Domain Empire

Can Blog Commenting Hurt Your SEO?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have found out this afternoon how commenting on related blogs of high page rank can hurt your SEO by bringing down your standings.

My page was number one for a particular keyword, the first result. But a week after leaving a comment on a related blog, that blog is now number one in the results and I am number four.

I believe this is due in part to that page having more content, older age, and more traffic. Yet, since I put up a site map for Google my page has been the first ranking, until leaving this comment.

Should I request the comment be deleted or learn my lesson? What is the lesson to be learned? Do I need to comment on lower page rank blogs?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
First at all commenting is a good way to increase backlink which will help to increase our blog crawling ratio. Commenting should not be spam or duplicate, it will give negative impact on your blog. Do proper commenting on related site it help to increase traffic & keyword position.

•••
i think blog commenting is best way of getting links if it is related your site niche it will give you very strong links,blog commenting is very effective if it is coming from high pr pages,may be your competitor site have more valuable content then your site.....

•••
No white hat SEO method is going to hurt your rankings. At the most, it won't help you increase them too much, but not the reverse. Blog commenting is not such an effective technique now due to Google updates, but that means you won't get too much credit for it, not that your rankings decrease because of it. And certainly a single blog comment can't cause a storm like the one you reported.

•••
No white hat SEO method is going to hurt your rankings. At the most, it won't help you increase them too much, but not the reverse. Blog commenting is not such an effective technique now due to Google updates, but that means you won't get too much credit for it, not that your rankings decrease because of it. And certainly a single blog comment can't cause a storm like the one you reported.

Actually it has. My blog has just recently become a PR1 and by some standards it is not even that. As a result of leaving a useful comment on a blog with the keywords I am targeting, that website is now the first result in Google and not mine as a result of those keywords. It was not there before until I left that comment. I deleted the comment and tried again. What happened? Mine returned to number one, but after the comment was left again fell back to this blog I left the comment on. It is a PR5 blog. This is why I believe this has happened.

To the other responses I am not dismissing the value of blog commenting. I am simply suggesting to be careful on the keywords you use and on the PR of the blog. Obviously I agree with blog commenting and respect its poor. I use it each day. But having a PR1 page and commenting on much higher PR blogs I am leaving a link and keywords on their blog which is more authoritative than mine.

•••
yes, blog commenting effects alot to a website for gaining high rate of traffic

•••
95% of survey respondents indicated that they do incorporate blogs as part of their search engine optimization efforts

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

How Will Google+ Affect SEO?

•••
useless comments can take away necessary pagerank value

•••
The search engines love dynamic sites that are frequently updated. With comments being added to the blog, the site is constantly being updated by others.. so it helps in seo n getting a high PR.

•••
Well If your comment is helpful and not just for increasing Backlinks then its great but if you are flooding other sites just to get more links then it is of no use.
Comments also provides you referral traffic so its good too. So keep it clean and search will surely like it

Thanks
Robin :)

•••
Should I request the comment be deleted or learn my lesson? What is the lesson to be learned? Do I need to comment on lower page rank blogs?
It may just be a coincidence that your site lost PR while a blog you linked to ranked higher than you. By coincidence, I mean that there are many factors at play when it comes to serps listings and PR. It could very well have been the google algorithm found some duplicate content on your site which would have devalued you in the last google panda update. Or maybe you submitted to many backlinks all at once and google penalized you for backlink spam.

It's just hard to really know what happened, but as others have mentioned, while blog commenting has been devalued, a single blog comment won't damage your site in the way you're saying yours has been. It would of had to of been bulk backlink submission spam, keyword stuffing, duplicate content, keyword cloaking, previous backlinks dropped / removed, linking to bad neighbor sites from your site, participating in link farms, etc.. Again, many factors at play that could damage your serps & or PR placement.

I would suggest that you stop thinking so much about the PR metric and focus more on the bottom line of why we are in business in the first place, which is $$ (ROI) Return on investment $$. I have PR0 sites that make more than my PR4 sites any given day of the week. PR has no baring at all on how much money a site can or will generate and therefore becomes a useless Vanity metric that only confuses people and detours them from actually focusing on getting their site(s) to convert visitors.

In the future to avoid a fluctuation like you are experiencing now, simply make sure you are providing unique content not used anywhere else and approach your site promotion efforts more ethically with less manipulation in mind. The end result may take a little longer to achieve page 1 / #1 spot, but once you hit it, you'll stay there much longer.

Also, don't forget that (SEM) Search Engine Marketing is an ongoing event. Everyone wants the top spot, so naturally you'll always have competition looking to take your spot away from you. Once you stop actively promoting your site(s) for a little while it's natural for others with similar niches to pass you up that still promote.

Just like in the olympics, boxing, wrestling, nascar, or other sports; you may have won 1st place (gold) this time, but chances are you won't win every time and a new champ will be crowned eventually.

Not sure if that helps any, but just my thoughts on this topic.

Eric Lyon

•••
thanks Eric....the content was full of information.

•••
I personally don't think that blog comments should harm your SEO, as long as its' all above board, not black-hat

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back