NameSilo

Widow of smoker awarded $23 Billion in Damages

Spaceship
Watch

NPer

Very Allergic to CURRYTop Member
Impact
A jury in Florida has awarded the widow of a chain smoker who died of lung cancer at the age of 36 punitive damages of $23 billion. RJ Reynolds, the second biggest tobacco company in the US, plans to challenge “this runaway verdict.”

The judgment is the largest in Florida’s history in a wrongful death lawsuit filed by a single plaintiff, said a spokesman for the widow’s lawyer, Chris Chesnut.

Cynthia Robinson sued RJ Reynolds - which produces Winston, Camel and Pall Mall - back in 2008 over the death of her husband Michael Johnson, arguing the cigarette company concealed the dangers and addictive nature of smoking.

Read more: http://rt.com/usa/174212-tobacco-smoking-compensation-damages/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
The judge will reduce the amount

•••
They are (obviously) appealing... there will probably be little to any compensation at the end.

•••
That guy earned more money then anyone else by just smoking cigarettes :O

•••
Will she take paypal ??
~
Surely all adults know the risk by now

•••
Yeah all adults know that paypal is risky :( And with the amount that we are talking about over here. Paypal might just freeze the account after the funds are in.

•••
Ha ha …. i meant smoking is risky

•••
:D LOL

Smoking is risky no doubt about it. :)

There needs to be an industry that is against smoking and that industry should have power otherwise it is all the same :(

•••
Insane, I smoke up to 2 packs a day. Peer pressure in the Marine Corps and the Marlboro Man got me addicted. Next billionaire suing the US Government and big tobacco without doing jack ... D-:

•••
I chew tobacco from last 14 years :( Not a thing to be proud of :(

Gave it up in between for 6 months then for 3 months and then for 2 months.

It keeps coming back :(

Planning to give it up once again this September :)

•••
I chew tobacco from last 14 years :( Not a thing to be proud of :(

Gave it up in between for 6 months then for 3 months and then for 2 months.

Planning to give it up once again this September :)

Yeah, that happens...But September is some time. lol

Addictions are bad. It's funny how these things are all legal, incl. alcohol.

I smoke. And have been smoking sooo long. I think smoking weed reverses the damage of smoking tobacco.

Anyways, I hope the widow gets the dough... that would be a cool story. :)

•••
When I get sick (pneumonia or something of that sort) and just can't smoke, I revert to chewing. It's so addicting though. Once sickness passes, I can only quit dipping by eating a can of Cope. It sounds gross, but it's effective as I won't touch it unless I get sick again (which is rare, maybe once every 2 years or so with the China dust).

Try eating it and you'll be done for a while. ;)

•••
That is a great tip :) Usually I just change the brands of the Dips LOL

But that doesn't works :) Afterall it is still tobacco :(

Thanks.

•••
Just wait til all the billion dollar lawsuits from potheads start coming in a decade or two when they start coming down with cancer. They'll say, hey, the companies distributing the pot should pay for my pain, they didn't tell me smoking pot was bad for my health...............

•••
•••
Woww are you serious I wish i married that guy lol

•••
This is ridiculous ...Smoking is risky and likewise AIDS is real - If you choose to smoke, it is your choice. Meaning you chose to kill yourself. I don't smoke and can't stand the smell...

•••
Frivolous lawsuits are usually thrown out of court. Not only did this one slip by, but it got someone that much money? Did the widow or the deceased not know that smoking is bad (m'kay)?

•••
Wow if thats the case no ones gonna get paid millions of people die every year from smoking. People have learned the risks by now you would think.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back