Bad News for Most Domain Investors

Watch

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
Afternic has quietly implemented a change that will hurt sales for most of the investors.

Afternic was fantastic in 2018-2019 for me, as well as for most others, but for last 40 days it has been very quiet. With portfolio of around 3800 names listed, that is surprising.

So I checked what might have changed. And came across a very bad news.

With few partner registrars, my listed prices were showing with plus 15% price from Afternic/GD actual price.

So, if you have a name listed at $2000, it will show at Epik, Name etc. at $2300, while you'll still be netting $1600. The effective commission for names not sold directly at GD/Afternic is now $1600/$2300 which translates to about 31.5%, close to what marketplaces like BB, SH charge, while also doing logo, promotion etc. for you. That is over 50% increase in commission without announcing anything. And more than doubling commission for high end $xx,xxx names.

So what, you might ask? We get the same money, right? Wrong. Most goods sold, unless it is oxygen or life saving medicine, or some super luxury goods, have a built in price elasticity. You increase price, you decrease demand. So that 15% increase in prices, can very well translate into 15% to 30% loss in sales.

I estimate that 2/3 of Afternic sales were via partners. So expect to lose 10% to 20% of your sales for the year.

Afternic, meanwhile, might not lose anything, unless we all, as sellers, do something about it.

I am not sure how the profit sharing is done with partners, but let's assume before GD was giving half of 20% to them and then also taking care of charges etc. with another 2%, so netting 8%.

If 2/3 are partner sales, it was getting weighted

2/3 * 8% + 1/3*20%= 5.4%+6.7% = 12.1%.

And now, if it still gives the partners 10%, but from 1+15%, then partners get around 11.5% of the actual price, while GD gets to keep 20% there.

2/3 *20% +1/3*20%=20%.

So, GD's return per sale increases just like that by 60%.

If the sales from partners are down by 20%, GD still wins (1-0.2)*(1+0.6)=1.28.

28% in net profits! Plus some of those sales might be also re-captured, if buyer did search more and found GD offering.

So, reduced sales, but GD profitability up. So who loses? Partners and sellers.

Very bad strategy for GD and near sighted approach. Hopefully, they reconsider and CEOs of partners put pressure on GD about this. There is literally no need for this except for greed.

@Rob Monster could you shed some light on this?

@Joe Styler could you comment on this change please?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are various buyers...
Some of them even don't know where to throw their money...
For example, $50K was paid for ANALYTICS.AI just for redirect...

Redirect doesn't mean throw away. Might mean future project, defensive buy etc.

I have bought $xxxx names that are on redirect, but are earmarked for future project.

•••
Redirect doesn't mean throw away. Might mean future project, defensive buy etc.

I have bought $xxxx names that are on redirect, but are earmarked for future project.

but Were they .Ai?

•••
I'm almost sure that additional gap by registrars has no any impact on BIN domains below $2K...
Real reason in this downtrend is absolutely another.

•••
but Were they .Ai?

They weren't. I wouldn't start any commercial project on anything other than .com with rare possible exception, like review/org which I had bought for $14K+ for own use, but sold for $45K when there was a persistent customer. But many startups believe that extension doesn't matter and they will go for .ai, io, co etc. For instance, I bought Jaiy/com that I could use for an ai project.

•••
It really doesn't matter... nowadays most visitors are coming to those startups via Facebook/Twitter etc.

•••
It really doesn't matter... nowadays most users are coming to those startups via Facebook/Twitter etc.

You are in the wrong business then ) One of those startups went with .co

The business is worth hundreds of million. It took showing them that in 24 hours they lost 3 sensitive emails to .com, including from a potential large client. It was a matter of security for them, as well as reputational and other risks. They bought the .com the next day.

I was also getting almost daily emails for company that went with LLLL-inc.com They were in AI with some interesting product. They were missing on emails inviting them to large companies in Japan (they were a Japanese company) to present their product and expressing a genuine interest. There were so many emails that I suspect they themselves wrote in error on marketing material or somewhere on website the LLLL.com. Anytime I choose to create a catch all for my .com, I am just amazed at what companies are missing on daily basis.

