Dynadot

question Why would a domain owner sell his $2,000+/Month earning domain for $1000?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
This has always boggled my mind. On Flippa I see tons of websites for sale. Some blatantly showing (because they have to on Flippa) the age of their domain and site. Most of which are less than a year old. Yet somehow Flippa allows people to post their monthly earnings? and when you see these bids it just blows my mind. Anyone can do the math can't they? If the domain owner is saying he's earning $2500 a month on this website and domain he is selling then why is it he's letting or is "ok" with selling his domain for about $1500 or even $2500? Who the heck is buying these domains plus website deal?

I mean why would anyone sell their domain for $2500 if they are making $2500 a month? Also why is the buyer not considering the fact that the domain is less than a year old and maybe these stats about earning $2500 a month can be bogus?

Can someone please explain? These sites when I check them look really well "nothing to write home about" type websites. nothing to indicate to me that it is earning $2500 yet it sold for over $2500 with tons of people bidding. I'm like what the heck is going on here?Can someone please explain? Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You'd be suprised what goes on there. I have a legit site that I tried to sell on there and mistakenly said reserve was $xx99 when it was $xx95 to a bidder's question in comments and a different bidder bid over that amount and won. Never paid. He was angry that I "lied" about reserve. So essentially he just wanted to bid right up to the reserve without going over. Why? To this day I have no idea.

•••
Red flag....
Those stats are too good to be true!
Peace

•••
My assumption is flippa has money problem. They are still in phase where they cant afford to be too strict to listers...

•••
yea I knew that already Panda bear.lol but seriously it's not just one instance but many many times. I just wanted to understand because heck I could create a wordpress site right now and "fudge" the numbers too on Flippa and rake in the dough! I bought a script to create autogenerating content via RSS feeds for a WP site. so I know this can be done easy. but will someone actually buy it for $2500 just like that? even though it's a brand new website? doesn't the buyer of such a package offer start to wonder why would thee owner allow his $2500 a month website and domain to be let go for $2500?

Correct my math anyone but doesn't $2500 X 12 months = come up to $30,000 a year? and he's letting it go for $2500?

Does Flippa not monitor this? I mean even the potential buyers ask for confirmation of earning. Assuming they owner gave it to them for a "look see" can something like this be "fudged" up to look legit on paper?

Not that I'd try it of course just wanna know what the heck is going on over there.

•••
My assumption is flippa has money problem. They are still in phase where they cant afford to be too strict to listers...

Now that's the smartest thing I've heard today. no offense everyone else. soo you think that's what's going on? they are turning a blind eye to this?

•••
Now that's the smartest thing I've heard today. no offense everyone else. soo you think that's what's going on? they are turning a blind eye to this?
Believe it or not, but this kind of practice is kind of the norm with many companies, especially startups with investor money. They are pressured to make money and to look good.

•••
I avoid Flippa but wonder if they distinguish between net and gross income. I can imagine some new site spending $200 per month to yield $100 of income.

•••
oh a different note and topic. since we're talking about Flippa. I wonder if
Believe it or not, but this kind of practice is kind of the norm with many companies, especially startups with investor money. They are pressured to make money and to look good.

I believe it!

•••
I avoid Flippa but wonder if they distinguish between net and gross income. I can imagine some new site spending $200 per month to yield $100 of income.

hmmm inquiring minds wanna know. why do you "avoid Flippa"? I think that info might be useful to the conversation here.
please share.

•••
That's the internet for you. It's always been like that and will continue being like it. Flippa is just a cesspool where shill bidding is ignored, shifty practices are applied and this attracts more bad apples to the platform. Avoid flippa at all costs.

•••

So what you are talking about here is a pump and dump? I wonder how hard it would be to create a content rich website have ads like from google. and since google doesn't allow "double dipping" anymore which is the concept of putting highpaying PPC google adsense ads on one's website and then advertising for lower keywords on Adwords. I think what people are doing now is putting adsense sites and then getting PPC traffic from yahoo and other sites and even from Content advertising sites that pump traffic from like torrent sites. That traffic is almost always going to do something on your website depending on the topic. like click an ad. I can see how an unscrupulous web developer could totally spend $500 so on paper his stats show he made $2500 that month. I'm sure seller will calculate a total yearly income of $30,000 a year based on those numbers alone. The sell the website for $2500

Not bad. Although my numbers might be wrong. How much advertising could $500 get you? and how much traffic could one get for $500 a month? I'm thinking alot. In that case the monthly income for that site might be more than $2500. maybe even $5000 or more.

Hmmmm.

1.Build a website on a domain.
2. Spend $500 for traffic for 3 months for a total of $1500.
3. That amount of money will probably explode the website traffic and profits from ad clicks.
4. Maybe use a site like MGID.com that like a link exchange to get traffic from Torrents.
5. If the monthly is $5000 if you've spent $1500 and get a bid of $5000. You've made an easy $3500. That's over 200% profit. but I think the true income from the site has to be more than $5000/month if the ad budget is $500.

Can anyone say how much traffic could an ad budget of $500 a month for three months bring a website?

although on the other hand just because a website gets tons of traffic doesn't guarantee it a huge income but it is assumed in this case.
sure would love to hear peoples 2 cents here so I can understand this whole Flippa Bogus income crap.

•••
That's the internet for you. It's always been like that and will continue being like it. Flippa is just a cesspool where shill bidding is ignored, shifty practices are applied and this attracts more bad apples to the platform. Avoid flippa at all costs.

