Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
hello

I am new to BrandBucket. Before getting my hands on this

I wish to experience about brandbucket from my fellow members

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I spent a few hours voting yesterday not knowing the system was about to come offline.. I probably would have voted more, had I known. Why wasn't this something communicated in like an official email? As far as I can tell, as of last night you could still earn credits by voting.

There was an official email sent on July 3

News for BrandBucket Sellers
Hi Raymond,

It is has been a busy last few months here at BrandBucket! We’ve been hard at work making life a little easier for our community of domain sellers and wanted to share some of the updates.

Faster Submissions
We are happy to report that submissions are now being looked at 5x more quickly. Our attention has now shifted to speeding up our logo queue, and preliminary efforts are showing promising results.

Rising Sales
We are seeing strong sales and inquiries across the board, including our six-figure names. If you have any six-figure names you would like to sell on BrandBucket, please email me at [email protected] to discuss.

Marketing Initiatives
We have increased our marketing resources and are currently involved with several online and offline marketing programs that are showing great potential. We want to remind you to share your BrandBucket profile page to your friends and colleagues on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. This not only benefits the entire BrandBucket community, but also directly exposes your names to potential sales.

Voting App
Effective July 3rd, we will be discontinuing our voting-for-credits option in the dashboard. The information we gathered over the past year has been quite valuable, and wewill be using this data to help our customers find the perfect name for their company. Credits you currently have in your account will not be affected by this change. We are leaving the door open to future engagement models that involve earning credits, but there are none currently in the pipeline.

Lastly, please be on the lookout for a regular seller’s newsletter where we will go over a few past sales, popular keyword terms, and the most popular categories searched. We want to open up more communication channels with our sellers, and hopefully help you with your domain investing decisions.

For our American sellers have a great 4th of July weekend!

Happy Investing,

Michael Krell
Managing Director @BrandBucket

•••
To understand 'brandables' more,

a) If it is just (purely) invented one, the end user is going to try his best to 'invent' one himself - and I am sure there are plenty still available. But the con of these is I would not expect a user to reach me for the invented brandables of his own (through type-in or whois) . Another con of these is that it 'costs' lot of money for a business to brand them. If you look at the brandables we come across daily - most of the pharmaceutical products, how many of these we actually remember? But the pros of these is that they are generic and they can apply to many niches/domains/industries - so they have much more applicability, hence more marketability from sellers' perspective.

b) For Keyword brandables, challenge is there but less. The user can search by keywords but the challenge again is - would end user think of the word(s) you have besides keyword. They have limited (industry) scope but more appealing to customers and can qualify as 'niche' domains. Because they immediately signify what you do/provide. It costs much less to market them - they are definitely catchy and easy to remember compared than purely invented ones or even generic words names.

Either way, it is very hard or rather impossible for the end user to reach the seller for the brandables through whois or type-in - human mind just does not work that way. Searching for them on a listing site is equally hard, because even if you categorize them, it is not that effective, as 80% of the name probably fit into about 80% of the categories. For these reasons, turnover of brandables is much less compared to non-brandables (generic words if I may say). Brandables have many many alternatives compared to generic words names. It is really a hit or miss with brandables. For generic word names, there are limited synonyms/related words, and by swapping the words - you just lose the intrinsic meaning you were looking for in first place.

There are some more considerations

1) Number of users have hundreds of brandables, even if they sell 2-3 names in a year, they recover cost of 500+ names. So it works for them. But the challenge comes for newcomers who have names in 50's or less, without a sale, they will not be able to break even. I would assume smart domainers would keep a mixture of names, brandables/non-brandables/generic names so that they have cash flow going. "Just like a smart stock investor would do".

2) There are tons and tons of brandables around, besides searching, and bigger issue is that another brandable looks better or at least comparable to what you have just seen - how many pages of brandables one can flip through. Keywords - you think of 3, 4 or possibly 10 max and that is it. So it is very tough for a buyer to chose one brandable over other. Is it matter of liking or pricing. I would assume former to be the case, if the prices are comparable, which is true for 80% of the brandables.

3) People should really give it a serious thought - does a business(end user) really need a brandable? It really does not have to be TM, it can be SM or can be marked as some way. Even a fair use of a name can quality a name to be TM/SM'd or preventing others from doing the same. Keep in mind - for service related names, what matters is the underlying technology/process and not the name itself, while for products, purely invented names do well. So it largely depends on whether you are selling a name for a service or a product.

I have given some considerations, not to draw to any conclusions, and hope it is helpful to readers and allows them to think harder about their strategy.

