IT.COM

discuss Anyone else have Sedo send Parking/Sales Lander to Spam Sites?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

decode

Established Member
Impact
So yesterday I put a bunch of my domain names onto the Sedo Sales Platform. Went ahead and redirected the Name Servers so they would go to the Sedo Parking Page with Sales Page info.

I started to double check if the name servers were set correctly by visiting each domain via direct type-in, never to click ads, just to make sure it brings up the Sedo lander + sales page with the correct info.

Well, what I noticed seems like some illegal ad network activity. When you direct type-in the domain names they go through a series of redirects and wind up on shady MacKeeper spam, or Quiz site spam. One looped through multiple redirects and wound up landing directly on HomeDepot.com, is home depot paying for spam traffic, that's a nice look for them, right?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Sedo - as a massive reseller with verifiable domain value expertise would certainly understand how this could permanently damage the value and usability of the domain names.

Another thing I noticed was that after double checking the names and going through all the redirects to spam if I cleared cache/cookies sometimes the pages would load correctly to the proper traditional Sedo Lander and sometimes they go through the shady redirect loop again.

Either way, it would appear that the network has major ethical issues and could be harming the value of lots of domain names. No one could honestly argue that a site redirect through multiple spam type sites leading to spam pop up quizzes does not harm the domain?

Interested in what the community thinks.

If anyone has any new names they loaded if they checked them and had the same problem.

What is the risk exposure for Sedo to do this? If 10,000 domains are routed like this one time or found by google to be spam because of it how much money would they owe to the dn owners. With a conservative estimated avg. value / sales price of $1,000 on just 10,000 domains they would owe $10 Million.

Would you buy a domain name that you researched and found routed to a MacKeeper site or a spam Quiz site with force pop-up?

Anyways, if you test out any of your names, take screen shots or video. If your existing names work fine try adding a new one to see if it happens to you.

FYI - Tried letting Sedo Support know about this but their Support Submission page does not support Safari .... and it is 2015. Like, Safari marketshare incl. iOS and Mac is so large how can they not have a support system that works with it? 55% of total US mobile browsing happens on Safari according to appleinsider.com

I know this is tldr post, hoping it will help other community members who might not know this is happening and will help members protect their domain values.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Now off to the fun task of changing all the name servers back!

•••
Sory for you - I have more than 3000 domain names parked on SEDO but never had those problems.
Just try to contact SEDO via email; you can find their emailadress at www.sedo.com/contact

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back