Domain Empire

question 60 day transfer lock

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

rubencouto

DN FrontTop Member
Impact
Hello!

Recently I received a few domains pushed into in my Dotster, NetFirms and MyDomain accounts. They were very close to expiration. I updated the contact info and made sure the option "Opt Out of 60 Day Transfer Lock" was checked (as a matter of a fact, this option is checked by default on all these three registrars, when updating the contact info - both when you update a single domain and when you update them in bulk). Regarding three domains registered at MyDomain I had no problem and these were not locked. However, by some tech issue (I believe) the remaining domains fell under the 60 day transfer lock (in each registrar) and I'm unable to move them out.

I appealed to their supports (support tickets) and NetFirms manually removed the transfer lock on their domains. However, Dotster and MyDomain told me that the 60 day transfer lock had been set upon contact info change and could not be removed, so I have to wait it out. I asked them again to review the transfer lock and now I'm witing for their response.

I would like to know if anyone else has had this kind of issue and how did you solve it (if so).

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Since they all operate on the same system, from a technical standpoint if NetFirms was able to remove the lock, then clearly Dotster and MyDomain can as well.

You will have to TELL support that you know they can remove it, stating that it was done at NetFirms, and ask to be escalated to a supervisor until you reach someone who has the technical knowledge to actually make it happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reading this carefully, registrars have the ability to unlock - although they can set their own rules around how it can be lifted, you can quote them this policy if that helps:

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/transfer-policy-2016-06-01-en

Section II.C.2. The Registrar must impose a 60-day inter-registrar transfer lock [*4] following a Change of Registrant, provided, however, that the Registrar may allow the Registered Name Holder to opt out of the 60-day inter-registrar transfer lock prior to any Change of Registrant request.

[*4] The Registrar may, but is not required to, impose restrictions on the removal of the lock described in Section II.C.2. For example, the Registrar will only remove the lock after five business days have passed, the lock removal must be authorized via the Prior Registrant's affirmative response to email, etc.

Another solution for you is simply PUSH to NetFirms - have Dotster and MyDomain remove the domains in question from their respective accounts and use "Add Existing" to add them to NetFirms (without paying for transfer and extending the expiration) To the best of my knowledge, there is no restriction on PUSHING a domain under lock, especially if you are pushing to yourself at a different sibling and all the info matches anyway. You do NOT have to tell them you are pushing to a different sibling, just keep it generic.

Then since NetFirms is the only support willing and able to remove the lock, you can have NetFirms support remove it.

That's a lot more hassle for you though, AND I would be certain to test it with a single domain first, just to be safe.

ALSO be aware that they AUTOMATICALLY update to AUTO RENEW ON during push
AUTO Renew after push

I noticed when I have pushed with or without transfer/renewal that the domain is changed to AUTO renew, even if I had it set to MANUAL before push.

So be sure to change it back to MANUAL after it is moved, if of course you want it manual. If I am doing a bunch, I wait until they are all done then do it with the BULK function.

PS This is an important reminder if you sell a domain, you can let the buyer know also so they are not caught off-guard either.

Last edited:
•••
Since they all operate on the same system, from a technical standpoint if NetFirms was able to remove the lock, then clearly Dotster and MyDomain can as well.

You will have to TELL support that you know they can remove it, stating that it was done at NetFirms, and ask to be escalated to a supervisor until you reach someone who has the technical knowledge to actually make it happen.

Reading this carefully, registrars have the ability to unlock - although they can set their own rules around how it can be lifted, you can quote them this policy if that helps:

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/transfer-policy-2016-06-01-en

Section II.C.2. The Registrar must impose a 60-day inter-registrar transfer lock [*4] following a Change of Registrant, provided, however, that the Registrar may allow the Registered Name Holder to opt out of the 60-day inter-registrar transfer lock prior to any Change of Registrant request.

[*4] The Registrar may, but is not required to, impose restrictions on the removal of the lock described in Section II.C.2. For example, the Registrar will only remove the lock after five business days have passed, the lock removal must be authorized via the Prior Registrant's affirmative response to email, etc.

