Dynadot

域名|Chinese Perspective

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I believe only short and easy-to-remember domain names are sustainable, regardless of where in the world you live and which cultural background you come from.

Now that the Chinese domain market has become a hot topic, I myself want to understand this trend too. Is there any real meaning behind each domain name sold in China? Here, I'd like to share with you what I've found as I read the Chinese news everyday.

GZX.com
GZX can stand for 更自信 (even more self-confident) which can be used in many fields such as education, self-help, and even consumer products to raise your self image.

XLY.com
XLY can stand for 夏令营 (summer camp) or 新领域 (new field) which can be used in recreation and high-tech products.

New: Follow my blog posts on NamePros for updates.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi guys,

I know this has already been discussed. For those who were not aware. You can check the meanings of your short domains here -

https://translate.google.com/#zh-CN/en/

Google to the rescue !

- V

•••
At the Domain Pulse conference held last month, there was a Chinese domain market panel discussion attended by the following experts:

Philipp Grabensee, Co-Founder & Deputy Chairman at Afilias
Giuseppe Giovanni Graziano, CEO GRGG.com Brokerage & Consulting
Matthias Meyer-Schönherr, Sedo.com
Ray Zheng, Shanghai Racent Internet Group

I also contributed by doing a video talk, giving my long term view on the Chinese domain market.

•••
My latest story on the Chinese domain market has been published on Domain Name Wire:

Is .com still king in China? How important is .cn? Is there any other extension worth watching in China? These are questions many domain investors may have in their minds. To answer these questions, I turn to the annual publication “China Statistical Report on Internet Development,” the latest of which was released last month. More

•••
XY
Many cominbations possible. Let me give you just two. (1) 仙药 (elixir of immortality) How about a brand for a pharmacetical company?) (2)喜游 (happy tour). Anyone in the tourism business?

ZX
Again, many combinations possible. For example: 真笑 (true smile). How about using it as an oral product brand?

QX
This is is even better than ZX. 千笑 (thousand smiles).

ZY
Ditto. Just for a little bit of fun. How about 租友 (friend renting)? There must be many lonely souls in the country of 1.3 billion people.

That's enough for now.

•••
Hey thanks I am learning well.

What is the meaning of these

BJFDC

FCZJ

GNGZH
BJFDC(BeiJingFangDiChan) means Beijing real estate
FCZJ (FangChanZhongJie) means property agency or (FangChanZhuanJia) means property expert.
GNGZH has no good meaning.

•••
In China there are two schools of domain investors. One school, the majority and the mainstream, focuses on .com and .cn. The other school feels premium .com and .cn are too expensive for the common folks to invest, but finds other extensions offer more value. eName editor Wei Wei interviewed eight domain investors (some names are nicknames) for their views.

Yao ZHANG sticks to .com and .cn only, because the former is king and the latter is backed by the Chinese government. Both extensions are used extensively and have wide support from corporations.

Yi Peng XIE focuses on .com but also buys .cn. He thinks the other extensions are very risky because they are subject to market manipulation, causing big rise and fall in prices.

Xiao He WANG buys .com only, because it's a "hard currency" in China. He does not recommend buying domain names in big lots.

Zuh Jiao does not go beyond .com, .cn, and .com.cn, because they are solid extensions. He suggests that investors should always be aware of risks, consider actual use and value to end users, and not to follow the crowd.

Qi says domain buying used to mean value investing but now is about speculation. He divides his fund equally between the two, and invests in .com, .cn, and .cc.

Yu Sheng DENG thinks investing in new gTLDs is fine. Because mainstream extensions are expensive (even 6N .com have rocketed in prices), end users will consider other extensions. He likes .club because it is used globally including China, unlike .wang and .top.

Li Mei mainly invests in .com, .cn, and .cc. She likes .cc because the extension is short, looks beautiful, has wide applications, and is backed by Verisign. This year she invested 350k RMB to hand-regged more than 20k of .cc and so far the value of her portfolio has risen to 20m RMB.

Ma Long loves new gTLDs because many names are available and easy to remember. The key is low price with a lot of room for price increase. He has no doubt the new gTLDs will have a place in China. A good example is .wang where he has profited 1m RMB.

Chinese source

•••
keep it simple

sold a Chinese surname + co .com

afternic $5999

easy : )

•••
I can't see any domain bubble in China.

A bubble is formed when the general population is involved. At least that's what I've learned from past bubbles. Legend has it that Joseph Kennedy sold all his stock before the Crash of 1929 after a shoeshine boy gave him some stock tips.

Now, I read Baidu news everyday using the keyword 域名(domain). What do I see? Most news come from eName, followed by a few from the tech industry. That's it. I don't see major Chinese news publishers reporting on people buying and selling domain names everyday.

