Domain Empire

域名|Chinese Perspective

Spaceship
Watch
I believe only short and easy-to-remember domain names are sustainable, regardless of where in the world you live and which cultural background you come from.

Now that the Chinese domain market has become a hot topic, I myself want to understand this trend too. Is there any real meaning behind each domain name sold in China? Here, I'd like to share with you what I've found as I read the Chinese news everyday.

GZX.com
GZX can stand for 更自信 (even more self-confident) which can be used in many fields such as education, self-help, and even consumer products to raise your self image.

XLY.com
XLY can stand for 夏令营 (summer camp) or 新领域 (new field) which can be used in recreation and high-tech products.

New: Follow my blog posts on NamePros for updates.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Market Watch

3N1,550,000 (=)58,888 (^)15,000 (^)
4N150,000 (=)5,425 (=)1,500 (=)
5N5,924 (^)250 (v)65 (^)
6N139 (v)55 (v)62 (=)
3L388,888 (^)16,888 (=)12,500 (=)
4L2,899 (v)107 (v)60 (=)
[th][td]Com[/td][td]Net[/td][td]Org[/td][/th]
Transaction Date: 2015.11.23
Currency: RMB
Prices: Highest prices of day
Symbols: ^ increase, v decrease, = no change over previous day
Source: Chaomi.cc

•••
You can download the Sougou and Baidu input apps. Then you can type the Chinese characters.
For example, when I type PQ, there will be many Chinese characters such as 聘请, 脾气, 抛弃..
Then I copy the characters to Google to translate. I find the 聘请 means hire, 脾气 means temper,
抛弃 means abandon. By this way, I have known what PQ means in Chinese.
hello, I have been getting traffic from baidu for one of my 5L domain with V ending it. Please what has Baidu got to do with domains?

•••
hello, I have been getting traffic from baidu for one of my 5L domain with V ending it. Please what has Baidu got to do with domains?

I'm pretty sure Baidu is the primary search engine used in China so it would send traffic to domains the same way that Google does.

•••
I'm pretty sure Baidu is the primary search engine used in China so it would send traffic to domains the same way that Google does.
Thanks but archive has no result on the said domain if it had a website on it.

•••
That is odd but Archive.org isn't comprehensive. I would try putting the Baidu referral pages in Google translate to try and determine how and why the links to your domain are appearing.

•••
Experienced domain investor Duan XU said something in an interview that caught my attention.

----------

Lo: Some people say that the value of a domain name is eventually reflected in the development of a website, and domain names will eventually be in the hands of end users. How do you see it?

Xu: Website development is just one of the possibilities. End users are not the only path. There are many investors who have kept their premium domain name collection for over 10 years. A valuable domain name can be used for its purpose. It is also a digital asset which stores value and is portable across the whole world.

Source:
http://news.ename.cn/yuminggushi_19700822_101770_1.html

•••
•••
Yes, Baidu is the largest Chinese search engine. Your domain name must have some meanings in Chinese.

•••
According to this news story, Apple secretly grabbed 苹果.健康 (苹果=Apple and .健康 = "health" Chinese extension) on November 17. The story mentioned a rumor that Apple is developing a health-related product.

Not long ago Microsoft and Amazon also registered their corresponding Microsoft.健康 and Amazon.健康 and 亚马逊.健康(亚马逊=Amazon).

Source: http://news.zynews.com/2015-11/23/content_10435459.htm

•••
Really Interesting Times!

•••
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Much clearer now - but also much harder. Any old letter will not necessarily do!

•••
Market Watch

3N1,550,000 (=)58,888 (=)14,888 (v)
5N5,688 (v)248 (v)58 (v)
6N117 (v)57 (^)56 (v)
3L388,888 (=)15,988 (v)8,888 (v)
4L2,899 (=)104 (v)60 (=)
Transaction Date: 2015.11.24

•••
your data included for all letters ? are only chinese premiums ?

•••
your data included for all letters ? are only chinese premiums ?
The 3L and 4L categories refer to 三字母 and 四字母 on Chaomi. As I am still a new reader of this site, I have not found out how they group domain names and whether there's any overlapping.

I did not include the many other groups such as 四声母 and 五数字不带04 because I don't know if there's any interest in such details. If folks request for them, I'll add the info.

•••
ok Thanks for your info .
Let me put them in USD shortly . it may help others.

@ChinaMobi Are you from China ?

