IT.COM

No 60-day transfer lock after transferring a domain name?

NameSilo
Watch

Allysin

Established Member
Impact
I need to give a few of my domains to someone else. I always thought there was a '60-day no transfer lock' in place after transferring a domain name to a different registrar? I have transferred a bunch of .com domains to Namecheap during their Black Friday sale (about 30 days ago). I believed that a 60-day no transfer lock is automatically put in place but I've gone on chat with them and they said the following:

In general, domains can be locked for 60 days only after registration. A previous transfer does not affect this.

He then checked the particular domains I was asking about (where I thought I would have to wait another 30 days still) and came back with the following:

All domains can be transferred.

How does this work? Is there an ICANN rule or can each registrar work this differently? It would be good to know going forward. I am 100% certain other registrars refused to allow a transfer out request due to a '60 day lock after a transfer' rule.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Some registrars allow it and others don't, the only rule all registrars must abide to - as frar as I know - is the 60 days lock after the reg

Last edited:
•••
Correct, the 60 day lock after transfer is optional for a registrar to apply. Many want to apply it as it makes you stay as their customer for longer.

Observe that even if a registrar does not apply 60 day lock after transfer, there is still a 5 day lock for the duration of the transferPeriod. That is applied by registry and registrar can't affect it.

•••
I've talked to another 'domain concierge' at Namecheap today and he repeatedly told me it is NOT possible to transfer OUT for 60 days after transferring IN:

"Please note that to transfer your domain from Namecheap to another buyer, it should be registered for 60 days or longer with the current Registrar (Namecheap in your case).
So, if for example, you transfer the domain from another registrar to Namecheap and want to sell it to the person who wants to manage it on another platform, please wait for at least 60 days from the transfer date."

"But if the buyer has a Namecheap account as well, the 60 day lock is not applicable in this case and the domain can be moved to another Namecheap account anytime."

Surely, this cannot be dependent on who you ask? They must have a policy in place?

•••
I don't think this is such a big issue. Domainers should be interested in serious end users that don't mind watinig for a couple days. It's very rare to sell a name that fast anyway.
My fastest and only sale within the 60 day lock was 45 days after registration. The end user received the domain 20 days later and did not have any issue at all.

Last edited:
•••
I don't think this is such a big issue. Domainers should be interested in serious end users that don't mind watinig for a couple days. It's very rare to sell a name that fast anyway.
My fastest and only sale within the 60 day lock was 45 days after registration. The end user received the domain 20 days later and did not have any issue at all.
But I'm talking about transferring a domain I was renewing for 10 years as an example. And I do believe time is of the essence often as the faster you complete a deal, the more likely it is to go through...

•••
But I'm talking about transferring a domain I was renewing for 10 years as an example. And I do believe time is of the essence often as the faster you complete a deal, the more likely it is to go through...

So far I don't know any registrar that one can transfer out before 60 days

But don't worry, many registrars have push option

Last edited:
•••
You can (if the loosing and gaining registrar allows you to) transfer away again at any given moment.... Its up to the registrar, ICANN allows it.

However...

If you transfer a second time within a period of 45 days after the first transfer, the registration period will NOT get extended by one year on the second transfer.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back