Dynadot

Why Offer Money Back on Sales?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domaintrades

Established Member
Impact
I've occasionally seen it where domainers offer to take back a domain if the buyer requests that, say after 7 or 14 days.

I must admit I found it strange to see that, and still haven't worked out why a seller would do that.

Surely reversing the transaction must be a lot of work? If someone buys a domain would they really think they might have made a mistake and have a legitimate case for asking for their money back?

Something I just don't get.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I guess it could be useful if the buyer wants to test the traffic. But I would expect some compensation for the extra effort.

•••
I would try and accommodate the buyer and work out some reasonable solution, maybe there could be future business with this buyer :)

•••
It is quite dangerous though. You can kill a name in a few days through spamming and other actions.

•••
Something I just don't get.

I agree...if someone asks about my refund policy prior to buying I just tell them to do more research if they are not sure they want the name...too much damage can be done to a 'clean' domain accidentally or intentionally...as the wise lady has said several million times on youhootube...

"I ain't got time for that"

•••
The reason some people would offer a full money back is the belief the good will and the higher price that can be had for the confidence of a return policy, ultimately adds to the yearly bottom line.

But odd are you are not developing a domain sales brand. Just buying and selling. Also, odds are the person that buys your name will never buy another from you/forget you and your brand the next day.

I say make no promise of traffic. Sell based on name quality only, as is. No refund.

•••
I guess that installment purchases are a related concept. Pay the first months installment, and see what the name is like. If you don't like it, then cancel the purchase. Or doesn't it work that way? :)

•••
I don't usually offer it. I suppose if I thought the domain was worth more or got a better offer i might offer them to sell it back. I can't see if the sale was solid how this would ever come into play. Pressure sales usually are the ones to end up in refund options.

•••
Some years ago I bought a name back after a guy had used it for about 18 months. It was 420s.com, and the guy used it to promote a weed community. I've still got it, and I really ought to do something with it.
This isn't quite the same thing, as the name wasn't sold with a return option. It was me deciding that it was now worth more than the original selling price.

•••
One of the biggest in the game offers it.

30 Day, No Questions Asked, Money
Back Return Policy

To be eligible for a return the domain must be at the same registrar as when it was transferred to you.

Transferring the domain name to another registrar will nullify your eligibility for a refund due to technical problems in transferring a domain within 60 days of it having transferred to another registrar.

http://www.hugedomains.com/satisfaction_guaranteed.cfm

Last edited:
•••
One of the biggest in the game offers it.

30 Day, No Questions Asked, Money
Back Return Policy

To be eligible for a return the domain must be at the same registrar as when it was transferred to you.

Transferring the domain name to another registrar will nullify your eligibility for a refund due to technical problems in transferring a domain within 60 days of it having transferred to another registrar.

http://www.hugedomains.com/satisfaction_guaranteed.cfm

I also see that their terms stipulate that the domain mustn't have been used in a 'negative' manner - spam etc. And, only one refund per year is permitted.

http://www.hugedomains.com/terms.cfm

I suppose the company must be comfortable by offering refunds, but would any issues with the buyer using the domain for spamming, say, necessarily come to light at the time of the refund?

The negatives outweigh any positives.

It's good to know judging by other comments that offering refunds isn't generally something that is done.

•••
Wonka-No-Refund.jpg

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back