IT.COM

Yahoo Inc to rename to Altaba

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

premkumar

Top Member
Impact
Look like after Verizon deal and selling yahoo name and email services to verizion, yahoo inc will be renamed to Altaba . My first thing after reading is checking whois of Altaba but look like owned by yahoo and created in 2001, too long for a 6L. Altaba will be the most valuable 6L pick by a billion dollar company, infact most valuable domain name pick of 2017. Yahooooooooooooo...Wish had this 6L :)

What you guys quote , if you own this domain and yahoo approach you to buy it ? :P

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
When Verizon agreed to buy the company for $4.8 billion in July, it planned to purchase just Yahoo's core Internet businesses, which include its email service, sports verticals and various apps. What's left of the embattled technology company would essentially be its ownership in the very valuable Chinese Internet giant Alibaba.

The new name is meant to be a combination of the words “alternative and Alibaba,” according to a person familiar with the company’s thinking, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the individual was not authorized to speak on the record about the name change.

Article HERE

•••
Look like after Verizon deal and selling yahoo name and email services to verizion, yahoo inc will be renamed to Altaba . My first thing after reading is checking whois of Altaba but look like owned by yahoo and created in 2001, too long for a 6L. Altaba will be the most valuable 6L pick by a billion dollar company, infact most valuable domain name pick of 2017. Yahooooooooooooo...Wish had this 6L :)

What you guys quote , if you own this domain and yahoo approach you to buy it ? :P

the name was most likely acquired (along with a few others) before the name was decided on and announced.

•••

AltBaba.com might be the beneficiary of confused searchers / type ins. It's currently for sale on GD with a BIN of $799 HERE. Seems this could be more valuable now?

upload_2017-1-9_23-8-52.png

•••
Whatever the reason, they couldn't paid less than 5 figure for it, if the seller find out its yahoo. Also their is reasoning behind this same as Alternative Alibaba

•••
Great find, but Altaba is more like ABC.xyz of google, no end user service, they are like investment firm with 15% stake in Alibaba

•••
Only the investment part of Yahoo that will be renamed ‘Altaba’, while the main brand will retain its name

www.altaba.financial free to register for someone who wants to take a punt ;)

•••
AltBaba.com might be the beneficiary of confused searchers / type ins. It's currently for sale on GD with a BIN of $799 HERE. Seems this could be more valuable now?

Show attachment 46641

Domain is no longer for sale. ha! I wonder who the buyer is...

•••
can i just say the name sucks, it sure doesn't roll off your tongue

•••
•••
I still remember when Yahoo rejected the Microsoft buyout, one or the worst business calls of all time.

I actually like AltBaba better if they are using the Alternative to Alibaba them than Altaba which you have to pause for a second to say Alt Ahhh Ba almost like a sheep

•••

They would have approached in stealth, poor student, for a project, you would have never seen them coming, or expected anything of it. The party that happend to own it, owned it for a while.

If you check variations around it, they have been owned for a long time, lots of Chinese registrants, so since it was in use, I hope the seller got a good deal. Yahoo has wasted so much money otherwise, let's hope the sellers got a fair shake.

Last edited:
•••

Show attachment 46641
This is the dangers of BIN's, you are a sitting duck sometimes.

•••
Thank god Merissa Mayer finally is off the board, she did frigging great @killing Yahoo.

•••
altbaba.com now is owned from uniregistry and is for sale , how much ask for it ?

•••
Not a fan. Good luck to them

•••
altbaba.com now is owned from uniregistry and is for sale , how much ask for it ?

They already acquired Altaba.com, the last update on the whois shows the date "25-10-2016", so perhaps acquired during the same time frame via MarkMonitor.

•••
They already acquired Altaba.com, the last update on the whois shows the date "25-10-2016", so perhaps acquired during the same time frame via MarkMonitor.
No they are talking about altbaba which looks similar, mm totally missed this one at that bin, even if they purchased it for alibaba it would be a good hold, as a single letter the T seperates it

•••
Thank god Merissa Mayer finally is off the board, she did frigging great @killing Yahoo.
She made a fortune in doing so, I read she made $122,000,000 and change from Yahoo,.

•••
She made a fortune in doing so, I read she made $122,000,000 and change from Yahoo,.

That's actually the sad bit.
The chatrooms were still very popular while they phased those out. People still miss the yahoo chatrooms.

•••
rename all you like.. you can still take a hike!

•••

Yeah - the NameServers changed. Kinda kicking myself for not scooping it BIN while I had the chance... Hopefully the owner comes forward :D

•••
You found a gold and you ignore it. You must be rich.

•••

Yeah she sucks. Noting good she tired. But I have seen people like her close down an empire and sell it in bit and pieces and exit. I find not to think, does this people get an under the table fortune to sell the company to 3rd party. If I remember correctly, myspace sold for just $5 million by its last CEO, point to note at it peak myspace sold its ad space to google for $800 million per year

Not a fan. Good luck to them

But I am, I still use Yahoo mail and I used yahoo messenger till they take out public chat. Infact Yahoo public chat room is best place to find friend, like minded people and opp sex for dating.

You found a gold and you ignore it. You must be rich.

Which one you are talking about Altbaba?

•••
But I am, I still use Yahoo mail and I used yahoo messenger till they take out public chat. Infact Yahoo public chat room is best place to find friend, like minded people and opp sex for dating.
What I meant to say is that Im not a fan of the new name. I still use the same yahoo email that Ive had since the heyday of Angelfire, Tripod, and Geocities lol

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back