IT.COM

Can I use Javascript or Special Bat file to launch apps?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

My CD presentation made in Swish (Its like Flash) & WinXP is giving me a little problem, Adams_UK helped me out (thanks:) ) but I still cant get it to work. I have 3 different file formats for the viewer to choose & download. If I use the gotoURL command, it immediately sets off the Windows default pop up window "Possible harmful file...etc" which looks bad. I've read you can use a batch file & FS commands to launch 3rd party apps in Swish & avoid the windows default pop-up window.

So I tried that & liked 99% of it, it launches the app perfectly, but a little DOS pop up window pops up for about 10 secs stating d:>Start filename.doc, & then it disappears. I think this looks unprofessional. Ive tried opening the batch file in Win XP & altering batch file: close on exit/ minimize but it dosent seem to work. I set up a very simple mock up of my example with a fake word doc file, could someone plase take a look & tell me if they can get it to work without the DOS window. My file is for download at:

http://uniteddistributorscanada.hypermart.net/

If none of this can work does anyone know if I can use Javascript in my Swish CD to launch apps, and how i would do it.

Thank you for your time

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is unlikely that you'll be able to use JavaScript to launch an app ... JavaScript is built so that it doesn't have much (=any) power to do anything outside a browser environment. You could try ActiveX controls or Java ... ActiveX will work only on Windows environments, however.

•••
Thanks for the info IndigoPixel :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back