Domain Empire

WHO does not use it's .org

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

OceanKing

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys,

i just noticed that World Health Organization owns the domain name who.org. But it is not using it nor the domain is resolving. Insted using a less known .int domain extension.

Any comments on this?
on the other hand, the case of UN is exactly opposite to this.

Domain: who.org
Registrar: Network Solutions, LLC
Registered On: 1993-08-31
Organization:World Health Organization

Thanks.

Edited:

I though .int stands for international and it is part of newly launched gtlds. but when try to check for .int registration fees in godaddy, i just found that, it is not available for registration to every body. Further reading brought me :

The .int domain is a specialized domain offering registrations solely to intergovernmental organisations. In brief, the .int domain is used for registering organisations established by international treaties between or among national governments. Only one registration is allowed for each organisation. There is no fee for registering an .int domain name.

https://www.iana.org/domains/int

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Because they are for-profit.

•••
I think they have always used the .int

•••
I think they have always used the .int

what is .int?

interest? Just kidding, "international" huh,

.org would look and sound better

•••
int is reserved for international treaty-based organizations only like 166 of them using the .int.

•••
int is reserved for international treaty-based organizations only like 166 of them using the .int.

That's actually pretty cool, feels more exclusive than ".gov"+".edu"

•••
The .int TLD was established in 1988 and is restricted to official use by covered international organizations. This Wikipedia entry has a good writeup. While now it is restricted to UN and UN treaty organizations, in early years a looser set of international organizations qualified, a few of which grandfathered. I think that there is a good case for important international organizations, like WHO, operating on a restricted TLD.
Bob

Last edited:
•••
They could at least do a freakin` redirect from who.org to who.int instead of not resolving. It is not rocket-science.

•••
.int is reserved for international org, more appropriate.

like your government using .gov

•••
first time know this...tks..

•••
•••
•••
Amazing it was not until yesterday :-:)

Maybe it was some temporary glitch? It's hard to believe they haven't been doing it for the past 26 years. ;)

•••
may be inspired by this post?

•••
May be that is y new gtld .international was not choosing .int
Yes it is a good point and surely when .international was introduced as an open new gTLD I suspect those involved with .int were concerned about possible confusion.

However, in all new extensions the full names of UN related international organizations are protected from second level registration, and their acronyms are also restricted via a temporary ban still in development, I think. Details here, although it is a long read.

Bob

•••
int more means intelligence than international in daily use. correct abbreviation for international is intl. Maybe they really meant intelligence when creating this extension.

•••
int more means intelligence than international in daily use. correct abbreviation for international is intl. Maybe they really meant intelligence when creating this extension.

No, they definitely use it as an abbreviation for international. They 'needed' to go for a 3 letter abbreviation.

•••
No, they definitely use it as an abbreviation for international.

If the purpose is to show we are international, better use the name ' world health international organization' IMO.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back