Dynadot

.com Future

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Argentum

Established Member
Impact
.com succes shows that you dont need to be genius to develop your business...just be first in this field..and everyone will follow you..i personally invested everthing in .com but same time their build on that is can be broken at anytime but I still not know where exactly..as all tlds failed againts .com, only some EU tlds like .de, co.uk, .nl, .be i see as independent strong tlds..so what other alternatives except crappy new tlds can be against .com?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nothing goes up against .com apart from a few country-level tlds in specific countries, as you have mentioned above. It'll be the same in 20 years time too, provided there is not a new routing system in place by then. .COM is just the premium go-to TLD. Everybody wants one. It has panache and trust. A very rare quality.

An example. If you own Food.com you are at the top of the food-chain (forgive the pun). Every other domain in the world market would prefer Food.com rather than their own Food.xyz. Even the successful owner of Food.ccTLD wants Food.com. It is the premier top-level TLD everybody wants. And will continue to want even after all the dust settles on all these New GTLD's.

•••
.com is like wine, the older it gets ... :)

•••
I think that .com will be leading for quite a few years but I believe that some of the new gtlds will be extremely successful; we just need some big corporations to start changing their website and spend a lot in advertising. Then the game will change.

•••
COMpany
COMmerce
COMmunications
COMputers
COMments

That is why it is in COMmand

•••
ccTLDs have been gaining ground in many countries. In the markets that have a strong local extension, .com is already considered a legacy TLD (*), or a TLD that one must have when your business has international ramifications.

In some markets (Europe) I have also observed that .com is regarded as an "American" extension, because it is heavily associated with mainstream US sites like google, facebook etc. Internationally it remains the gold standard of extensions. So no worries.

•••
Even more reasons to hold to .com
Eventually one of those cctld owners in co.uk or .nl or .de or .ru etc. will grow and want to go international. So you just wait to see which one graduates first )

•••
My 7 year old already associates the Internet with .com because the sites he uses and has used are .com. There will have to be a massive seismic shift of useful content to other TLDs before there is any hope for them to catch on.

So far, there is no sign of that happening.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back