IT.COM

Could I get in trouble?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I own the name www.nbachat.com

If i were to create a site with it, could I be in trouble with the NBA?

Just wondering,
Cedric

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
you see alot of fan sites for nba and other things so i dont really think you would be in any trouble, maybe someone else can back me up..

•••
n.b.a. is trademarked in many ways, so the answer is yes but it is very unlikely the nba would go after it.

•••
I would say that if you developed it into a Fan site you should be fine. Like mentioned, there are many sites in operation using NBA in their name.

Mike

•••
question,

Once I create this community, I wouldn't be able to allow advertising on it would I.
(clean, wholesome, G rated ad's)

Cedric

•••
I don't see why not. If they ever did contact you, tell them that they best shut down the other sites first which have been operating under a NBA name for years prior to shuting you down.

Mike

•••
For some of my buddies out there - I'll throw this out...

NBAportal.com is available for reg.
At least it was a couple of days ago :gl:

If someone grabs it - LET ME KNOW!

Good luck,
Mike

•••
I got it maxweb

and the .net

thanks,
Cedric

Last edited:
•••
oh its about the nba

i thought it was nbtstat :S

cant imagine em going after you

•••
Awesome Cedric - you owe me one ;)

Best of luck!
Mike

•••
Yes I do... :)

Thanks a million,

Cedric

•••
Technically, you shouldn't profit from a fan site. but it happens all the time. But that doesn't mean that will not come after you.

Originally posted by cis4life
question,

Once I create this community, I wouldn't be able to allow advertising on it would I.
(clean, wholesome, G rated ad's)

Cedric

•••
The answer is that once you except money on the site that the NBA can and will say that your using THE NBA as if they were an affiliate and that you are using the name for profit of a "MARKED" name by the NBA. Also if they wanted to they could trap you so be careful, as they may ask to buy trhen use this against you. I would not sell the advertisment but i would build up a Big fan based site for free, then submit it to the NBA after you get big and see if they would like to partner up with you, say they could make the money in the advertising and you get a %. Thats not bad faith intent and your promoting there product for free. That is not breaking any laws.
Good Luck!
Francois Dejon

•••
there are too many nba sites, and you're just one fish in a big sea

•••
Originally posted by csmaster2005
there are too many nba sites, and you're just one fish in a big sea

Well that's not the most realistic advice, is it? Fishermen do catch fish from time to time. It just depends on the size of their net, right?
:hehe:

•••
i dont think you will get into trouble at the start. BUT when your site have a high profile and racking in $$$$, someone might make a fuss then about trade marks, copy right etc!!!:tri:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back