itself, alexa rank and need check whether blacklisted or not

Alexa ranking? You must be joking!!

•••
•••
Opps typo Alexa ranking should go for established websites

Not even for websites. Alexa is no more relevant. Maybe you can impress someone by high Alexa ranking but it doesn't add any value to the name or site in terms of traffic or income.

Alexa records its information through its Toolbar. If it is not installed by any user group, then the site will have low Alexa ranking, i.e. it will be among top millions, NOT top thousands.

•••
Not even for websites. Alexa is no more relevant. Maybe you can impress someone by high Alexa ranking but it doesn't add any value to the name or site in terms of traffic or income.

Alexa records its information through its Toolbar. If it is not installed by any user group, then the site will have low Alexa ranking, i.e. it will be among top millions, NOT top thousands.

Sorry to disagree with you....do you think google and facebook installed alexa toolbar? they are in top

•••
Not Google and Facebook but the people who surf Google and Facebook installed Alexa toolbar.

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

My point is that Alexa is not reliable at all. People in USA and Europe don't use much Alexa toolbar. This is a toy for SEO gurus in India, China and other South Asian countries. The sites that these SEO gurus visit most have high Alexa ranks, which is not a true reflection on the value of the website.

•••
So you mean people with out alexa toolbar do not count as visitor for google and facebook rankings .........???????

•••
So you mean people with out alexa toolbar do not count as visitor for google and facebook rankings .........???????

I'm not saying that people with Alexa toolbar do not visit Google and Facebook. Of course they visit and that's why Google and FB have high ranks.

But the problem is that the same above people do not visit many more good websites and therefore those good websites don't get ranked what they deserve. For that reason, Alexa is not reliable. If Alexa wants to be relevant, they need to change their algorithms. :]

•••
IC....well to close this discussion which will never end.....but i love alexa :D

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back