NameSilo

AdSense and Sports

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm developing a sports related site locally. One thing that I've noticed is that the Adsense relevancy of its ads is pretty lame.

For example: In one instance I am writing content about a bad call that took place during a sporting event. Adsense must have chosen the word "call" as its choice keyword because the ads displayed are dealing with telephone and VoIP products.

I feel confident that any marketing campaign I push for this developed website will fail because adsense isn't holding up its end of the deal. Is there a way to get Adsense to limit its search to a few choice keywords?

Have you had similar experiences? Let me know what you did to remedy the problem. Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
you can also try image ads and see if you like them better than text

•••
It's pretty tough to get targeted ads with some niches. I have a sports blog that has a main adsense block with 3 ads. 1 is relevant, and two aren't. It seems to vary depending on when you visit the page.

You can try blocking the non-relevant ads, but it's not guaranteed to bring up only relevant ads. I've also found the revenue to be not too hot for sports-related clicks.

•••
Sports sites suck for revenue and conversion.

•••
Sports is a very low paying niche probably because less competition ? If you don't get relevant ads then have less ad blocks then you have now. It might work.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back