NameSilo

question Which NGTLD for a domain marketplace

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have registered probably to many NGTLD's for a domain sales website. Which extension would work best out of these?

.digital
.direct
.media
.global
.shop
.store
.tech
.market
.domains
.club
.xyz

None of the above? Some other NGTLD extension? Yeah! I know use a .com. I am :) Just considering tbroadening my reach.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@stub

have decided yet which one to use?

•••
I think if you are selling nTLDs, you should be using a nTLD yourself. At least show you are drinking your own medicine.
I have seen too may outlets preaching water while drinking wine, that is singing the praises of nTLDs but for others, they use .com and would never even contemplate using anything else.

As to what extension would be best, that depends very much on the left of the dot. You have to look at the whole name.
I think consistency is important. If you have a focus on certain extensions, then consider using one of those for your website. For example using a .store would be odd (to me at least) if you don't have any for sale.

That was my thinking too @Kate. Well for the NGTLD's at least. I don't think I want to be selling my .coms on an NGTLD, however. To the right of the dot, I'm kinda favoring .global and .market best at the moment. But it's not set in stone yet.To the left of the dot, I'm favoring something directly related to domains, if available. I think it's a bit of an uphill slog, going with a brandable, unless it's related to domains somehow. An easy solution would be to use my same name as in the .com with the NGTLD. But as I said elsewhere, although my .com is quite good, I could probably afford better in an NGTLD.

•••
I totally agree with this. I think it is pretty shameful to sell new gTLDs from .com, particularly if one has ONLY new gTLDs, but it's just imo :)

I am personally using .international extension - most domainers willl tell it is too long, but for me it serves well, and mainly, I would pay quite high renewals for keywords like "domain(s) or "brand(s)" on alternative extension, while my name is 20/year .. I think names must be sustainable longterm when we select them.

Well I think $60/yr for something like .global is easily sustainable also. It's the highly premium domains you have to watch out for. But you don't want to have too many .global domains hanging around in your stock, unless you are actually moving them regularly ;)

•••
Well, you can watch the auction, but also names from Dynadot auctions gets reported very quickly in namebio.com afaik, it is always matter of few days. One can just search for that particular name there.

Yes, I also search for names on Uni, and reg them on Dynadot, Namecheap,Uni, Name.com, West.xyz, and few others - it very much depends on which extension is in question, and whether there is an ongoing promotion...the differences in gTLD pricing are huge among various registrars.

OK. I had visions of you watching these auctions until they completed ;) Yes they are... the differences in NGTLD pricing between registrars. Uniregistry are mostly at the high end of prices and renewals. I was in that auction. But I was busy when it was closing.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Well I think $60/yr for something like .global is easily sustainable also. It's the highly premium domains you have to watch out for. But you don't want to have too many .global domains hanging around in your stock, unless you are actually moving them regularly ;)
Well, you can have something like brands/global, but you need to pay first initial 4k, and then you go with 60 / year renewals :) Imo if you use it for your marketplace those 60 is not important that much, but 4k initial investment might be deemed higher by many smaller domain investors.

•••
OK. I had visions of you watching these auctions until they completed ;) Yes they are... the differences in NGTLD pricing between registrars. Uniregistry are mostly at the high end of prices and renewals. I was in that auction. But I was busy when it was closing.
Well, I am new gTLD fan but not such fan to watch each auction to the end, lol :)

Although I have to say I start to feel uneasy in 2018, even mediocro new gTLD names are now having bidders in XXX range...this was not case 1-2 ago...

•••
Not yet. As you can see. I'm still deciding.
do not be secretive and tell us the names if you can :)
although the theoretical discussion which extension would serve this purpose best is nice, imo it is really combination of righ and left which rules ..

•••
Well, you can have something like brands/global, but you need to pay first initial 4k, and then you go with 60 / year renewals :) Imo if you use it for your marketplace those 60 is not important that much, but 4k initial investment might be deemed higher by many smaller domain investors.

