Domain Empire

Which type of domain is a safe investment?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hey all

I'm still quite new to the whole domain game, and would appreciate people's thoughts.

If you could invest, say up to $4000 on any type of domain, which would it be and why?

Which is the most secure domain investment in today's current market? Having read some posts on the boards, it looks like 3 LLL (brandable and pronounable domains are the best bet) but somebody mentioned sales have been down since 2007...:|

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would buy one LLL.com.
LLL.com qualify as investments imo because they are more liquid. If you need cash you can liquidate them in a matter of hours if needed.
Or a strong generic keyword with obvious commercial use.

•••
Geo Domains,
Easy To remember domains,
domains that include products in them
and future targeting domain names

•••
I agree with sdsinc. Although I don't always practice what I preach :)

•••
I have learned it is essential to have .com 90% of the time for investment purposes and as sdsinc suggests liquidity. One word domains in .com are usually gold but do not dismiss many two word domains in that extension which can be worth penny's in the others. Pankajs is also right in that from my experience geo domains sell very well if targeted to the direct audience (usually the people mentioned in the geo). That being said you would have great difficulty in selling them in .co, .biz, .ws, etc.

•••
.com and numeric is my view...

•••
If you can figure out a way to short the market you will rack up. IMO

•••
$4000 divided by $20 = 200 expired domains all .com!

Now lets say you sell 100 of them at $50 each = $5000 leaving you with 100 domain names to sell for more profit!

It works for me it should work for you. You just got to research what expired domains you can flip for $200-$500 a piece!

Last edited:
•••

Now lets say you sell 100 of them at $500 each = $5000 leaving you with 100 domain names to sell for more profit!

It works for me it should work for you. You just got to research what expired domains you can flip for $200-$500 a piece!

sounds good, but that's where we're all stuck, I am trying to figure out how to catch some good domain names, but again...what is a good one !? it's the value that we cannot see, may be experience will tell ?

•••
•••
sounds good, but that's where we're all stuck, I am trying to figure out how to catch some good domain names, but again...what is a good one !? it's the value that we cannot see, may be experience will tell ?

experience only comes in one form! Trial and Error! that is how I have succeeded in flipping domains

•••
LLL.com is the best thing at this very moment. And yes, imho more people should go for domain names that are easy to remember and type. Long keyworded domains should only be bought for getting links from. :)

•••
^ this is probably some good advice.

Although. I do think LLL values will decrease over the long term just at a slower rate than the rest of the market.

This is probably the best way to lose your money since it will take the longest.

•••
I think I've said this a few times before, as have 100s of people before me.

The best investment vehicle is an underpriced .com

Domain valuation is probably the toughest aspect of this business and nobody gets it right all the time.

The easiest method is to buy commercially relevant / viable domains from resellers / drop markets and resell for a profit to end users.

There are other methods, but this is the 'safe' method.

•••
I have a couple of thoughts for you:

- Don't invest in ANYTHING unless you are 100% sure of what you are doing and you can afford to lose some or all of your investment.

- Never pay more than $10 for an expired/dropped domain unless you are using a drop-catching service.

- Don't pay much attention to anyone that talks about buying xxxx for nnn and selling for $$$$. If they provide you with details and facts, then pay close attention. Otherwise, they will make you think you are missing something when there may not really be any experience behind what they say...

- I don't think there is ANY "safe investment" with domains. Look at what economic trends have done to domain prices and I think you will agree. Yes, things like the dot-com bubble created great investment opportunities, but there could be another decline, so invest with as much knowledge as possible.

- Your safest investment may be with an expensive domain that is currently generating revenue. If you can buy a domain that is generating about $1,000 a year and you can pay $2k-$4k for it, there is a good chance you will get your money back in 2-4 years and then have pure profit after that. A domain without significant income is a larger risk since market factors are all you really have and timing can be everything.

- Don't trust what anyone says. Trust the facts and verify the facts are true.

- Never invest what you cannot afford to lose.

•••

Now lets say you sell 100 of them at $500 each = $5000 leaving you with 100 domain names to sell for more profit!

Your math seems a bit "fuzzy"

•••
Well there is nothing like that.
Each and any type of domain could make you billionaire. You just need a end user.
Anyway, I will go for keyword rich name.

•••
•••

- Don't invest in ANYTHING unless you are 100% sure of what you are doing and you can afford to lose some or all of your investment.

- Never pay more than $10 for an expired/dropped domain unless you are using a drop-catching service.

- Don't pay much attention to anyone that talks about buying xxxx for nnn and selling for $$$$. If they provide you with details and facts, then pay close attention. Otherwise, they will make you think you are missing something when there may not really be any experience behind what they say...

- I don't think there is ANY "safe investment" with domains. Look at what economic trends have done to domain prices and I think you will agree. Yes, things like the dot-com bubble created great investment opportunities, but there could be another decline, so invest with as much knowledge as possible.

- Your safest investment may be with an expensive domain that is currently generating revenue. If you can buy a domain that is generating about $1,000 a year and you can pay $2k-$4k for it, there is a good chance you will get your money back in 2-4 years and then have pure profit after that. A domain without significant income is a larger risk since market factors are all you really have and timing can be everything.

- Don't trust what anyone says. Trust the facts and verify the facts are true.

- Never invest what you cannot afford to lose.

Great post nielsencl!

A name that produces income would be my recommendation as well.

Three letter .COM's are considered "safe" because they are flippable to other resellers on any given day but they don't make great investments. They're more like collectables for domainers rather than something that's going to appreciate much over time. There's always risk of a full on LLL bubble burst if domainers realize they're overpriced or one of the big LLL holders decides to liquidate.

With a $4000 budget I would be look for good values on traffic and income producing names. Just be safe and don't get yourself scammed with false stats.

Good luck and happy domaining!

:wave:

•••
What about LLN.com liquidation? Any scope? I'm a newbie nd have a couple of them I caught using those dropcatchers. Please give me some ideas!

•••

Why not? There are so many cases in which people obviously took a risk and then they were very happy with their decision. Sometimes, people need to take risks. Unless by "investing" you mean "using all your money".

•••
Ah, because you may lose some or all of your money, if you are not 100% sure of what you are doing. What I was trying to say and I guess was not clear on, is that you may lose the money you invest with since few investments are "safe".

If you will not be able to pay for other things like food, rent, and your Internet access if you lose your investment, then it may not be worth the risk to some people.

It was to them my comment was intended, not the risk takers, the all or nothing investment daredevils. They won't pay any attention to me anyway. :)

Last edited:
•••
Same here either a keyword rich domain or a 3letters will be a sound investment..

•••
:talk:

as a few have already mentioned...

buy a revenue stream!

acquire domain names that produce revenue, so you can have a source of income for the future.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back