IT.COM

question What should I do if the domain I purchased cannot be transferred out?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

789.xyz

Established Member
Impact
If the domain you've purchased has just been transferred to a new registrar and it's been less than 60 days, meaning you can't obtain the transfer authorization code, what should you typically do?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Creating an account at the same registrar and opting for a push is the way to go.

•••
Indeed, Make sure any intended buyer is aware that the domain is on the standard 60 day lock and that an internal push is the only current transfer option and account creation is probably required.
However, far better to wait until 60 day lock has expired before trying to sell, saves a lot of explaining and doesn't advertise that this is probably a recent hand-registration or in your case a recent aftermarket purchase

Last edited:
•••
Hi,
You can initiate the transfer again once the lock is off. My registrar does this automatically. By then though you might need to request another auth code from the seller as they do expire, so keep an eye on messages in your registrar account at the time the lock comes off. Also, it's probably best to keep the seller informed of what will be happening.

Last edited:
•••
By then though you might need to request another auth code from the seller as they do expire

Authcodes typically don't expire, but many registrars tend to reset them after some time, supposedly for security (in reality it's usually just to make the transfer harder).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back