IT.COM

Buy singular OR plural EMD?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Singular or plural EMD? ( Please read the post before voting.)

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
A client wants to setup an affiliate website for selling a niche hardware Item.

Item type is one but different models from different brands will be listed.

The client will be buying an EMD for this.

Common usage of singular term is lot of times higher than the plural

Client is aware that there is no SEO advantage to using an EMD but still wants to go with EMD as visitors will remember it easily for next visit.

The cost for each of the singular or the plural domain is in high $xxx and there is budget only for buying one domain. Can't afford to try and switch :)

I am suggesting plural domain as the website is selling many items of same type.

but the client strongly wants singular, as the common usage for singular is lot-lot higher and thinks visitors will be more inclined to typing singular domain.

As this is an affiliate website for selling one niche item, what are the advantages - disadvantages for using the singular EMD or the plural EMD?

There will be no spending on Ads to bring visitors. It is expected visitors will come only through searching in the browser.

I am wondering if visitors will skip clicking on the search result because it is singular? Singular denotes one item, while someone looking to buy would be more inclined to click on the plural as more choices will be available.

Is it better to buy the singular domain or plural domain. What do you suggest and why?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If they are only trying to get visitors through search/direct, they should go with the term with the highest searches - apparently the singular in this case. I'd encourage them to get both, but if they really can't swing that, and they want the singular, let them get the singular and concentrate on the rest of the project.

If they do well on the singular, they will be leaking traffic to the plural, and also making it more expensive later should they change their mind and want it.

•••
I will personally go with plural for main website & would redirect singular version to main plural site.. ;) there are lots of chances of loosing type in traffic in choosing any one..!! :rolleyes:

•••
I will personally go with plural for main website & would redirect singular version to main plural site.. ;) there are lots of chances of loosing type in traffic in choosing any one..!! :rolleyes:
OP stated client can only afford one or the other.

It's really hard to say without knowing the product/domain, but if results for singular are "lot-lot" higher I would go with that.

Build an outstanding site and there shouldnt be too much leakage to the plural, esp if it is just parked.

Good Luck!

Peace,
Cy

•••
"Common usage of singular term is lot of times higher than the plural"

How do you know, im asking for a reason

•••
Check out the Google keyword tool search volume just to see of one is searched a lot more than the other.

•••
"Common usage of singular term is lot of times higher than the plural"

How do you know, im asking for a reason

Through browser search engine results, for both, with/without quotes singular usage is lot higher than plural
- kw1 kw2 > kw1 kw2s
- "kw1 kw2" > "kw1 kw2s"

If you don't mind, what is the reason? ;)

•••
OP stated client can only afford one or the other.

It's really hard to say without knowing the product/domain, but if results for singular are "lot-lot" higher I would go with that.

Build an outstanding site and there shouldnt be too much leakage to the plural, esp if it is just parked.

Good Luck!

Peace,
Cy

I am wondering if visitors will skip clicking on the search result because it is singular? Singular denotes one item, while someone looking to buy would be more inclined to click on the plural as more choices will be available. I have update the question.

•••
No, visitors will not skip your website because it's singular.

•••
Through browser search engine results, for both, with/without quotes singular usage is lot higher than plural
- kw1 kw2 > kw1 kw2s
- "kw1 kw2" > "kw1 kw2s"

If you don't mind, what is the reason? ;)

many people use google to search results amount for a given keyword, for example "keyword1 keyword2" when you do that in almost all cases the singular will have more results. But thats flawed thinking and causing many to buy the wrong name. Sure sometimes the singular is better, it depends on many factors, but im just saying that the google search results method isnt the way to determine

•••
Generally the single noun is better than the plural noun. Example apple.com vs apples.com, domain.com vs domains.com. So I would recommend buying the single. But to be honest, either will do if they are developing a website. And either will be remembered by the visitors if they enjoy their visit. But I would ask you client to seriously consider if his budget would stretch to both. Else just buy the cheapest. As others have said, I caveat everything I've said, without knowing the domain and the business being run on it.

•••
Without knowing the name, there's no way to say.
Be very wary of basing it on search results. There may be a number of reasons why the singular gets more searches, and they are not all beneficial for you. For example, foreign language speakers may just type the singular because it's easier and more familiar. Make sure you know what country the searches are coming from.

Another thing is that the people searching the singular term might be looking for information rather than to buy. It's not just the number of searches that count, but why they are searching.

On the other hand, a singular is maybe better for branding - as that sounds like the way your client wants to use it. But that, too, depends on the word. And, of course, singular is one character shorter.

At least you can try to find what keywords competitors in the field are paying most to advertise for - the singular or plural. That would be a big clue.

Good luck.

Last edited:
•••
Car.com or Cars.com
studentloan.com or studentloans.com
home.com or homes.com

•••
I'd try to convince your client to take both. Or maybe to find another investor. If the business is successful the risk of losing traffic and leads is too high.

•••
Although it depends to a certain extent on the word, the best answer is probably to buy whichever you can get cheapest and spend the money saved on locking up suitable gTLD alternatives for the other to reduce its value so that you can acquire it later. (Imagine evil laugh here).

•••
You guys are hip this thread is almost a year old, right?
I wonder if the OP has made a decision yet?

Peace,
Cy

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back