NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
hello

I am new to BrandBucket. Before getting my hands on this

I wish to experience about brandbucket from my fellow members

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Two days back I paid the listing fee for listing Prrofit.com on BB for $2395. It's not yet live.

Today I realized a similar mis-spelling domain Smiile.com sold for $18,000 on Sedo.

Should I cancel the listing on BrandBucket.com before it goes live, hoping for a higher price? Should I contact them to increase the valuation for the domain?

Every word in the English (and any other) dictionary can be misspelled by adding one additional letter.

Just because one misspelled word was able to fetch 18k - does not mean all misspelled words can get that amount. In fact most misspells will probably not sell. Only the few the manage to catch an end user's eyes will.

Several factors come into play, including the visual appeal and pronunciation of the misspell... So know that all misspells are not created equal.

Is Prrofit better than Profitt? Which one would a client choose if they were listed side by side for the same price? How about Proffit?

I think the 18k for Smiile was a GREAT sale, but don't expect to see that repeated too often.

Everyone is going to feel that their misspelled word is the most appealing, but in reality it is a trend that will probably only go so far.

If you truly believe you have a golden nugget there then I would suggest you ask BB to remove it from your profile (which since you did click publish I believe you will need to give 30 days) because I do not think BB would ever consider giving your domain 10x the price than they already have. If they did then they would have hundreds of other misspells in line asking for the same thing. And then their odds of selling any of them would be much lower.

These are novelty names and unless you find the right person with 20k in their pocket to burn - I think we should feel lucky if we are able to get low $X,XXX for these. (There are of course exceptions to every rule)

In full disclosure - I grabbed a couple of misspells recently myself. I would be more than satisfied if any of them get the 2k pricemark that BB puts on them.

Last edited:
•••
definetely

Prrofit.com is much more worth then Smiile.com

a smile doesn't make money
but profit does

how could you accept such a low evaluation? ;)

seriously?
no just kidding
That's hardly all of it. smiile with the "I' doubled, which is the prominent vowel sound in the word smile, is far more memorable and "easier on the eye" than prrofit with the r doubled in an awkward and confusing way. When I look at "prrofit" I see "parrot". When I look at "smiile" I see "smile"

I agree with the valuation.

Last edited:
•••
I acquired brroker which was rejected by bb ..ur lucky they accepted it :)

•••
Several months ago I submitted "ttricky" which was rejected. I questioned it with MJK, and he replied (I trust he won't mind my posting this), "The double letters work well in the middle and at the end of words, but not so much at the beginning. So if it was trickyy.com it would be accepted. For a name to be accepted with a double letter in the beginning, it would need to a pretty premium word to begin with. For example, I will be listing ssouth.com on BB. It needs to be a root word similar strength to get it listed.'

BTW I regged trickyy and it was accepted.

Look where we've come in six months!

•••
That's hardly all of it. smiile with the "I' doubled, which is the prominent vowel sound in the word smile, is far more memorable and "easier on the eye" than prrofit with the r doubled in an awkward and confusing way. When I look at "prrofit" I see "parrot". When I look at "smiile" I see "smile"

The high price and sale-ability may even go a little deeper than just a rolling vowel with Smiile. (just pulled the words "rolling vowel" out of my head - don't know if that's the correct terminology)

It would be a great name for a dentist, dental product, or even picture sharing site.

When I see that name I get an image in my head of a group of people yelling Smiiiiiile as they take a picture. (everyone I know in the US has grown up saying and hearing that when taking a picture.)

•••
Today I realized a similar mis-spelling domain Smiile.com sold for $18,000 on Sedo.

What are the odds of another sale like that? I wouldn't bother contacting them for a price increase because I tried this and BB won't consider this type of argument where you show a similar domain sold at a much higher price.

•••
•••
$18000 for smiile:xf.eek::xf.eek::xf.eek::xf.eek::xf.eek::xf.eek::xf.eek::xf.eek:
I would imagine the seller pooped in their pants a little when they saw that sold email. :)

Someone wins the lottery every day, I guess.

•••
•••
Thanks v.much for all your replies guys. I guess I will keep the domain at that valuation. Thanks again.

•••
Smile is a very powerful keyword. The added 'i' makes it playful and in some ways adds value to the name. Even so, $18K is a very nice price for that name. Congrats to the seller!

And @Michael M, I really like the term 'rolling vowel'. I may start using it.

Last edited:
•••
I sometimes wonder if the buyer and seller are related...or even the same person in order to inflate a valuation for a future re-sale.