Another solution for you is simply PUSH to NetFirms - have Dotster and MyDomain remove the domains in question from their respective accounts and use "Add Existing" to add them to NetFirms (without paying for transfer and extending the expiration) To the best of my knowledge, there is no restriction on PUSHING a domain under lock, especially if you are pushing to yourself at a different sibling and all the info matches anyway. You do NOT have to tell them you are pushing to a different sibling, just keep it generic.

Then since NetFirms is the only support willing and able to remove the lock, you can have NetFirms support remove it.

That's a lot more hassle for you though, AND I would be certain to test it with a single domain first, just to be safe.

ALSO be aware that they AUTOMATICALLY update to AUTO RENEW ON during push
AUTO Renew after push

I noticed when I have pushed with or without transfer/renewal that the domain is changed to AUTO renew, even if I had it set to MANUAL before push.

So be sure to change it back to MANUAL after it is moved, if of course you want it manual. If I am doing a bunch, I wait until they are all done then do it with the BULK function.

PS This is an important reminder if you sell a domain, you can let the buyer know also so they are not caught off-guard either.
All this is very helpful @usernamex !! :)

•••
One trick that did work for me (technically, it should be a bug) is to make another change in the whois information and make sure you opt out this time. Ideally, e-mail ID change will be the best as it will trigger a reconfirmation of whois. IIRC, this worked for me awhile ago. Give this a shot

•••
UPDATE:

- It turns out NetFirms thought they had removed the 60 day transfer lock but in fact it didn't work. So, no use in transfering the names that are at MyDomain and Dotster to NetFirms, because they are also unable to provide a solution at this time.

- Also regarding NetFirms, they told me they will escalate my ticket to a senior representative to see if he can manage to have the lock removed.

- Regarding MyDomain and Dotster, we are still sending messages back and forth... They tried to remove the transfer lock by simply changing the contact info again and checking the 60 day transfer lock opt-out option. It didn't work.

- It seems to me very strange that ICANN accredited registrars are not able/willing (?) to follow ICANN's guidelines... So I'm still hoping someone will provide me a solution! I'll keep uyou posted. :)

•••
UPDATE:

- Finally all of MyDomain's names have been taken out of transfer lock and I was able to complete the transfer out.

- Dotster has managed to solve the situation of 2 out of 6. So I think they will also be able to sort out a solution for the remaining 4.

- NetFirms hasn't given more info yet.

I feel like I'm using a corkscrew!! :xf.grin:

•••
It was a technical issue at their end?

•••
I hope I can get out of these 60 day transfer locks too!
5 .com domain names were transferred to our other account yesterday.
As a result, we received 5 messages stating that all 5 domain names received a 60 day transfer lock.
Can't laugh with it though.
None of the domains require renewal, they all have about 11 months to go (it has just been locked because a transfer took place within the same registrar, and they do not allow more than 1 transfer of a domain every 60 days).
At first I thought it was a joke!

•••
•••
UPDATE:

Finally all transfer locks have been removed and all the transfers have been concluded.
For what I understood, their solution was to update again the contact info for each domain, using an alternate email address and checking the opt-out option (like I had already done).

•••
You're very lucky.
We can't get out of the 60 day transfer locks.
Policy of the registrar, no negotiation about it possible.

•••
@ArabExplorer - what registrar?

@rubencouto - thanks for the updates, at some point I may experiment if changing the email can fool the lock at DomFam

•••
@ArabExplorer - what registrar?

@rubencouto - thanks for the updates, at some point I may experiment if changing the email can fool the lock at DomFam
Interestingly, one of those registrars advised me not to do so (in one of our first emails) because they said it wouldn't work and it would only reset the 60 day count. However, it seems to me that this (changing the email) is exactly what they did to remove the 60 day transfer lock.
One thing I'm completely sure about is that everytime I updated my contact info (both in bulk situations and with individual domains) the option to "opt-out the 60 day transfer lock" was always checked (by default). And that didn't work somehow...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back