Will do. I was "about" to try it simply because it has a nice interface and allows you to upload a ton of marketing material like photos or even videos I think. but I do feel it's more geared to Website sales. not domains. hmmm on a different note. Since they are known as the website to sell your website on, I wonder if they would like my domain

WebsiteAftermarket.com

I mean DomainAftermarket.com is owned by Godaddy and points to their domain auction section. So why wouldnt Flippa want a similar domain that describes their unique business? would be nice if they bought it.

•••
Avoid flippa at all costs.
I wouldn't say at avoid at all costs, I did get paid for another site I sold there. I think you'll get refunded for posting fees if you have a non paying bidder. Just take the platform with a grain of salt and use caution.

•••

Shill bidding on Flippa? how would that benefit a seller? I know why it would benefit a seller on SEDO because a shill bid would take a free listing into the auction marketplace of SEDO for free.

But on Flippa. if you have the basic listing and someone shill bids you still are stuck in the basic section still with all the million other basic section folks. shill bidding doesnt necessarily take you to a more visible section of Flippa like on SEDO.

so please clarifiy what you mean by Shill bidding is going on in Flippa. just curious.

•••
It was months ago. I put in low bids on a couple of domains and watched the bidding. Something felt "off" and I've learned to trust my instincts in situations like that.

I spent some time around the sub-prime lending market. I know that if you can double their money in a month or two, you can always raise cash. Unless of course you have already burned all your friends. So if a seller says you can earn that kind of money on a new site he is obviously a liar and/or not disclosing all the facts.

Before I bid at Namepros I can look at the sellers trader rating. I can see if they have ratings from members I have learned can be trusted. If its only a few dollars I will bid on someone new with the idea a little loss is not a problem for me and maybe it helps them get started.

Even on Namepros the websites with income posts seem to have a lot of issues. It seems like the mods immediately jump on most of them for rule violations. I look at those jpg's of income and think you don't have to be a Photoshop genius to make them :)

•••
I wouldn't say at avoid at all costs, I did get paid for another site I sold there. I think you'll get refunded for posting fees if you have a non paying bidder. Just take the platform with a grain of salt and use caution.

thanks will do.

•••
It was months ago. I put in low bids on a couple of domains and watched the bidding. Something felt "off" and I've learned to trust my instincts in situations like that.

I spent some time around the sub-prime lending market. I know that if you can double their money in a month or two, you can always raise cash. Unless of course you have already burned all your friends. So if a seller says you can earn that kind of money on a new site he is obviously a liar and/or not disclosing all the facts.

Before I bid at Namepros I can look at the sellers trader rating. I can see if they have ratings from members I have learned can be trusted. If its only a few dollars I will bid on someone new with the idea a little loss is not a problem for me and maybe it helps them get started.

Even on Namepros the websites with income posts seem to have a lot of issues. It seems like the mods immediately jump on most of them for rule violations. I look at those jpg's of income and think you don't have to be a Photoshop genius to make them :)

Good info and advice. I'll just stick to either Godaddy or SEDO.

•••
•••
But on Flippa. if you have the basic listing and someone shill bids you still are stuck in the basic section still with all the million other basic section folks. shill bidding doesnt necessarily take you to a more visible section of Flippa like on SEDO.

Just guessing here..

If you have 1/2 people shill bidding on your listing right up to the reserve price it would look like your name is an interesting and valuable domain. We all know that people tend to bid on domains with bids..

Furthermore it could be picked up by the staff and sent out via email. You can also filter domains by the number of bids ( if I remember correctly )

I think there are some advantages on Flippa too :xf.wink:

•••
Flippa doesn't monitor much. I highly recommend staying away from their app store as they are nearly all ripped off apps of someone else's work. You can't sell domains because no one pays. you can't buy website because the stats are always fake. Also you can't call customer service because there isn't a phone number.

Flippa is only good for buying overpriced domains and selling scammy sites.

I've never seen a company with so much potential be run so poorly.

•••
It's not a real deal, and is preying on ignorance. Every deal I investigate there falls apart in the due diligence. I too have stopped using Flippa as there are just too many problems.

•••
0776f9dd-ebb7-46e7-ab2b-79f40d42d0b6.HR.jpg

•••
The reality is that its just scams.. If it looks to good to be true, then it is. People will invest their money into a website that would otherwise never earn. Sure, you can earn $100 by spending $200-$300 but after that you will realize that you're losing money and then try to dump the project. Unfortunately, new members see the "huge" potential without considering the work / investment behind it and then make the purchase thinking that its a good investment.

Its a tactic that works as a seller, however it just comes down to business ethics. That might not mean a lot to some, but I prefer to handle my business in a fashion that will still let me sleep good at night. Tricking (because lets be honest.. thats what it is) somebody under false pretenses will just lead to complaints and overall isnt a good business model. Its the same with e-commerce e-books.. do you really think that somebody would give up their business model for $29.95 if it makes them $1000+ a month on autopilot? Its just a quick way to recover your partial investment cost after experimenting and knowing that the method doesnt actually work (or has some catch to it).

•••
Flippa doesn't monitor much. I highly recommend staying away from their app store as they are nearly all ripped off apps of someone else's work. You can't sell domains because no one pays. you can't buy website because the stats are always fake. Also you can't call customer service because there isn't a phone number.

Flippa is only good for buying overpriced domains and selling scammy sites.

I've never seen a company with so much potential be run so poorly.

hahaha Kudos! Thanks for the 411. I: never knew! I was about to drop some serious cash on the "all the bells and whistles" package to get my domains sold on there. NEVERMIND!!!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back