Dynadot

Your Location and Your Meet-Up Experiences

Spaceship
Watch

Bannen

Don't say Huh? too much; pretend you understand.Top Member
Impact
SING OUT: Where you from, and who you seen?

1. your city and country.
2. and (only if you don't mind) mention any real-life hookups you've had with other members here (that have happened AWAY from domainer events like conventions). *Not that I'm suggesting this thread as a social greeting platform, that one you have to decide for yourselves and consider all precautions.

Me:
1. Victoria, B.C. Canada
2. First, just earlier this year I found out that Mis_Chiff, member and retired mod here, lived in the same city (not Victoria; I just moved here recently). So we PM'd a bit, then switched to emails, then locked down where in town we lived... literally a block away from each other, ha ha. Awhile later I wandered over, about a 2 minute walk, and we met and chatted in the real world.
Second, shortly after mentioning on this forum that I moved to Victoria I was contacted by another member here, a newbie who'd just signed up. He lives here too. We chatted, then switched to email, then finally met in the real world a couple times. And we just had lunch yesterday and a fun visit and a little talk about domains.

If you don't like 'outing' yourself, don't post; if you do...
...Where you from?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello :)

Greetings from Chicago suburbs!
Prospect Heights, Illinois, US.

I registered just 3 days ago, so I did not have an opportunity to meet anyone YET.
I hope it will change and I will be able to both learn and contribute to this community.

Best regards,
Kasia.

•••
Me - Downtown Vancouver BC

•••
•••
next time your on the mainland drop me a pm - and we can have a meet up

•••
(Currently) - San Antonio, Texas, USA here

I've met a few domain investors over the years both locally and a few over the road in my previous travels. You would be amazed at how much snowbirding in an RV has changed over the years with mobile technology and free wifi all over the country. Many of the investors I met in the past were just that, mostly couples traveling the county in an RV (Going north for the summer and south for the winter). Funding their travels via domain sales and other online ventures.

I do have plans to go on tour again (Hopefully by mid-2014) and visit all the lower 48 states again (Possibly most territories of Canada again as well, not sure on that yet.). It would be nice to meet-up with at least 1 or 2 domain groups from each state during that trip in person (Hopefully more).

I'll keep everyone updated as I get closer to my trip in the Meet-Up forum. This is a nice thread though for general discussion about domainers that have met and where everyone's from. Maybe a few stories about your experiences when you met or even your hopes to get more social in the future and start meeting more domainers eventually in person.

Added Note: Lets try not to use this thread to schedule any meet-ups though. Please use the Meet-Up forum to start your own thread.

Thanks,

Eric Lyon

Last edited:
•••
Eugene, Oregon (USA)
Track Town USA and home of the once-mighty Oregon Duck Football Team.

I haven't met any NPers in the 9+ years I've been a member. It would be cool to have a meetup if any other Eugenians are out there.

•••
N. Orlando, Florida here.

I have met with a few domainers who use our site and live here locally, but none from namepros. If anyone lives or visits the orlando area we are always up to do breakfast or lunch. Lots of good eats around here. :kickass:

•••
Oh, another meet-up experience - though not a meet-up, kind of the reverse: I worked out at the same gym as Garry Chernoff, one of the domain pioneers, back in the '80's and we became good friends. Back then Garry was a blue-collar electrician, and I was drawing and writing comic books for Marvel and other companies, starting to become famous in the industry.

Fast forward to now, and I've left my comics career far behind (mostly - I still get offers, like the one last weekend to do a graphic novel, a year long project - I settled for me just doing a pin up, a 2 day project, ha) and am just some schmuck riding around on my motorcycle and getting by in interesting ways, and Garry is in domaining stardom. What a turnaround for the two of us. Egad.

Garry still lives in the town I just moved away from. We said our goodbyes but I'm actually just heading back there tomorrow to visit fam so will visit him too.

Last edited:
•••
The good old Jersey Shore for me: http://no_url_shorteners/maps/7AwHR

I met 2 people through NamePros in which I talk to on a daily basis.

One of them actually became my partner in a successful start-up that was launched last year, and the other became the lead designer/developer for the site.

It's a really nice team we created.

There is a wealth of knowledge, tools, experience, and opportunities right here at your figure tips.

You just have to know how to grab it.

•••
•••
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Amsterdam, Holland
Do not know if anybody from this small country...

•••
Minneapolis, Minnesota

I've met quite a few members and have had nothing but good meetups with them and many more. I have attracted quite a few investors into the domain ring as well from other verticals such as stock, housing, etc.

Be nice to meet up with more as well but will keep that to a thread on it's own.

•••
Obviously, I am a citizen of the Seattle area.
I have never met any domainers in meatspace.

But, Michel Cyger is hosting an event for us next month!
At the top of the Space Needle.

Then I am going to NamesCon.
Will I see you there?

•••
I'm in the D.C. area.

DomainBizDev, I'm also going to NamesCon. Hope to see you there! I shouldn't be hard to spot, since I'll be one of the few people in a dress.

In terms of having met other domainers, I now have a couple people I consider friends from this forum, and from Twitter, and we occasionally talk offline. I've met a few local domain investors at an informal meetup we do 1-2x a year, and made my first real contacts in the industry at Domainfest's one-day networking event in NY in 2010. It's too bad they decided to discontinue it. I'm still in contact with several of the friends I made there.

This is an interesting industry. Most people come from a variety of fields and backgrounds, so there is a lot of variety.

•••
Chicago for Life although I may move to Tampa this summer which is kinda scary as Chicago is all I know and very well at that. Met 1 person from this forum when I traveled to Omaha, NE and met 1 person from an old forum that doesn't exist anymore here in Chicago. Usually very busy so getting schedules to align usually tough to sync up.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back