Another company is on LLLL.aero for the same name. It is a quite large company in aero services. Even their own employees copy me in their emails. Of course, by accident, trying to copy a colleague. So I have learned a lot about the aero business lately. Again, with no evil intention. I am using the LLLL for my company and have set catch all for it. I try to filter away as much as possible, and even forward the most important of those emails, or ask to correct the issue.

Last edited:
•••
The business is worth hundreds of million.
Most startups begin with 4F or maximum 5F budget...
Only very minority has 6F per domain.

•••
Regarding emails...
Serious companies usualy don't list any emails... they use Contact Forms...

•••
Most startups begin with 4F or maximum 5F budget...
Only very minority has 6F per domain.

They did not to pay $15k for their exact match .com )))

•••
I had many cases with EMD endusers who even didn't reply to me...
Some of them can be so stupid/greedy that price doesn't matter at all, they will not buy even for $1K.

•••
I had few sales, but from direct and BB. Which is surprising. By normal rate, with 3800 names listed there, I should have had 4-5 sales from Afternic/GD during the time span.

look's like you have 1% sales rate ;) too

-just kidding
I know it's 10%...

•••
i forgot i do not post content for free.
deleted.

Last edited:
•••
This is not something new. It has been going on for quite awhile with Epik, Name.com, and other registrars.

https://www.thedomains.com/2019/09/...-markup-your-domains-without-your-permission/

GoDaddy at least needs to offer a way to opt-out of these specific registrars.

Brad
Brad I like you so don't take this the wrong way because I mean it with all respect. You bring this up every time this comes up and I am pretty sure we have said over and over again you can opt out. I'm not sure what is happening or if there is some miscommunication, you CAN opt out. You just have to email [email protected] or tell your account rep at GoDaddy. There was never a time you could not opt out.

•••
Brad I like you so don't take this the wrong way because I mean it with all respect. You bring this up every time this comes up and I am pretty sure we have said over and over again you can opt out. I'm not sure what is happening or if there is some miscommunication, you CAN opt out. You just have to email [email protected] or tell your account rep at GoDaddy. There was never a time you could not opt out.

Thank you for clarifying, Joe. And I wish I could go and edit the original post to make clear that it is not apparently GD issue, as it is a choice by some registrars.

I wish there were info which registrars those are and what percentage of sales they represent. I'd consider the opt-out as any benefit from additional sales is killed by the confusion they create showing different prices and confusing a buyer that does shopping around or just assumes that the price is too high. Extra 15% can easily be difference between "too expensive even for a start" and "hmmm... maybe I can make offer and bring it to my budget level".

Also, are there any other changes that might contribute to slow down? Are you guys noticing any slow down on overall level?

•••

When I talked to my account executive @ GoDaddy about this the information I was given was different. Maybe there is a communication issue.

How do I find a complete list of the registrar partners that are marking up the prices?

Brad

Last edited:
•••
When I talked to my account executive @ GoDaddy about this the information I was given was different. Maybe there is a communication issue.

How do I find a complete list of the registrar partners that are marking up the prices?

Brad
You can email [email protected] to get both, the registrars and being removed.

•••
Thank you for clarifying, Joe. And I wish I could go and edit the original post to make clear that it is not apparently GD issue, as it is a choice by some registrars.

I wish there were info which registrars those are and what percentage of sales they represent. I'd consider the opt-out as any benefit from additional sales is killed by the confusion they create showing different prices and confusing a buyer that does shopping around or just assumes that the price is too high. Extra 15% can easily be difference between "too expensive even for a start" and "hmmm... maybe I can make offer and bring it to my budget level".

Also, are there any other changes that might contribute to slow down? Are you guys noticing any slow down on overall level?
There isn't a way to measure that. There also is not a way to measure the converse. How many people see it for sale at one of the marked up registrars and then go to a different venue to complete the purchase or contact afternic via a sales lander as a result.

•••
I've covered this more in depth on the other thread that someone linked to on this post. The quick recap is:
1. We don't keep the additional money from the markup.
2. If we don't pay that your names won't show up there.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back