Is there really a domain bubble in China?

•••
Here are some possible combinations off the top of my head.

BWZ
不外走 (don't go outside)
不武争 (don't resolve conflict with force)
步稳重(walk steadily)
不微赚 (make no small profit)

There may be many more possibilities. Branding with letters or numbers is an art which requires a lot of thinking.

•••
I also own 9988877.com I picked it up last year before the numerics boom and get frequent offer spam. Does it have any good meaning?
Numbers beyond 4N are mostly for speculation where meanings are not important.

Domains is ChickenLollipop.com
Simple English words are acceptable, but I'm not sure how many Chinese understand the word "lollipop".

How much do the Chinese like English names that have a special meaning in Chinese culture?

Something like Golden Dragon . xyz
Unlike "lollipop" mentioned above, this one may work because they are common words. However, it may take quite a while before long, two-word names become popular in China. Most likely on .com. For .xyz, you need to be short, imo.

if you have a short name and add a number best before or after? re 8che.com or che8.com Have noticed some of these with companies Thank you
Very good question and I'm still debating it myself. I have both types but I notice my LLL8.com receive much more traffic than 8LLL.com. Also, because 8 rhymes with "bar" LLL8.com gives more possibilities and now I tend to gravitate toward LLL8.com. In short, I prefer LLLN.com to NLLL.com.

ShengxiaoYuce.com
I was going to buy this domain do you think it has value and what could be its meaning ?
No idea. I won't buy something that I don't understand.

LLLL.com ending in Gs means company is google translator correct on this please
and are they a good to reg.
Yes, GS:公司>Company

If a Chinese wants to start a website for some personal reasons (blogging, family sharing, showcase of personal achievements etc.) that has nothing to do with commerce, will he choose .com or .cn domain?
I see it as a global issue. For personal website, there is less motive to stick to .com or ccTLD because good names are long gone. Instead, people will go for something that is (1) cheap, (2) easy to register, (3) cool (4) short and easy to remember. This is where the many new gTLDs will come in. Say, I like skiing, then kassey.ski is excellent for a skiing blog for me.

any insights you can share as to the Chinese meaning of 1227? I own the .com
1227:要爱爱妻>Want to love, love wife
1227:要爱爱亲>Want to love, love, kiss

•••
how big in your opinion will "Internet Plus" ( sort of IoT of China) become in China over the few years?
This is just a natural progression, similar to the introduction of electricity into our homes a hundred years ago. In the beginning electricity started for the purpose of providing light to homes, then it spread to the whole fabric of the society. In the same way, I see the Internet becoming part of the fabric of the society. Internet+ in China is about incorporating the Internet into traditional businesses.

I have ZP1.com since 2000. Never knew ZP had chinese meaning of "Hire".
ZP:招聘 should better be translated as "Recruit". "Hire" alone can be misleading. It should be "hire staff".

Where can we find this info.
Is there a numeric translator?
Is there anything we can type a 4N or 5N into and get some kind of meaning from it?
I'm not aware of any translator for that purpose. I've just finished a chart on "translating" numbers (0 to 99) to Chinese words and the blog post should be published this month earliest. This is an ongoing project and the goal is to cover up to NNNN eventually.

•••
I try to post but this message pops up
The print is still small. Can you just focus on the message area?

thought I'd ask your thoughts on the domain chinaspower.com .
ChinaPower.com will be very good but I'm not sure about ChinaSpower.com

LL:聊聊>Chat
LL:联络>Contact

LY:鲤鱼>Carp
LY:旅游>Tour

Kassey, does VRluxing work for you.
No, I don't invest in Pinyin. I won't comment unless a Pinyin name is accompanied with its intended Chinese characters

tiyude.com ( tiyu is sports) comments please?
Ditto

What are best numbers to register from 11 to 98? TOP 15 Please!
I don't think in this way. I judge each domain name on its merits. My question is always: Does this number have a good Chinese meaning and can be used to launch a business? I have a blog post on 0 to 99 scheduled to be published next week.

•••
Pinyin domains and branding opportunities in China

Pinyin domains are important to corporate China because the majority of business names use Chinese characters and Chinese characters can be represented by Pinyin words. However, Pinyin words have a common problem, which may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. (2019.05.11)

Read the rest here

•••
@Kassey Lee

Acquired:
AIXX(.)COM
I think it has great potential in Artificial intelligence with meanings like;
A.I 学习(Xue Xi)---> A.I Learning.
A.I 学校(Xue Xiao)---> A.I School.
A.I 学校 (XinXi)---> A.I Information.
AI 行星 (XingXing)---> A.I Planet.
AI 星星 (XingXing)---> A.I Star.

and also for phrases like;

爱学习, 爱星星, 爱学校, 爱讯息.

