Dynadot

60 day lock

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ken Bluttman

Established Member
Impact
is this 60 day lock after registration just a GoDaddy thing? Or is this the case with any registrar?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
60 day rule for transferring to another registrar is ICANN rule so for any registrar basically.

•••
oh! Thanks for the info. Just trying to understand something basic with domaining then. I thought people go purchase domains and flip them, sometimes in days, even hours. I've seen threads in here talk of that. How are they doing that if they have to wait 60 days? Thanks!

•••
You can transfer the domain within the same registrar..From Godaddy to Godaddy..

•••
You can transfer the domain within the same registrar..From Godaddy to Godaddy..

...which we call "pushing" a domain, BTW ;)

•••
Thanks for the help! Can I use a scenario here.. I am thinking of trying local domain sales, Let's say I live in a town named Greentree. There are 6 dentists in Greentree. I buy the domain greentreedentist or greentreedentistry. I approach these dentists and offer them the domain. We negotiate and they are interested. We make a deal. But the last step -- to actually make it so they can start using the domain immediately -- I instruct them to open an account at GoDaddy and then I can get it to them without waiting?

•••
Yes.

Actually, they can start using the domain while it's still in your hands. All you need to do is redirect it to their chosen provider's nameservers or webserver/mailserver. Pushing it to their account, however, gives them total control over the asset.

Last edited:
•••
wow! This has potential. I am a web developer. Besides getting them domain, the next step would likely be - they need someone to make the web site!

I do have a further question - I also see that many people pick up expired or expiring domains - so if ones I end up getting are on another registrar - I become the purchaser. If I understand correct, then now I am the one that can only start using it if the nameservers are pointing to wherever I tell the seller. But if I want to flip it, I now have to wait 60 days to have full control to do so? UNLESS (tell me if this correct) - all of this is occurs on the same registrar? So in another words, if I wish to purchase an expiring domain - I should just stick with ones on GoDaddy (since I have a GD account)? Hope that makes sense. Thanks!

•••
...So in another words, if I wish to purchase an expiring domain - I should just stick with ones on GoDaddy (since I have a GD account)? Hope that makes sense. Thanks!

Well, pro domainers have accounts with all relevant registrars and more, so no such constraints. Like with any other business, you need to have the tools of the trade ;)

Last edited:
•••
Well, pro domainers have accounts with all relevant registrars and more, so no such constraints. Like with any other business, you need to have the tools of the trade ;)

Just be mindful of which registrars you use, as some are particularly difficult to deal with, and can hamper potential sales

•••
Just be mindful of which registrars you use, as some are particularly difficult to deal with, and can hamper potential sales

Yep. That know-how is an important part of the package that I call "pro domainer" :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back