IT.COM

Who is a registrant? Help please!

Spaceship
Watch
Hi,
I recently registred a couple of domain names through a service provider. He registred the domain name in his name and has now changed all the info to my name ie., Admin and Tech. I hold the pass word to the control panel but in the Whois lookup, It still reads his name and info as the registrant.
1. Now technically and legally who owns the domain name?
2. What position does the person who is either the Tech or the Admin hold?
3. How do I put my name and details in the registrant column of the registration process?
4. I have booked for a year now. Can I now extend the registration for 5yrs now itself?
The registration was done 5 days back. I would be greatful if you could clarify my questions at the earliest. Your web site is great and informative. Thankyou for your kind co-operation.
Regards
Rohin.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If that person has changed the domain's admin and tech details to the ones you specified then technically and legally YOU are the owner.

A possible reason for "why whois is still showing the old details" is that the page maybe cached OR your ISP's global cache hasn't resetted yet. Try using a proxy and then do a whois lookup.

Yes, your domain can be extended depending on the features that your domain registrar offers.

•••
Well... No, the registrant is the owner, the tech info has nothing to do with it. Now the admin info is interesting because generally the admin contact can do enough to effectivly be the owner, including change the registrant info.

Since you have the control panel login, why not just update the registrant info?

•••
Hi,
Thanks for the info. The info on whois has been updated and is showing the updated information in which the person who did the registration is shown as the registrant where else all the other contacts like Admin, Tech and billing details are changed to my name. Iam yet to get the username and password which should have reached me but is yet to reach me.
Could you please explain to me the different rolls of Admin, Tech and billing details. Even in future, when I appoint somebody as admin or tech, what would be their rolls and who would they effectly control domain details. Basically what are these positions.
Regards
Lishen.

•••
The difference is
Admin is Person who can change the Domain General Details (Like Office Mgr)
Tech is Person who can change things like DNS (IT Guy )
Billing is Person who gets the Renewal Requests (Accountant)
Usually set all to same ,but doesn't have to be

•••
Now Iam the admin guy. To change my email info, what should I do?

•••
rohin said:

Change it from your registrar domain manager control panel, sometimes it there. Maybe it's in you Personal Info.

•••
rohin said:

What domain registrar are you using?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back