Correct. As I said you have to be careful with those best premium domains. I'm not expecting to be buying a premium domain at those prices. There might be a slim chance, if I can see the return. Which today, I can't see.

•••
Well, I am new gTLD fan but not such fan to watch each auction to the end, lol :)

Although I have to say I start to feel uneasy in 2018, even mediocro new gTLD names are now having bidders in XXX range...this was not case 1-2 ago...

Shouldn't you be happy if prices are going up?

•••
do not be secretive and tell us the names if you can :)
although the theoretical discussion which extension would serve this purpose best is nice, imo it is really combination of righ and left which rules ..

I really do not want to reveal what I currently own yet. A few are great, and some only average. I'm also still looking in the market. So I think it's premature at this point. All in good time. I started this thread to get a better understanding of which GTLD's would work best for selling domain names. naturally .market is better than .flowers, for example. The one I completely forgot in my list was .world, because I don't own any.

•••
Shouldn't you be happy if prices are going up?
if they go up on domain auctions where domainers are buying, I am not happy ...
end users sales, yes, of course :)

•••
•••
I just registered another great name in .global, even though I think my best name is in .market. I already had this newly registered domain in .club. I am really beginning to think that .global extension is a great extension for selling NGTLD's from. What say you? So I think I might be getting closer to a decision. Maybe :)

•••
If you're selling domains then the extensions that make sense include:
  • .market
  • .domains
  • .shop
  • .store (I think store sounds more American than shop)
So it's no wonder you're confused, there is too much choice :) The problem with those overlapping extensions is that I would feel compelled to register other extensions to cover bases.

On the other hand extensions like
  • .digital
  • .direct
  • .media
make me think of digital advertising companies and the sort.

If I had to pick a perfect ngtld name for your market, it would be

domain.market

Or domains.market for a lesser budget.
Hmm let's see.
This platinum domain is available for purchase. If you would like to make an offer, please contact [email protected].

This name is reserved by the Registry in accordance with ICANN Policy.
:) And the second one seems to be registry-owned as well.

But there is already a Domain Market (.com) owned by Mike Mann, so I wouldn't want to live in his shadow. He might even take offense.

•••
name is currently having a sale on .world I picked up a couple yesterday. Now if I could only start selling instead of buying!!

I lost a potential sale yesterday LLLL due to T&C of a particular cctld so it was a very cheap pick me up.

•••
@Kate - Yep I agree with your statement about too many extensions making things confusing. And I basically agree with your 4 top choice for selling domains (in NGTLD's). And I like your ability to hone down the left of the dot, down to just "domain". All very clear thinking. However, I like also .Global because it is the most generic and with the most deepest potential coverage of pretty much all the NGTLD's, "domain".Global stands right up there with (well only slightly behind) "domain".Market, IMHO. Also considering "domain(s)" is taken by domainers asking silly prices in most extensions, it's almost a breath of fresh air that we can still get NGTLDs like .Global or .Market with "domain(s)" at $3-$5k from the registry. For a long term bet on having one of the "best" domains in the NGTLD market for selling domains, it would make sense to plunk that kind of change down (although it's borderline). But it doesn't make sense to do that when you are exploring the possibilities. You need something not quite so dominant as the most dominant left of the dot, at an affordable price. Which is about where I am at. Getting either as close to the most dominant left of the dot as I can, even if that means a 2 word domain, which totally explains that the purpose of the website is selling domains, almost irrespective of the extension. Something like MM had to do with DomainMarket(.com). I could also use the extension as a kind of brandable element to the whole name. I can't give you any examples of that yet. because I haven't regged/bought any of them :) But I do prefer keyword domains over brandables personally. Because it's very difficult to find the exactly correct brandable, which explains what the website is about. Meaning you would need a marketing campaign to brand the domain to selling domains in NGTLDs. 'nuff said or now.