Last edited:
•••
A bunch of cultural facts and personal ideas regarding Chinese domains investments:

From what I know, in China, people are buying plate numbers with '8' or short QQ numbers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tencent_QQ#Related_characteristics) for expensive amounts.

For instance, if you look registrant email in whois info for TTTP.co, you will see a 6 digits QQ number, and for 1688.in you will see a short yahoo numeric email. More generally, Chinese domains investors have interesting whois data, with rare QQ numbers (containing various 8), short QQ numbers, phone/email numbers with 8...

This just shows that Chinese interest for numbers is not a new trend, but it's the first time it impacts Western world with such visibility.

This research for interesting patterned-domains, in various extensions, more and more obscure, reminds me the gold rush centuries ago or more recently, the mining of virtual currencies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin#Mining).

And like gold: supply is limited (as short domains), storing it in a bank has a cost (like a renewal fee), most gold reserves have no industrial usage (like patterned or numeric domains, most of them won't be developed) and as long as people AGREE that they have value, they have value. Scarcity alone does not make value. People MUST agree in common that a limited product has value to give it some value. Beware if/when this common credo (will) change. Maybe it will never change.

•••
Are aeiou bad in Chinese domain names? How about the name GOUE? It's got three vowels in this 4-letter name. How much is it worth?

According to recent news, Chinese firm 深圳购易天空科技有限公司 (Goue Technology Co. Ltd) bought Goue.com early this year for 7 figures (RMB?) as their official website. Goue is not the exact spelling of the company name, but rather the domain name rhymes with the company name 购易 (Gou Yi). The company also owns goue.com.cn.

The company is a O2O startup with fresh funding. No product has been launched yet, and both sites have a landing page only.

•••
bj 北京
sh 上海,生活
sz 深圳,苏州
zj 之家,浙江,自驾,湛江,资金
sd 山东,速递,水电
sc 四川,收藏,送餐,商城,
rc 人才
zp 招聘
hr 人才招聘
bb 宝贝,宝宝
mm 妈妈,妹妹,面膜,美眉,买卖
xw 新闻
tc 特产,同城
jk 健康,驾考
ys 养生,饮食,云上,医生,艺术,影视
sy 商业,沈阳,摄影,实业,生意,试衣
gj 国际,工具,高教,逛街
dg 代购,导购,帝国,电工
ms 美食,秘书,美术
zr 整容,妆容,众融
jr 金融
jj 家具,基金,经济
xd 信贷,小贷
dk 贷款,短裤,点卡
kd 快递,口袋,快贷
fc 房产,发财,妇产
zh 智慧,中华,珠海
zn 智能
yd 药店,移动,预定
yy 医院,医药,营养,影院,音乐,语音
zg 中国,自贡,掌柜
cn 中国,处女
tx 天下,通信,同学,同性
gg 广告,哥哥,公关
jd 酒店,机电,家电
hw 户外,海外,货物
jy 教育,交友,酒业
yx 游戏,医学,音响
zx 在线,装修,中学
ym 域名,易名,源码,幽默,影迷,玉米,爷们,姨妈,移民,姚明,杨幂,渔民,育苗,艺名,原木,沂蒙,银幕,养猫
wl 物流,网络,温岭
zz 针织,郑州,站长
cm 传媒
my 母婴,蚂蚁,贸易
zm 芝麻,桌面,照明
tt 天天,谈谈,听听
mz 拇指,妹子,门诊,梅州
sj 手机,世界,数据,商机,设计
sm 数码,商贸
px 培训,皮鞋,皮箱
xx 信息,新鲜,小学
rx 热线
yw 义乌,业务,原味
dm 动漫
dh 动画,导航,兑换
qc 汽车
yj 有机,瑜伽,眼镜,应急,冶金
cw 宠物,财务,车网
bc 银行,板材
ls 绿色,律师,零食,铃声,连锁
zc 众筹,早餐,租车
mr 美容
dj 代驾,度假
lm 联盟
wd 微贷,网店,网贷
dc 地产,打车,订餐
xm 厦门
ok
ex 快递
ev 电动
cb 银行
zb 珠宝,资本
zl 助理,租赁
jz 建站,家政
zs 掌上,招商,助手,装饰
cf 财富
rz 融资
qb 钱包
pg 评估,苹果,皮革
rr 人人
zq 证券,足球
wy 我要 无忧,网游
gf 股份
jf 金服
xt 信托,学堂
ph 普惠
dy 第一

免费送你们了,好好学学!

•••
Legal - 法律 - FL (no v)
Gambling - 赌博 - DB
Sex - 性 - X
Vacations - 假期 - JQ
Insurance - 保险 - BX
Travel - 旅游 or 旅行 - LY or LX

•••
Experienced domain investor Duan XU said something in an interview that caught my attention.

