Dynadot

域名|Chinese Perspective

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I believe only short and easy-to-remember domain names are sustainable, regardless of where in the world you live and which cultural background you come from.

Now that the Chinese domain market has become a hot topic, I myself want to understand this trend too. Is there any real meaning behind each domain name sold in China? Here, I'd like to share with you what I've found as I read the Chinese news everyday.

GZX.com
GZX can stand for 更自信 (even more self-confident) which can be used in many fields such as education, self-help, and even consumer products to raise your self image.

XLY.com
XLY can stand for 夏令营 (summer camp) or 新领域 (new field) which can be used in recreation and high-tech products.

New: Follow my blog posts on NamePros for updates.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I cannot see the value in 3/4N in the global western markets,
But the world is more than the few English speaking countries. There are many cultures such as Mexican, Indian, or Russian that I don't understand. Maybe one of them likes numbers too.

•••
Out of zg and cn which one popular to refer China?

•••
But the world is more than the few English speaking countries. There are many cultures such as Mexican, Indian, or Russian that I don't understand. Maybe one of them likes numbers too.
Not so, I understand the foundations of the western cultures. My inquiry was specific to China.

•••
Hey Kassey, what do you think about my domain ü8.com? Thank you!

•••
Hey Kassey, what do you think about my domain ü8.com? Thank you!
The ü is IDN? I have no experience 'translating' non-Chinese IDN to Chinese.

•••
Bhanu wrote in another thread: "....Chinese gift domains during festival seasons it seems ..."

I think this is true, Holidays in China include traditional gifts of large amounts of money. I suspect gold is also used.

Question: Have you heard of other things used in this gifting, for example stock shares? How far from the traditions would be a gift of, say, a LLL or LLLL.com?

•••
@Kassey Lee
how fo you see value of zhongguoc.com?

•••
I think this is true, Holidays in China include traditional gifts of large amounts of money. I suspect gold is also used.

Question: Have you heard of other things used in this gifting, for example stock shares? How far from the traditions would be a gift of, say, a LLL or LLLL.com?
Yes, things have changed. Even the red packet for Chinese New Year has progressed to an electronic version. See this video:

I have read about a guy buying a domain name for himself as a birthday gift, but domain name as new year gift is not in the mainstream news yet. Once domain name becomes part of the daily fabric of the Chinese society like real estate, then it's possible.

how fo you see value of zhongguoc.com?
For Pinyin name, please include the intended Chinese characters. My next blog posts talks about this issue.

•••
Kassey, Was surprised to find the two domains unregistered so checking to see if I have the right characters:
癌保險 & 癌症保險 as unfortunately this will be an awful problem for China.

•••
Hi @Kassey Lee

How are you? I need to know what might "ZY4C" mean?

There was a site developed which you can check here

•••
checking to see if I have the right characters:
癌保險 & 癌症保險 as unfortunately this will be an awful problem for China.
I'll pick 癌症保險 instead of 癌保險, because entering 癌保險 into Baidu returns results of 癌症保險. Cancer is a big issue all over the world, so cancer insurance does make sense.

How are you? I need to know what might "ZY4C" mean?

There was a site developed which you can check here
The archived page shows the company name 上海自动化仪表 = ShangHai ZiDongHua Yi Biao.
So, ZY may stand for part of its name, but I could not find anything in the name that is associated with 4C.

•••
Hi Kassey,

Any idea on what 176P means, i looked on wayback machine and it seemed to be some kind of tech/game site.
Also, these seem to have been developed in the past as well: 4y88 4q88 4n88 88a5 0y88
Most of these date back to developed sites in 2006, so are Chinese abandoning using mixes of numbers or letters, or only ones with specific meanings, like these may have?

•••
I'll pick 癌症保險 instead of 癌保險, because entering 癌保險 into Baidu returns results of 癌症保險. Cancer is a big issue all over the world, so cancer insurance does make sense.

Thanks Kassey ,FYI The reason I was surprised to reg the two domains was: [Reported 48 hours ago[ A seven figure sale for the domain CancerInsurance.com was unveiled today, by domain investor and financial researcher, George Kirikos. the alphabetical versions were gone but I managed to reg the best I could with CancerBaoxian. Hope you get the chance at the Chinese cc [not something I have ever done]

•••
Hi Kassey,

Any idea on what 176P means, i looked on wayback machine and it seemed to be some kind of tech/game site.
Also, these seem to have been developed in the past as well: 4y88 4q88 4n88 88a5 0y88
Most of these date back to developed sites in 2006, so are Chinese abandoning using mixes of numbers or letters, or only ones with specific meanings, like these may have?
I looked at the archived page of 176P.com. It was first used in 2006 by a company called 广东省通信公司, but there's no hint on why they chose this name. I don't see any link between them. I use Wayback Machine almost everyday to I've seen lots of Chinese websites with no link to the domain name they use. But, I hink LLNN is good for China because we tend to use 2 Chinese characters in names so LL is a perfect match, with NN either to give additional meaning or simply to give the name uniqueness as a brand. There are many sites using LLNN pattern in China.

•••
3.79 million Chinese living in the U.S alone, 2.2 million were born in China. 55 million spanish People in the us.. many speak English as a second language and I would assume a nnn even nnnn would be easier for them to recollect and type than a 2 keyword .com. imo

•••
•••
Good question! And which is better at the end of a 4L or 5L domain?
I think so, too. I did two simple searches using Baidu: (1) "cn zg" and (2) "zg cn". Interestingly, in both cases the first page of Baidu gave me more domain names containing "zg" than "cn". Just an observation, not conclusion.

"cn zg"
http://www.baidu.com/s?ie=utf-8&f=8...rsv_sug7=100&rsv_n=2&rsv_sug2=0&rsv_sug4=3475

"zg cn"
http://www.baidu.com/s?ie=utf-8&f=8...sv_sug7=100&rsv_n=2&rsv_sug2=0&rsv_sug4=21244

•••
•••
Hey Kassey o/

Last year I picked up baoxy (dot) com as something I saw then as a lively/happy sounding brandable. Google translations aside (bǎoxiǎn yè - insurance and underwriting), what would you suggest as meanings that actually make sense to Chinese as native speakers? Thank you :)

•••
Hey Kassey o/

Last year I picked up baoxy (dot) com as something I saw then as a lively/happy sounding brandable. Google translations aside (bǎoxiǎn yè - insurance and underwriting), what would you suggest as meanings that actually make sense to Chinese as native speakers? Thank you :)
It looks like Bao is Pinyin and XY is acronym, so mixing the two is generally not a good idea because the name is not easy for the Chinese consumers to remember. I generally avoid this kind of domain names. However, you can still 'translate' them as Bao (保) and XY(信誉). So, BaoXY:保信誉>Reputation Guaranteed. Baidu confirms 保信誉 as a generic term.

•••
Hey Kassey,

txhy.com, kqml.com - do they mean anything?

Thanks.

•••
Hey Kassey,
txhy.com, kqml.com - do they mean anything?
Thanks.
Yes, and here are two examples:
Domain NameChineseEnglish
TXHY同心合意Same heart, same mind (on the same wavelength)
KQML孔雀美丽Beautiful peacock

Last edited:
•••
What is this talk of letters L,N,R,P,Q being undesirable? Have you addressed this already?

•••
I am totally ignorant. I don't understand. Sorry, can't help.

•••
Yes, and here are two examples:
Domain NameChineseEnglish
TXHY同心合意Same heart, same mind (on the same wavelength)
KQML孔雀美丽Beautiful peacock
Thanks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back