•••
Ok. An example of a domain with the TLD being used as a kind of brandable, which I just purchased is names.boutique. A boutique kind of outlet for selling domains in NGTLD's is exactly one of the ideas I had in mind, when pursuing this quest. Since I'm still unsure about making profit in NGTLD's generally. I'm not saying this is my top choice. But it kinda shows some of my thinking.

•••
Ok. An example of a domain with the TLD being used as a kind of brandable, which I just purchased is names.boutique. A boutique kind of outlet for selling domains in NGTLD's is exactly one of the ideas I had in mind, when pursuing this quest. Since I'm still unsure about making profit in NGTLD's generally. I'm not saying this is my top choice. But it kinda shows some of my thinking.
I am not natural english speaker, so can you tell me the difference between

name.boutique
and
names.boutique

in terms of value/grammar correctness? Are both ok, or is some significantly better?

•••
name.boutique was a reserved domain by the registry. So it's a moot point. But generally, the singular is preferred. I checked the availability of the singular before the plural. It's implied that it covers the plural as well, in most cases. For me the singular/plural isn't a big deal, and in many cases I even prefer the plural. Of course you can always find exceptions to any point of view.

Last edited:
•••
name.boutique was a reserved domain by the registry. So it's a moot point. But generally, the singular is preferred. I checked the availability of the singular before the plural. It's implied that it covers the plural as well, in most cases. For me the singular/plural isn't a big deal, and in many cases I even prefer the plural. Of course you can always find exceptions to any point of view.
Thanks. I think there are are lot of nice options for this purpose in new gTLD space.

One can also consider strings "thedomain" or "thename" and some suitable new gTLD extensions.
For example , thedomain/company sounds pretty nice imo and is still available at the moment of writing for few $, while one can then renew it for $6 / year at some registrars. (I yesterday registered thename/market for standard renewal, after reading this thread...not best name, but it is nice to have it for this price)

•••
Exactly. A nice enough domain for standard reg fees. There are too many options for registration though :( We need to be strict with our registrations or there will be plenty of choices again, in 1 year :)

•••
Ok. Here are my best NGTLD domains for establishing a NGTLD Sales Website. I'd like to hear everyone's opinion. Criticism or praise are equally welcome.

.domains
red.domains
store.domains
market.domains
aftermarket.domains

.market
names.market

.global
namestore.global

other "names" domains
names.business
names.boutique
names.cafe
names.digital

.media
domains.media

Personally I like 1) names.market, 2) & 3) were a tossup between namestore.global and names.boutique. What are your top 1..2..3?

I could not find any shop/store domains as good as these. And "domain(s)" domains were also hard to come by.

Last edited:
•••
My priorities would be

1 - names . market
2 - namestore . global
3 - sorry

I like names / market very much...
Second choice not that convincing but okay...

Good luck..

•••
Ok. Here are my best NGTLD domains for establishing a NGTLD Sales Website. I'd like to hear everyone's opinion. Criticism or praise are equally welcome.

.domains
red.domains

store.domains
market.domains
aftermarket.domains

.market
names.market

.global
namestore.global

other "names" domains
names.business
names.boutique
names.cafe
names.digital

.media
domains.media

Personally I like 1) names.market, 2) & 3) were a tossup between namestore.global and names.boutique. What are your top 1..2..3?

I could not find any shop/store domains as good as these. And "domain(s)" domains were also hard to come by.

If you have 5 seconds to remember one of the domains above, this is the one I'm taking home.

I think this is the best name for the marketplace that you listed. You also got the aesthetic of the Double-D not being together which is a benefit of nTLD's.

EDIT:

The negative is that another marketplace is using reddomains . com.

To be honest I would forget registering 20-30 names looking for the golden soup and settle on the one that:-
a) gives you the most confidence to say "this is xxxx from xxxx.ntld in your outbound.
b) you believe will give the greatest perception on inbound.

Everything else will be secondary. Good luck my friend.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back