NameSilo

10 technologies to watch in 2004

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

phrone

Account Suspended
Impact
These could be great.. The spam one D-: GREAT!
SOURCE

Home networking
Ultra-wideband: Imagine a television that can wirelessly send three different programs to separate monitors. Low-power, low-cost, and with roughly 45 times the data transmission speed of run-of-the-mill Wi-Fi, this wireless technology is finally ready to debut in the living room.

Supply chain
RFID: While they've been talked about a lot, radio frequency identification tags have yet to appear in a big way in the supply chain. Wal-Mart is making it happen: All its suppliers must use the tags for pallets and cases of merchandise by 2005.

Wireless broadband
802.16: WiMax enables wireless networks to extend as far as 30 miles and transfer data, voice, and video at faster speeds than cable or DSL. It's perfect for ISPs that want to expand into sparsely populated areas, where the cost of bringing in DSL or cable wiring is too high.

Energy
Micro fuel cells: Japan's largest wireless phone carrier, NTT DoCoMo, plans to introduce cell phones powered by miniature fuel cells -- which run on hydrogen or methanol -- late next year. Look for them to also show up as expensive add-ons for high-end laptops.

Household products
Gecko tape: Lizards climb walls using the mechanical adhesive force of millions of tiny hairs on their feet. A synthetic version of those microscopic hairs allows gecko tape, developed at England's University of Manchester, to stick to almost any surface without glue. Applications include gloves that allow a person to climb a glass wall, the ability to move computer chips in a vacuum, and new bandages.

Software
Antispam software (that works): If you've tried filters, whitelists, and blacklists, chances are you still receive plenty of junk e-mail. "Challenge/response" technology may be the answer; it requires senders to manually verify their identity before e-mail is passed along to the intended recipient.

Consumer electronics
OLEDs: Organic light-emitting diodes are brighter and use less power than normal light-emitting diodes. (They rely on carbon with nitrogen, oxygen, and hydrogen elements -- thus, the "organic" tag.) They're perfect for screens on cell phones, digital cameras, and camcorders, and even for a new crop of affordable flat-panel monitors.

Lighting
LED lightbulbs: LEDs will outrun obsolescence by moving into the home. Philips is already pushing its Luxeon line of LED lightbulbs, which can last 10 to 50 times as long as incandescent bulbs while consuming 80 percent less energy.

Computer memory
MRAM: Magnetoresistive random access memory is (in theory, anyway) more than 1,000 times faster than the fastest current nonvolatile flash memory and nearly 10 times faster than DRAM. "Nonvolatile" means it retains memory when the power is off. Add in its low power consumption, and it's perfect for use in an upcoming crop of computers and cell phones.

Medicine
Bioinformatics: Researchers, such as those at IBM Life Sciences, are finally getting a handle on building complex protein models to aid in drug discovery. The new, computationally accurate models mean that potential drugs can be identified more quickly and stand a better chance of working.

SOURCE!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i'll be looking out for the Home networking and Wireless broadband :)

•••
Pretty cool stuff! It's exciting just thinking about the possibilities.

•••
Thanks for the info, phrone.

•••
I like the idea of the spam filters that work :) I might try to sel my domain then: spamzapper.net :)

•••
great info thanks a bunch

•••
blue ray DVD - 5 times the capacity of normal DVDs.
No link, sorry - heard it on the BBC.

•••
•••
No problem for posting this :D

•••
That's why we launched www.XV.net eXtreme Email Protection (XEP v1.0) stop spam tool challenge-response, the technology that requires the sender to verify the email before it pass along to the intended recipients.

:gl:

•••
Originally posted by TheWatcher
That's why we launched www.XV.net eXtreme Email Protection (XEP v1.0) stop spam tool challenge-response, the technology that requires the sender to verify the email before it pass along to the intended recipients.

:gl:

Pretty Cool :tu:

•••
Check it out. And I will upgrade your account for 6months free. I guess I need to post this to the advertisement section.

cheers,
TW

•••
Thanks for sharing.
Neat stuff!
ST

•••
Thanks for the info! Nice ideas for development!

•••
Originally posted by jj2ii3344
Thanks for the info! Nice ideas for development!

You don't have to develop, we are offering turn-key solution for businesses early next year. Check out update www.xv.net.

Cheers,
TW

•••
Woo! Nice domain TheWatcher, I am looking at your website now ^^

•••
Originally posted by jj2ii3344
Woo! Nice domain TheWatcher, I am looking at your website now ^^

Thank you ...

•••
Thanks for sharing phrone. Nice.

•••
Re: 10 technologies to watch in 2004

Originally posted by phrone
Computer memory
MRAM: Magnetoresistive random access memory is (in theory, anyway) more than 1,000 times faster than the fastest current nonvolatile flash memory and nearly 10 times faster than DRAM. "Nonvolatile" means it retains memory when the power is off. Add in its low power consumption, and it's perfect for use in an upcoming crop of computers and cell phones.

Ahh, MRAM, I think it's being developed by IBM, or so my father says. He currently works for IBM though, they say it will be released in fall 2004, I think anyway.

•••
This would be more interesting if there were more specifics.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back