NameSilo

information World’s earliest 10 domains (1 of 2)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DN.com

VIP Member
DN.com Staff
Impact
No.1: symbolics.com

This is the first . COM domain name in the world, registered in March 15th, 1985, by a Massachusetts computer company called Symbolics which is known for designing the Lisp computer, the first commercially "universal computer" and "workstation".

But Symbolics did not gain a firm foothold in the market. Symbolics closed its facilities in California in 2005, and the company's owner also died in the same year. In 2009, the domain name Symbolics.com was bought by the investment website XF.com.

No.2: BBN.com

This name was registered in April 24th , 1985 by Technologies BBN which was established by MIT professor Leo Beranek, Rechard Bolt and his student Robert Newman and therefore the company name was the first letter of their names.

BBN initially focused on acoustics, and later it began to turn to the field of computer networks. In the 1960s it participated in the ARPANET and Internet initial R&D works and it was known for "the third university" after Harvard University, MIT in the 1960s and 1970s.

But time changes. In 2009, the Raytheon Co offered a wholly owned acquisition of BBN. In December 2014, BBN.com was redirected to Raytheon Co official website.

No.3: think.com

The Thinking Machine company registered think.com in 1985. It started to make profits by agreement with DARPA in 1989; In the second year, the total revenue is $6.5 billion and it became the market leader in parallel computing. But soon defeats followed. In 1994, the company declared bankruptcy and its hardware business was acquired by Sun Microsystems; two years later, the software business also bought by Sun Microsystems.

However, Sun Microsystem has been acquired by Oracle Corp, so it could be said that the Thinking Machine company has become a part of Oracle Corp; while the domain Think.com is unable to access to.

No.4: mcc.com

In July 11th , 1985, the domain name MCC.com was registered by Microelectronicsand computer Technology Corporation. In a sense, MCC is a industry alliance organization focusing on microelectronics and computer technology instead of a company.

However MCC does not accept funds from the government over the years. Later it witnessed the development of information technology such as artificial intelligence, software, human-computer interaction, database, parallel computation and so on. Many mainstream computer companies were listed in in the 80's, including even some government R &D institutions and universities.

But in 2000, MCC voted and finally dissolved.

No.5: dec.com

The domain name was registered in Sept 30th, 1985 by Digital Equipment Corporation which was established in 1957 by Olson, a former IBM employee.

In 1966, Dec was listed; it became the 475 large companies in the United States in March 1974, among "top 500 U.S. companies" selected by magazine"happiness" ; by 1985, the order of precedence is 65.

But later, there were a series of serious mistakes. On Jan 26th, 1998, Dec was acquired by Compaq at a price of $9.6 billion due of financial crisis;On Jun 11th , 1998, the company was delisted from the New York Stock Exchange . But two years later, Compaq was acquired by HP .

Currently dec.com is directed to a private site, and the domain name is not on sale.

Declaration: this is an informative article that do not represent official investing advice, with no intend in misleading readers.Please be open-minded and objective. Welcome varied discussion below.Thanks!

Update: Part 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
to think that when I set hands on a computer for the very first time (a Sinclair QL), something unknown to me at the time and directly related to computers was giving birth

•••
Personally if I owned one of the first top 10 domain names in the World I would not be redirecting it.
I'd have to have a website on it..
&
I know that one or two are not for sale but it's still a shame that they are redirecting them.

They should be gloating that they own history...

•••
Anybody know where there is a more extensive list of early registrations?

I'd love to see the first 100 or more.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back