•••
To understand 'brandables' more,

a) If it is just (purely) invented one, the end user is going to try his best to 'invent' one himself - and I am sure there are plenty still available. But the con of these is I would not expect a user to reach me for the invented brandables of his own (through type-in or whois) . Another con of these is that it 'costs' lot of money for a business to brand them. If you look at the brandables we come across daily - most of the pharmaceutical products, how many of these we actually remember? But the pros of these is that they are generic and they can apply to many niches/domains/industries - so they have much more applicability, hence more marketability from sellers' perspective.

b) For Keyword brandables, challenge is there but less. The user can search by keywords but the challenge again is - would end user think of the word(s) you have besides keyword. They have limited (industry) scope but more appealing to customers and can qualify as 'niche' domains. Because they immediately signify what you do/provide. It costs much less to market them - they are definitely catchy and easy to remember compared than purely invented ones or even generic words names.

Either way, it is very hard or rather impossible for the end user to reach the seller for the brandables through whois or type-in - human mind just does not work that way. Searching for them on a listing site is equally hard, because even if you categorize them, it is not that effective, as 80% of the name probably fit into about 80% of the categories. For these reasons, turnover of brandables is much less compared to non-brandables (generic words if I may say). Brandables have many many alternatives compared to generic words names. It is really a hit or miss with brandables. For generic word names, there are limited synonyms/related words, and by swapping the words - you just lose the intrinsic meaning you were looking for in first place.

There are some more considerations

1) Number of users have hundreds of brandables, even if they sell 2-3 names in a year, they recover cost of 500+ names. So it works for them. But the challenge comes for newcomers who have names in 50's or less, without a sale, they will not be able to break even. I would assume smart domainers would keep a mixture of names, brandables/non-brandables/generic names so that they have cash flow going. "Just like a smart stock investor would do".

2) There are tons and tons of brandables around, besides searching, and bigger issue is that another brandable looks better or at least comparable to what you have just seen - how many pages of brandables one can flip through. Keywords - you think of 3, 4 or possibly 10 max and that is it. So it is very tough for a buyer to chose one brandable over other. Is it matter of liking or pricing. I would assume former to be the case, if the prices are comparable, which is true for 80% of the brandables.

3) People should really give it a serious thought - does a business(end user) really need a brandable? It really does not have to be TM, it can be SM or can be marked as some way. Even a fair use of a name can quality a name to be TM/SM'd or preventing others from doing the same. Keep in mind - for service related names, what matters is the underlying technology/process and not the name itself, while for products, purely invented names do well. So it largely depends on whether you are selling a name for a service or a product.

I have given some considerations, not to draw to any conclusions, and hope it is helpful to readers and allows them to think harder about their strategy.
"Underlying technology" etc That's exactly correct. Think Amazon-Yipit-Alibaba. Thanks for that thoughtful post.

•••
@NameFit -

Interesting reflection on the "brandables" game.

This, in my opinion, is why sites like BrandBucket are successful. To understand the mindset of a buyer, you either have to A) be a buyer, or B) work with them daily, be a great listener, and understand their needs/behavior by providing them service day-in / day-out. Consultative selling is a great skill. The best sales reps are those that are great listeners.

As they say in corporate sales, individuals buy emotionally and justify intellectually. The more you can listen to the customer's needs, their confusion, understand their likes/dislikes/taste, understand their business goals, understand them... the more value you bring to them during their purchasing decision... and can assist them in justifying (intellectually) their purchasing decision once they have an emotional attachment to it or feel a "need" to move forward with making a decision.

I believe BrandBucket (and other providers) will succeed as there is a need for good listeners in this industry and value-add service providers.

I enjoyed your reflective post.

Thanks,

-Jim

Last edited:
•••
My 9 names are pending logo design for almost 15 days.

•••
Logos are a minimum of $100 and the logo designer gets paid when (if) the domain sells, otherwise they don't get paid at all.

$10 is a listing fee. That does not go to the logo designers.

Not exactly. They can choose a $5 payment as soon as the logo is accepted, it's the designers choice.

•••
@NameFit -

As they say in corporate sales, individuals buy emotionally and justify intellectually. The more you can listen to the customer's needs, their confusion, understand their likes/dislikes/taste, understand their business goals, understand them... the more value you bring to them during their purchasing decision... and can assist them in justifying (intellectually) their purchasing decision once they have an emotional attachment to it or feel a "need" to move forward with making a decision.

This is exactly right and why all the analysis in the world won't overcome a good salesman. The other point is that I was taught to always make that emotional connection by creating a picture of the buyer using the product. Once I get them to see themselves with this domain they start subconsciously saying little things like "I" and "Mine". Those are signals that the hook is in and set and the deal is ready to close, and again that's about listening and know when to snap the rod.

•••
Worst logo ever today for MountainViper.com. Sorry if anyone on here did it, but I am really dissapointed when it is such a descriptive name. I'm considering pulling the listing, but I'll sleep on that decision.
:-/
-_-
:(

•••
Worst logo ever today for MountainViper.com. Sorry if anyone on here did it, but I am really dissapointed when it is such a descriptive name. I'm considering pulling the listing, but I'll sleep on that decision.
-_-
I have seen worse. It is not that bad

•••
Its about a lost opportunity.

