Dynadot

Work Experience from Home?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I am just wondering if anyone has, or has had any experiences with doing Year 10 Work Experience from home? I run my own company, so, surely I should be allowed to do Work Experience for it?

I am already doing what I want to do in future life, so, to me, it seems like I would be taking a step backwards anyway!

So, does anyone know if it possible to do this? I would really be very interested in doing this and feel I would learn a lot more by doing it?

Anyone have any answers?!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. But Im sure that you school won't let you do it. Mention home and they won't believe that your working.

Your best bet it to do something which is fun anyway. I went to a diving center and spent 2 weeks diving for my work experience.

•••
Yeah, thats what I thought. I have a placement lined up at an IT centre, which is what I want to do, but don't know if it will be that "fun" really.

Well, actually, what I want to do is run my own web design business, which, in my eyes is a completely different kettle of fish to working for someone. Plus, this IT centre doesn't just do web design, its all things IT. I would much prefer something web-design based.

I suppose I could just ask anyway.

•••
Just tell them what you just told me, and show them prooft of income too.

•••
I doubt they'd let you. One of the biggest reasons behind work experience is for a reference (and experience, duh!). What use would a reference from yourself about yourself be? :)

I worked in a chemists warehouse (P. Williams Warehouse). Fun, not.

•••
That's what I thought :(

I'm just going to go on work experience with my dad. He works for the AA and is one of their patrols. I'll get to go out in his AA van and watch how he works on cars etc which I'll find very interesting. It's something that I find quite interesting so it should be quite enjoyable. He's just gotta confirm with his boss and I should be all set :)

Don't suppose anyone knows if the AA accept Work Experience placements do they? I know my brother went with my dad a few years back, I hope it's still possible now *crosses fingers *

•••
I wanted to go into the police, but they don't do it.

•••
Work for SOMEONE, that way you have referrals from your previous job.
Do you mind if I ask you, if you're already doing what you want to do, why would you worry about this? Or maybe I don't get something...

•••
Yeah, that'd be difficult. It was OK with the AA a few years back like, can't imagine that much has changed there. My dad's gonna see his boss on Monday about it anyway, I'll get back to you guys about it anyway.

Until then, does anyone know if the AA do offer work experience or not?

vip, who said I was worrying? I am already doing what I want to do, which is why I want to do something different which I will find interesting and learn more about.

I was thinking about just staying off for two weeks and working on my business, but, decided not to because I thought the school wouldn't like it ;)

•••
Keep a record of clients that you design for. If they give you their phone number, you can give that to future bosses for references. Designing still involves professionalism, time management and quality of work.

•••
Yeah. It's sorted now, anyway, the AA accepts Work Experience placements so I'm going with my dad on AA patrol for two weeks. I'll learn a lot about how to fix cars and mechanics which is something that interests me.

Thanks guys!

•••
people i have done a lot for online i always ask them would it be possible for a reference in the future, and most say yes, i also worked in a shop for like 6 months, i got good reference from work experience in a youth place were young people come to look for jobs etc, and my paper round...nvm about that, i dont want a reference from there, the first 2 weeks, great, then i went round while it was raining, on my bike, and just threw the paper in there gardens when i was meant to post it, they all blew around....

•••
I would just go out and do work experience, you will learn a lot if you pick the right place.....

(Im going to Hewlett Packard)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back