Dynadot

Is GoDaddy adding 5% on top of its Afternic 15% commission?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
I was up for very unpleasant surprise today.

The names that I, for example, have priced for $2499 are showing as $2724.11 at Godaddy. Apparently, this change might be experimental for now as it is not showing the same for all, but it will have very adverse effect on all domain investment community. And it is grossly unfair too.

GD announced with lots of fanfare that it is reducing the Afternic commission from 20% to 15% to justify raising Dan commission from 9% to 15%. Apparently, there have been plans to recoup that and more, as 5% on the gross is more than 5% on the original price.

So what will be the impact on all of us? If GD does go ahead with it (and for the period and scope of the experiment) we will lose at least 5% of our sales if the price elasticity is straight line. But, we all know that it is not and there are psychological thresholds. E.g. 2499 to 2724, from my experience, will result in 10-20% loss for two reasons: a) again, it crosses 2500$ limit; b) the "magic" endings like 00, 99, 88, 50 are ruined for someing like 24.11 ending. GD itself in its blog had published an experiment involving namefind names that showed 8% increase in sales from going to 2499 from 2500, so this changes are meaningful.

See also the attached slide by Darpan (SH founder) showing how important those thresholds can be. Crossing $5k barrier, e.g., can result in 35% loss in sales numbers.

Now couple this with the upcoming 7%-10% increase in .com pricing, and loss of 10%-20% in sales so that GD can make extra 5% can be devastating to all of us.

If GD does go ahead with this, we should all look for an alternative to both Afternic and Godaddy, as they will eventually squeeze us all out of the business. If Godaddy does implement this, I will look into moving my 34000 .com domains out of Godaddy and will stop using Afternic landers.

This is just getting ridiculous. Godaddy, decide already, if we are your partners in the business or the competition.

thresholdloss.jpg

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can you share a domain that I can visit and see what's going on from my POV?

•••
Can you share a domain that I can visit and see what's going on from my POV?
I'll shoot you a private message... but it's not domain specific. When I type in "godaddy.com" I am routed to "https://www.godaddy.com/en-sg" which is GoDaddy Singapore. I only noticed it because of this issue, but a potential buyer wouldn't realize (or care), they would just see a higher priced domain name and an international phone number.

•••
@GoDaddy Any update on the mysterious 'Singapore' redirect issue? Thanks.

•••
My godaddy auctions page today:

auctions-singapore.png

My Afternic landers today:

factor-rates.png

The name is listed at $2488 and this is how many USA visitors sees this and other names when they go there.

The same name if searched at Godaddy.com (registrar path):

factorrates.png

The inability of this company to fix simple bugs is astounding :(

Last edited:
•••
It just gets more and more ridiculous by day.

Yesterday, e.g., it switched me to Singapore after just couple of hours of switching to USA.

Today, the switch occured DURING my work with the GD auctions. I was buying names from my watchlist and after some purchases clicked on page 2 there and ... all prices went to SG currency (((((

•••
It just gets more and more ridiculous by day.

Yesterday, e.g., it switched me to Singapore after just couple of hours of switching to USA.

Today, the switch occured DURING my work with the GD auctions. I was buying names from my watchlist and after some purchases clicked on page 2 there and ... all prices went to SG currency (((((
You're only fix is to move to Singapore. They say the women there are the most loyal in the World. :unsure:

•••
You're only fix is to move to Singapore. They say the women there are the most loyal in the World. :unsure:

The only fix is to move all my buyers to Singapore... If it was the nuisance part for me, I wouldn't bother posting here. Just would keep switching and hope they will fix it within a decade, probably by accident, while being pushed out by another more severe bug. The problem is that most of us are losing sales because of a) confusion if a customer sees another currency b) and if it still shows USD, then it is 9% higher resulting in 20-40% less conversion. I am bound to lose 6 figures in sales in 2024 if they don't fix it. So I will keep bugging them daily and will keep emailing Paul with the latest status. GD is bound to lose 7 figures, but, I guess their KPIs for bonuses and promotions are not based on such peanuts.

•••
I was Singapore-free for about 2 weeks and was happy about it. Today, though, I am seeing the GD auctions in SG currency and the locale is SG. It happened after it took over a minute to load the auction page for me, which proves my hypothesis that the issue is related to the DB timeout, when the site cannot get the location info from it within limited time, GD software automatically allocates it to the "default" country. And, for some reason, some genius has set that to Singapore.

@GoDaddy

•••
Thanks for your report @Recons.Com. Our team is currently investigating what you're experiencing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back