----------

Lo: Some people say that the value of a domain name is eventually reflected in the development of a website, and domain names will eventually be in the hands of end users. How do you see it?

Xu: Website development is just one of the possibilities. End users are not the only path. There are many investors who have kept their premium domain name collection for over 10 years. A valuable domain name can be used for its purpose. It is also a digital asset which stores value and is portable across the whole world.

Source:
http://news.ename.cn/yuminggushi_19700822_101770_1.html

•••
N-N-N with end users:

0-0-6.com (2013)
0-2-4.com (2013)
0-7-9.com (2005)
0-8-0.com (2003)
1-1-5.com (2013)
1-2-1.com (1999)
1-2-3.com (1996)
1-3-5.com (2013)
1-4-3.com (2000)
1-4-4.com (2013)
1-5-0.com (2012)
1-5-7.com (2013)
1-5-8.com (2004)
1-8-1.com (2007)
1-9-1.com (2014)
2-0-1.com (2012)
2-1-9.com (2014)
2-2-3.com (2012)
2-3-4.com (2000)
2-4-8.com (2013)
2-7-3.com (2015)
3-0-3.com (2007)
3-2-0.com (2013)
3-4-1.com (2013)
3-5-9.com (2014)
3-6-1.com (2010)
3-6-0.com (2007)
4-1-8.com (2004)
4-1-9.com (2014)
4-3-3.com (2013)
4-4-2.com (2015)
4-5-0.com (2015)
4-6-0.com (2013)
4-6-8.com (2013)
5-1-2.com (2010)
5-3-1.com (2010)
5-6-9.com (2014)
6-0-3.com (2014)
6-3-1.com (2015)
6-6-8.com (2013)
6-8-6.com (2012)
6-8-8.com (2012)
6-9-6.com (2011)
7-1-3.com (2005)
7-2-1.com (2004)
7-2-4.com (2001)
7-2-5.com (2007)
7-5-4.com (2015)
7-7-7.com (1997)
8-1-0.com (2012)
8-2-7.com (2012)
8-6-0.com (2013)
9-0-8.com (2013)
9-1-0.com (2003)
9-8-6.com (2011)
9-8-7.com (2011)

Collected by @Domain-Reseller

56/1000 = 5,6% End-user development rate, probably the highest I've seen in one domain category.

•••
Stats about Internet in China
As of July, 2015

Internet population: 668m (No. 1 globally)
Websites: 4m
Domain names: 22m (.cn 12m)
Fixed line broadband subscribers: 200m (No 1 globally)
4G mobile broadband subscribers: 250m (No 1 globally)
Internet companies listed: 328 (61 in US, 26% of China's total stock market value)
Companies in Internet Global Top Ten: Alibaba, Tencent, Baidu, JD.com
Value of Internet economy: 7% of GDP and rising

So, you can see there's still tremendous growth potential of domain names in China

Source: news.sina.com.cn

•••
Why is the Chinese domain name market so hot?

As shown by YAO.com sold for 21,500,000 RMB at the recent auction in the Chinese Domain Festival and China Digital Asset Investment Summit, the Chinese domain name market is really really hot! Why? Here are three reasons.

1. Rarity of quality domain names
Theoretically, the number of domain names available is so astronomical that it can be consider unlimited. But, only a small number of them can be used for communication purpose. So, short supply means higher prices.

2. Internet growth and startup boom
This is further fueled by the government push for 'everyone starting a business' strategy. This creates huge demand for domain names to build websites.

3. Large influx of capital
Domain name transactions used to be low profile and done among domainers and some IT professionals. But, this year a lot of money left the stagnant housing market and stock market crash and entered the domain name market.

Source: www.csdn.net

•••
And I really liked the meaning of it. Think I will keep it:) And all here asking for questions, I have actually hired Chinese translators to interpret the number domains for me. Since this person do it for free, I would be happy to donate $10. Just send me a paypal address. best regards/John
You are very generous. Being appreciated is the most rewarding thing for me, so I'm happy to help and I don't need the money. Thank you though. :) :) :)

•••
@andrew111 and @JUWON You folks are wonderful. Actually I have already received many benefits. Because of your support in this thread I started in Nov, I was given the opportunity to start a blog. I have received free help to improve my writing skills. Most of all, being appreciated is the best gift I have got. I'm sure one day you'll be able to help me. So, don't worry about the money thing.

Meanwhile, please keep questions coming, and try to limit your question to one domain name so that I can help more people. Also, if you don't get response from me, don't worry. I'll try to answer the questions in order, hopefully making more interesting blog posts to come. Thank you for your support, and Happy New Year from Middle Earth!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back