Domain Empire

security CSO - Spammers expose their entire operation through bad backups

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kate

Domainosaurus RexTop Member
Impact
CSO - Spammers expose their entire operation through bad backups

This is the story of how River City Media (RCM), Alvin Slocombe, and Matt Ferris, accidentally exposed their entire operation to the public after failing to properly configure their Rsync backups.

The data from this well-known, but slippery spamming operation, was discovered by Chris Vickery, a security researcher for MacKeeper and shared with Salted Hash, Spamhaus, as well as relevant law enforcement agencies.

While security practitioners are familiar with spammers and their methods, this story afforded Salted Hash with a rare opportunity to look behind the curtain and view their day-to-day operations.

Source: http://www.csoonline.com/article/31...eir-entire-operation-through-bad-backups.html

PS: some familiar names in here ;)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is an eyeopener. Thanks for sharing :)

•••
Really, people still worry about spammers? My gmail catches almost everything and if it does not then I mark your address as blocked. I cannot even remember locking at spam.

That said I pay for google apps and I cannot remember the last time a client said one of my emails went to spam. Before I had google apps every 10th person or so said my email was in spam.

If spam software keeps getting better these guys will be out of business anyways.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back