•••
Smile is a very powerful keyword. The added 'i' makes it playful and in some ways adds value to the name. Even so, $18K is a very nice price for that name. Congrats to the seller!

A misspelling of the word "Smile" in no way ADDS value....

•••

Please explain to us how adding an "i" to the name Smile adds value.

•••

did you see my remark
I am just kidding

18k for smiile.com is ridiculous
2k for prrofit is ridiculous

I do not know which amateur is going to buy it

•••
did you see my remark
I am just kidding

18k for smiile.com is ridiculous
2k for prrofit is ridiculous

I do not know which amateur is going to buy it
It is the buyer who decides the value of a name...not armchair experts.
$18K for smiile is its valuation.

•••
(just pulled the words "rolling vowel" out of my head - don't know if that's the correct terminology)

+1 for the newly coined tern 'rolling vowel'

Please explain to us how adding an "i" to the name Smile adds value.

I don't think it adds value as Smile.com is worth way more than $18k, though, Smiile is a short / cheaper alternative. Smiile with both eyes :]

Under the pretense of adding a letter to a keyword to make it brandable, buyers can generally find an alternative double letter domain available to register. This is not the case with the keyword smile, as all double letter typos are registsed.

Below are some rolling vowel start-ups funded by Y Combinator. See article and domain list HERE

Priime.com
Deluux.com - Out of business
PiinPoint.com

Honorable mentions - Bountii.com first time I've seen a y replaced with two 'i's

(PS) Typing rolling vowel dictionary words into a mobile phone with autocorrect is a pain. I don't want to add the rolling vowel to my phone's dictionary or else that dictionary word will always be the rolling vowel form.

Last edited:
•••
It is the buyer who decides the value of a name...not armchair experts.
$18K for smiile is its valuation.

sorry that is BS
some people overpay

that doesn't make it generally valuable

•••
Smiile
Smiile Linkedin

As with many brandable sales, it doesn't necessarily mean a name has sold to a new company or end user. There may be a potential existing end user or twelve out there already ;)

Last edited:
•••
•••
If brandbucket was really worthwhile for sellers, they wouldn't charge a $10 publishing fee.

I mean, if the domain meets their 'high standards' they should just be glad to list it and collect the whopping 30% commission right?

Brandbucket works for brandbucket and no one else.

•••
I mean, if the domain meets their 'high standards' they should just be glad to list it and collect the whopping 30% commission right?

Maybe. But as long as people remain willing to pay the fee, I don't see how they would phase it out. Like you said, BrandBucket works for BrandBucket. It's not a charity so people shouldn't expect it to leave money on the table.

•••
@Candace Cooke
It doesn't mean dating in the traditional sense of the word. It translates like these examples below. I wouldn't list at a premium price because it will never sell.

The document dated back to 1945.
That law was in place dating back to 1950.

@Candace Cooke

A bit late for this, but thought I might be able to add something more.

Databa is not a strong keyword in Spanish in any way. Trust me, I'm from Spain ;)

Databa is one of the past tenses for the verb 'Datar', which doesn't mean 'dating' (even though they're that similar) but to add or assign a date to something. And again, it's not even the infinitive, it's just one of the past tenses. And in Spanish there are literally dozens of tenses for each verb: several past tenses, several future tenses, and each of those have six different words for I/You/He-She/We/You/They. Just an image to show how crazy it might look, this is the verb 'to sing'.

Verbo_cantar.png

If you take a look at the third row, under 'Pret. Imperfecto', you'll find 'Cantaba', which would be the same verb tense as your 'Databa'... and that's all.

So all of this was just to explain why I don't think it's specially valuable from a Spanish perspective. I'd say it's great as a short for 'Database' and because of the CVCVCV pattern. But I'm sorry to say I can't see any plus on the Spanish meaning.

Good luck with it, I think it's a nice name anyway and I can see it being sold soon. And sorry for the long, boring post! ;)

Last edited:
•••
Cantaba dropped in August of last year. I have almost regged it several times since then. Glad I didn't.

•••
Cantaba dropped in August of last year. I have almost regged it several times since then. Glad I didn't.

Speaking about coincidences... :-o

Hope it doesn't sell for 5 figures in the next couple of months. Please, don't blame my post if it does ;)

It's a bit crazy with Spanish verbs, quite tricky. And I'd say it's similar with all Latin-rooted languages: Italian (I do speak a bit of Italian), French, Portuguese (quite similar to Spanish), Romanian... Lots and lots of verb tenses with small variations.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back