Domain Empire

tips Windows 10 -> Sleepmode after few minutes inactivity

Spaceship
Watch

TDM

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys, i know it´s a domain forum but i guess you all at least got something like a PC :) ... so I try to get some answers here solving the following problem:

I upgraded from Vista professional to win 10 (there was a period of free upgrading so i took that chance)
Installation was very loong.. took 24h or so.. but then all went fine and smooth.

Since that upgrade my PC always went into hibernating or sleep mode after few minutes of inactivity.

I then changed energy and screensaver settings to maximum power, no sleep mode, etc.. in result nothing else than power button or [Start] [shut down/sleep] should stop my PC from running ever..

Now the thing is:

If i wake him up from sleep mode or switch it on
(I sometimes when finished work get him into sleep [Start -> Sleep Mode].. and sometimes i just power it off [Start -> Shut down])

.. however if PC is starting up/waking up .. i just look somewhere else or get me a quick coffee.. it goes down into sleep mode!

Start again.. read some printed documents on the desk.. damn thing goes into sleep again.. WTF?
Haven't figured it out yet.. but 2-5 minutes of inactivity always put him to sleep..

Then the really weird thing is:

If i worked long enough on PC (haven`t figured out HOW long.. but one to few hours seems sufficient), and then left PC alone for hours or even half day.. its still running as intended (as i switched every setting to no-screensaver, no sleep mode, no drive-shutdown, maximum energy, no hibernation-mode etc..)

Anyone else got this problem?
Anyone else know how to solve this issue?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
what's wrong if goes to sleep mode it is good because it is saving energy...

•••
1. Click on the windows icon
2. Type regedit
3. Right-click on regedit icon, click Run as administrator
4. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0
5. Double click on Attributes
6. Enter number 2.
7. Go to Advanced power settings (click on Windows button, write power options, click on Power Options, in the selected plan click on the Change plan settings, click on the Change advanced power settings).
8. Click on the Change settings that are currently unavailable
9. Click Sleep, then System unattended sleep timeout, then change these settings from 2 Minutes to 20 for example.

•••
Holy moly!

Never thought of getting such quick and detailed answer
(hope it´s working)

Thanks mate!

•••
what's wrong if goes to sleep mode it is good because it is saving energy...

I´d like to decide myself if i want to wait that 5 minutes PC powering up... just because i had that 3 minute look elsewhere and left PC with inactivity.

That "never sleep" setting i only set up because i could not get rid of that annoying behavior.

In general yes,
sleep mode, energy settings would be a good thing.

Last edited:
•••
Be careful. Make a backup copy of the registry before trying to edit just in case you mistype and mess it up so you can restore it.

•••
Be careful. Make a backup copy of the registry before trying to edit just in case you mistype and mess it up so you can restore it.

Sure! Thanks bro!

•••
•••
•••
For years I said I would switch, and it seemed too big a leap, finally when XP hit EOF, I finally was forced to try what I refer to as "cheaters linux" https://www.linuxmint.com/

A bit of a learning curve yes, yet mostly wishing I would have switched sooner!

•••
Ubuntu would be a better choice.

•••
Me too, especially with mint i´m sitting on the fence since... ever.. haha

Have just too many win reliant software here.. and don´t want to struggle with virtual machines, etc.. to use them.. but then again even my bookkeeping program is not usable anymore cause of serious bugs in win10 (for 1 year and counting they say a patch coming..)

Would have to create a .dll myself to bridge it.. and make the calls from bookkeeping software valid again.. terrible

Last edited:
•••
@johnn 100% agree. Mint is slightly less intimidating maybe? Just to start out, get a feel for things, then trade up to Ubuntu. At least that is what worked for me, the active forum support was a deciding factor, the mint forum appeared friendlier to newbs than ubuntu.

@TDM I found replacements for everything, save for Desktop Catcher which I purchased far after switch and put on an old laptop I installed Win7 on. Which is a testament to DC not Win7 : smile :

•••
ElementaryOS should have be listed here as well. It is more linux-newbie friendly and has a pretty GUI like that of a mac OS.

https://elementary.io/

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Regarding the sleep problem, though the registry is a speedy way, I do not recommend touching it. Here is how I have setup sleep options on my win 10 laptop:

1. Click on the battery icon on the taskbar and goto "Power & Sleep Settings"
win10_power_settings.png

2. You will get a new window like in the below image.
win10_power_settings_detail.jpg

3. In the Sleep section, set the timer for on battery and on plugged in
win10_power_settings_detail_2.jpg

Last edited:
•••
Thanks @Dineshkp!

Tried these settings already. No help.
I mean yes.. these settings will do what is set up.. but only after the workstation is running for so long.

If workstation is just fired up.. and a few minutes of inactivity ... then it will go into sleep mode no matter what i set up.

After few minutes of activity .. it will not go into sleep mode.

Just as an example (Screensaver and Standby = set to: never):

Today in the morning, started PC.
Went into kitchen getting a quick coffee -> come back -> sleep mode

Started again, made some work (20 minutes)
Then had some paperwork done for my spouse -> come back -> sleep mode

Started again, some online work
While running a few programs, starred at paperwork on my desk -> damn sleep mode again

Started again, continuously working on PC for an hour or longer
Then went into the city, came back 2 hours later -> PC is running as it should.

Maybe a personal thing with him and me :)

•••
Strange.. I have my settings kept to never sleep on any circumstance and it just works.

•••
Ok guys, just to let you know and maybe help someone having the same issue:

If you not want to crawl and edit registry files by yourself,
then here you have another tutorial (with file download):
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/246364-power-options-add-system-unattended-sleep-timeout.html

The reg files by above tutorial (download without forum registration) will create/delete that needed setting for you instantly. Just follow the steps.

The instructions above provided by @johnn will do that exact the same thing.

!! BACKUP REGISTRY BEFORE CHANGES !!
!! ONLY DO IF YOU TRUST THAT SOURCES !!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back