IT.COM

How to manage Sedo ownership verification when domains are set up with Afternic nameservers?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Allysin

Established Member
Impact
I figure there are 2 main players in the domain aftermarket (Afternic and Sedo) and it would be good to have my domains listed on both? (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Anyways, I believe that Afternic charges something like a 25% commission now unless you put their nameservers on the domains, at which point I think the commission goes down to something like 15%. So I have set my domains up with the Afternic nameservers. I have uploaded my domains to Sedo today and I have more than 200 domains which say:

....are pending ownership verification

Their process to do the ownership verification is to add my Sedo personal ID to the TXT record. I have just tried to do that but it doesn't work. I've gone on chat with Spaceship and according to them, this is only possible if I set my domains up with Spaceship's nameservers. Otherwise, I would have to do the TXT record at the place where the nameservers point to, which is Afternic and I can't possibly ask Afternic to verify the ownership for Sedo, can I?

What is the solution to this? I was thinking to change the nameservers temporarily to Spaceship's and then add the TXT record, wait for it to propagate and get picked up by Sedo and then change the nameservers back to Afternics? Would this work? Or would anyone have any other suggestions?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I was thinking to change the nameservers temporarily to Spaceship's and then add the TXT record, wait for it to propagate and get picked up by Sedo and then change the nameservers back to Afternics?

Exactly:)

•••
I figure there are 2 main players in the domain aftermarket (Afternic and Sedo) and it would be good to have my domains listed on both? (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Anyways, I believe that Afternic charges something like a 25% commission now unless you put their nameservers on the domains, at which point I think the commission goes down to something like 15%. So I have set my domains up with the Afternic nameservers. I have uploaded my domains to Sedo today and I have more than 200 domains which say:

Their process to do the ownership verification is to add my Sedo personal ID to the TXT record. I have just tried to do that but it doesn't work. I've gone on chat with Spaceship and according to them, this is only possible if I set my domains up with Spaceship's nameservers. Otherwise, I would have to do the TXT record at the place where the nameservers point to, which is Afternic and I can't possibly ask Afternic to verify the ownership for Sedo, can I?

What is the solution to this? I was thinking to change the nameservers temporarily to Spaceship's and then add the TXT record, wait for it to propagate and get picked up by Sedo and then change the nameservers back to Afternics? Would this work? Or would anyone have any other suggestions?

Activate the DNS record of your company where the domain names are registered. Add the codes you need to the txt record provided by Sedo. Wait for ownership verification. Once ownership is verified, change it back to sedo dns.

•••
Sedo is confusing.
I wish @Sedo was more active on NP.

Last edited:
•••

Yep, that’s what I do with my names at GoDaddy. Use GoDaddy default name servers add that Sedo txt record. Add to Sedo, wait till it accepts, usually just takes a minute or so, then update nameservers to where I really want them

•••
Activate the DNS record of your company where the domain names are registered. Add the codes you need to the txt record provided by Sedo. Wait for ownership verification. Once ownership is verified, change it back to sedo dns.

I typed wrong. The last thing you need to do is replace it with afternic dns.

•••
How long does it normally suppose to take via this method? (change nameservers to the hosting nameservers and then update the TXT record with my Sedo ID). The reason I'm asking is - I have done this and it doesn't seem to be picked up on Sedo's side all the while my hosting (Spaceship) put up ad pages on all of my domains and I understand this is not best practice in case of any disputes ever (the suing company could use that as an argument that the domain had advertisement up with ads similar to what their business is).

Sedo sent me this Email now:

We kindly ask you to verify that you are the current owner of these domains by using one of the following ownership verification options:

a) Recommended: The fast Self Verification method
Simply add your personal Domain Ownership Verification ID to your domain's DNS information at your registrar: XYZ
See how to self-verify your domains here.

b) DNS Verification method
Forward the DNS Servers of the domains to NS1.SEDOPARKING.COM and NS2.SEDOPARKING.COM Learn more about Domain Parking here.

c) WHOIS-Verification
Remove the Privacy Protection of your domains so that the registrant information is visible via a WHOIS search and inform us for a manual ownership verification. (Please note that the technical update of such changes can take up to 72 hours. May not be offered by every registrar due to privacy policies)

Would #b or #c be better after-all?

And how does c) suppose to work as I understand even if you ask to have Privacy Whois removed, it only gets removed on the registry level Whois but NOT on ICANN's Whois etc.?

Last edited:
•••
•••
When confirmed, change it back to afternic park dns.
Minor detail regarding lander selection: you cannot select the Parking Lander by just choosing nameservers any longer. Lander selection is now done in the dashboard.

1698012234435.png

In the past, you could change the lander by changing nameservers (ns1/ns2, ns3/ns4, ns5/ns6). A couple of months ago this method has changed. From now on, you will only set ns1 en ns2 as nameservers, and then configure your desired landers in the Afternic control panel. This can be done per domain, or in bulk. You can also set a default lander under Settings > Sale Lander. Newly added domains will follow those defaults.

More info can be found on this page: https://blog.afternic.com/lander-selection-redefining-your-use-of-afternic-landing-pages/

Last edited:
•••
I’ve been domaining for 10 years… never succeeeded to list a domain on Sedo.

Spent lots of time & sending emails, updating dns, insert txt or other code, waiting, change back and forth …

No. Just no.

Sedo is just over perfect. I am not good enough to marry her.

•••
I’ve been domaining for 10 years… never succeeeded to list a domain on Sedo.

Spent lots of time & sending emails, updating dns, insert txt or other code, waiting, change back and forth …

No. Just no.

Sedo is just over perfect. I am not good enough to marry her.
Ha ha - I know exactly what you are talking about! I've spent the last 3 days doing this - I started with about 250 domains to verify via the TXT record and now I'm left with 9 to do and it is very hard! Not every registrar lets you update the DNS records easily, some have it hidden and others don't provide that option at all. Even just changing nameservers seems mission impossible with some more obscure registrars (much less setting up a TXT record). I've spent countless hours on chat, raised tickets etc.

I wonder what the difference is - Afternic rarely asks for this while Sedo asked me to do this for 250 domains!

•••
I never solved the problem......and it only makes you more crazy on the mess..

•••
The main thing is that you should do BEFORE applying names to Sedo:
1) add their TXT record to your DNS settings
or
2) very temporarily point domain name to Sedo

3) you can do both - again, BEFORE you apply names to Sedo. If you do it AFTER, names won't be picked up and you'll have to wait 10 days until Sedo deletes them (you can't do it yourself and don't ask me why)). Then only after 10 days you can apply them again.

•••
sedo belongs to last decade.

My high school pretty girl
getting older and more and more ugly now

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back