•••
-_-
I've had good luck with my logos on BB so far so good but I see what you mean on that one- send them a note and ask if they'll redo it.

•••
Not exactly. They can choose a $5 payment as soon as the logo is accepted, it's the designers choice.
Thank you for the post. Everyone should understand where that $10 goes that BrandBucket charges. Again,it's fine that they charge it-anyone can opt not to use them and go elsewhere.

•••
Logos are a minimum of $100 and the logo designer gets paid when (if) the domain sells, otherwise they don't get paid at all.

$10 is a listing fee. That does not go to the logo designers.
Not correct.

•••
Not correct.
If the logo designer actually does receive the $10 for the logo design then why isn't that listed on the "Become a Logo Designer" page? It only says they receive money when the logo sells and nothing else.

That $10 fee goes right into BrandBucket's pocket. This week so far they would have taken in an extra $6,730. So is their business model selling domains or taking listing fees?

$30,000 a month doing nothing but taking listing fees is a pretty profitable business to run. :)

•••
If the logo designer actually does receive the $10 for the logo design then why isn't that listed on the "Become a Logo Designer" page? It only says they receive money when the logo sells and nothing else.

That $10 fee goes right into BrandBucket's pocket. This week so far they would have taken in an extra $6,730. So is their business model selling domains or taking listing fees?

$30,000 a month doing nothing but taking listing fees is a pretty profitable business to run. :)
Great post and hopefully their guy Michael here will answer that question. Remember Michael has already stated that they don't even cover the fixed costs. BB is a private company and no one has the right to their financials but anyone giving them 100 names has the right to know where their $1000 is going.

•••
Michael, I was wondering if BB is up to perhaps list keywords of domains that have been selling alot..
not necessarily the full domain name (that would've been perfect though). Just certain keywords that are proving to be hot sellers. It would benefit both BB and the seller.

Last edited:
•••
Great post and hopefully their guy Michael here will answer that question. Remember Michael has already stated that they don't even cover the fixed costs. BB is a private company and no one has the right to their financials but anyone giving them 100 names has the right to know where their $1000 is going.

not really.. it would be ideal, but they are saying if you want your name to appear on our site, it's 10$.. that's where the money is going..

I do agree it would be nice to have a certain insight as to how many visits, which domain conferences perhaps they would have a presence and so-on

•••
Lastly, please be on the lookout for a regular seller’s newsletter where we will go over a few past sales, popular keyword terms, and the most popular categories searched. We want to open up more communication channels with our sellers, and hopefully help you with your domain investing decisions.

Thanks Michael... Looking forward to the Newsletter!

•••
Excuse me if its not a proper post for this thread, but please pass my "Thanks" to the designer who made the logo of my "Bromina". I really like it. Thanks!!!

•••
So much horrible dn on BB. Charging $10/each is a smart move.

•••
Michael, I was wondering if BB is up to perhaps list keywords of domains that have been selling alot..
not necessarily the full domain name (that would've been perfect though). Just certain keywords that are proving to be hot sellers. It would benefit both BB and the seller.

Yes, we will be doing a regular seller's newsletter where will discuss some things like top keyword searches, category queries, and some specific examples of a past sale or two...

•••
I just had one domain processed amazingly quick.

Submitted on June 30th.
Approved on July 5th.
MY PART: Pay + Description/Price + Validation on July 5th.

And today, only one day later it was processed from "Pending BrandBucket Review" to "Pending Logo Design".

I have domains that have been in "Pending BrandBucket Review" for several days and are still there. But this one just past right through that step in less than a day.

I wonder why. Do they think it could sell fast? I have no idea.

But I only put 100$ to designer. So now it will be stucked there for months unless it gets prioritized again in some way.

By the way the domain is StartPronto.com

•••
I just had one domain processed amazingly quick.

Submitted on June 30th.
Approved on July 5th.
MY PART: Pay + Description/Price + Validation on July 5th.

And today, only one day later it was processed from "Pending BrandBucket Review" to "Pending Logo Design".

I have domains that have been in "Pending BrandBucket Review" for several days and are still there. But this one just past right through that step in less than a day.

I wonder why. Do they think it could sell fast? I have no idea.

But I only put 100$ to designer. So now it will be stucked there for months unless it gets prioritized again in some way.

By the way the domain is StartPronto.com

Nice name.

•••
-_-
Take a look at this logo for CloseoutCars.com I think they did a great job-zero cost. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
•••
Take a look at the front page domains... anyone find it weird that 7 (SEVEN!) of the domains have the keyword "hatch". I wonder who regged these names, and why their entire portfolio is on the front page.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back