•••
I can easily program it to automatically convert to US$, but I decided not to because then it'll be affected by currency fluctuation. The purpose (at least mine) is to see the trend, so I thought the currency factor would not come into play. Yes, I'm a native Mandarin and Cantonese speaker.

•••
Yes, But my brain is keep on converting the RMBs to USD.
Since we are buying and selling in USD. we can easily connect with USD data.

•••
Portfolio buying is getting popular in China. According to this news story, investor Zheng Feng YANG recently sold a package of 3L .net, and then paid a 7-figure price for 30 3L .net yesterday.

Some of what he bought include:

qjw.net(齐家网=home management web)
wqc.net(微汽车=micro car. Like one-seater?)
wwm.net(微外卖=micro food delivery. No idea how micro can it be?)
pzw.net(品质网=quality web)
sqw.net(省钱网=money saving web)

In a separate transaction done earlier, he also bought:

SH.NET(上海=Shanghai)
JR.NET(金融=finance)
PW.NET(票务=ticketing)

Currently, he owns several hundreds of 3L .net and 4L .com, as well as other extensions.

As you can see, Yang does not buy random letters. Each of the domain names mentioned here can be turned into a real business.

Source:http://news.ename.cn/yumingjiaoyi_19700822_101801_1.html

•••
Portfolio buying is getting popular in China. According to this news story, investor Zheng Feng YANG recently sold a package of 3L .net, and then paid a 7-figure price for 30 3L .net yesterday.

Some of what he bought include:

qjw.net(齐家网=home management web)
wqc.net(微汽车=micro car. Like one-seater?)
wwm.net(微外卖=micro food delivery. No idea how micro can it be?)
pzw.net(品质网=quality web)
sqw.net(省钱网=money saving web)

In a separate transaction done earlier, he also bought:

SH.NET(上海=Shanghai)
JR.NET(金融=finance)
PW.NET(票务=ticketing)

Currently, he owns several hundreds of 3L .net and 4L .com, as well as other extensions.

As you can see, Yang does not buy random letters. Each of the domain names mentioned here can be turned into a real business.

Source:http://news.ename.cn/yumingjiaoyi_19700822_101801_1.html
I beg your pardon, but inputting those letters on any translator I got totally different chinese signs (and meaning of course) why is that?
example
qjw= 全景网
wqc=网球场 (tennis court)
and so on...
what am I missing here?

•••
I beg your pardon, but inputting those letters on any translator I got totally different chinese signs (and meaning of course) why is that?
example
qjw= 全景网
wqc=网球场 (tennis court)
and so on...
what am I missing here?
IMO these letters combinations are the abbreviation of Chinese PinYin, just like English abbreviation, such as CIA, it's the abbreviation of Central Intelligence Agency and it also can be Certified Internal Auditor. And I think that's why ChiPs are valuable, the same letter combination has different meanings and is suitable to different end users. :-,

•••
@thetruman, Andy is right, and your suggestions below are also correct.

qjw= 全景网
wqc=网球场 (tennis court)

The ones in my post were not invented by me. They were taken from the news story. I only did the translation.

Let me give you another example.

ZJS can stand for:
宅急送 (courier service)
浙江省 (ZheJiang province)
职介所 (job placement agency)
镇江市 (ZhenJiang city)
and many more.

So, one single domain name can be used by many users, each having a different meaning. That's the power of letters (and numbers too) in both English and Chinese.

•••
is .mobi popular yet in china? wondering if i should try to sell my name BJCN.mobi on 4.cn

•••
Market Watch

3N1,550,000 (=)58,888 (=)14,888 (v)
5N5,688 (v)248 (v)58 (v)
6N117 (v)57 (^)56 (v)
3L388,888 (=)15,988 (v)8,888 (v)
4L2,899 (=)104 (v)60 (=)
Transaction Date: 2015.11.24

Wait is that chart saying that 2,899 Yuan was the high for 4L.com ? That would be only like $454 ? 1 Yuan = .1565 USD

•••
Wait is that chart saying that 2,899 Yuan was the high for 4L.com ? That would be only like $454 ? 1 Yuan = .1565 USD
As I said earlier, I'm still new on Chaomi so please bear with me. I'm still learning how to interpret its data.

I just checked the site again for the sales (actually BIN prices) on Nov 24.

4L com (四字母COM) is 2,899 RMB
There is also another category 4 Initials (四声母COM) 15,800 RMB (maybe I'll add this one to the chart because these domain names are in high demand apparently.

•••
Thank you for starting this thread Chinamobi....
What is your opinion on the following
jsvsj.com (Jiangsu JS )

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back