IT.COM

Do you think teenagers are steriotyped across the internet?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you think teenagers are disrespected on the internet?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes - And we should do something about it

votes
    52.9%
  • No - But it would be nice to have a system where teenagers can gain a status that people can trust

votes
    11.8%
  • Yes - But I don't think its right to start a system

votes
    17.6%
  • No - And I don't think any type of system is good!

votes
    17.6%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

PoorDoggie

Soon to be RICHdoggie!VIP Member
Impact
Do you think that teenagers are frowned apon across the internet?

I do... but what can we do?

I was thinking... maybe we could start up a website/system where teenagers come and register as a business. We monitor their services and provide full reports on the running of the business. They can have a free logo to put on their site as well, saying they are certified!

Who thinks this is a good idea? Only for teenagers remember! :)

Tom

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
contact me, im willing to help. If we can get big enough the goverment will probally allow them to be registered for real.

get a hold of me with any instant messager on my profile.

I will buy the domain, provide the hosting.

•••
No, I think its more hassle than it's worth. I'm doing just fine right now without any type of "system" getting in the way.

•••
It's an idea that's worth looking into IMHO. However, it'd take a lot of work on the part of the webmaster and may or may not work.

I can say, however, that teens are indeed stereotyped. I've been afraid to share my age for the concern that I could lose potential clients. Unfortunately, teens are seen in a very bad light in online business.

•••
hmm... thats what I was thinking - If there is a banner on ppls sites that says "certified teenage seller" then ppl would take one look at turn their noses! I am willing to give it a try though - axilant... I will add you to MSN! :)

•••
Its an interesting proposition, and one that could work, or might not....

However i dont think you will get far enough to see this as a global or even national symbol....

But who knows? You might get lucky!

•••
I think a lot of people treat teens different, but with a good site and a good portfolio/resume/cv you can gain some cred.

•••
I would agree with a lot of people when saying that teenagers are stereotyped, however so far it has only been a small barrier for me. Most people just seem to assume that I'm in my twenties (I'm 17). However the reality is that there are many more IT/internet savvy teenagers than any other age group because we have been brought up in an age of IT.
I would be very much interested in starting some sort of a system and I will be speaking to you about it PD

•••
I agree zeeble it's our generation that will become the pros and we are the ones taking over, we are growing up with the changes while we are the younger generation and so we can grasp it all a lot easier.

Like talking to my uncle he couldnt beleive a broswer could pick up just this on a page;

PHP:
echo "hello uncie";

He couldn't beleive a browser could echo that with no html tags or anything just that on its own lol.

•••
:lol:

my dad keeps saying "Why do you keep doing all the <table><tr><td></td></tr></table>? Why don't people just use a WYSIWYG (or how my dad pronounces it: wiziwig". I keep trying to tell him that WYSIWYG is really bad because of the differences in browser size and resoloution, but he won't listen.

Is there anyone else interested in helping with this? I do hope we are able to do this :)

•••
I would like to volounteer for the admin side, I study Business and therefore have experience in that field.

I suggest that we set up a forum so that we can continue to discuss this in more private.

I have a lot of ideas forming already and I would prefer to discuss them privatly.

•••
ok.. I will see what I can do about the forum :)

•••
nice idea anyways PoorDoggie :D If ever you make that site let us know.

•••
liam_d said:
I think a lot of people treat teens different, but with a good site and a good portfolio/resume/cv you can gain some cred.
how can a teenager get a good portfolio, if people stop as soon as they hit the site? eg: If teenagers are disrespected then they arent going to get work.

Also - What about teenagers who own domain re-sellers or hosting re-sellers or something? People mainly don't trust websites no-one has heard of, and if they look like something a teenager would think up... they will not get much business....

So, this is why we are doing this.

nomis135 said:
nice idea anyways PoorDoggie :D If ever you make that site let us know.
Thanks

BTW: at the moment, the forum is temporarily at http://poordoggie.co.uk/recognition. Hopefully, soon my host (1 and 1) will make the subdomain recog.poordoggie.co.uk.

Tom

Sabre Hosting said:
Its an interesting proposition, and one that could work, or might not....

However i dont think you will get far enough to see this as a global or even national symbol....

But who knows? You might get lucky!
you miss the point - The point is to give people a way of checking the service quality of teenage sites (or any business sites for that matter, but teenagers need it the most). We aren't doing it to get a global recognition - infact we don't want to be recognised. We just want to provde service reports! :)

•••
If you want to help, or you have some ideas for this site please visit: www.recog.poordoggie.co.uk and sign up.

Recog = recognition

Thanks
Tom

•••
Seems like you're asking a few things here...

I think teens are steriotyped a little, not really a big deal. I'm more sterotyped over my race then my age. I tend to sterotype people on their religion a little too much, but in a town where most of the residents are German, too much compared to who I wonder...? Everyone sterotypes someone so it's not a big deal...

I don't think teens should have businesses, I would prefer the right to drink, vote, and say whatever I want without it being "disturbing the peace" (Thanks for your help Bill or Rights) For one, if I **** up, I ****ed up and I wouldn't be able to do anything about it, neigher would you guys. If teens were just allowed to just have businesses and they scammed you you can't sue them or anything. And another thing, as teens we have school, we should concentrate on school instead of a business which will most likly fail anyway.

•••
Qwert said:
I don't think teens should have businesses, I would prefer the right to drink, vote, and say whatever I want without it being "disturbing the peace" (Thanks for your help Bill or Rights) For one, if I **** up, I ****ed up and I wouldn't be able to do anything about it, neigher would you guys. If teens were just allowed to just have businesses and they scammed you you can't sue them or anything. And another thing, as teens we have school, we should concentrate on school instead of a business which will most likly fail anyway.
you have some very good points, but I am very organised. I can do both business and school at the same time, without much confilct.

Drinking and voting however are some things I disagree with youy about. If teenagers can't be trusted to run businesses, why should they be trusted with alcohol and voting. I mean, how are we meant to know that teenagers are sincere in their voting, if they are not sincere enough to run a business?

I think that we need to get our priorities right. I don't own a business where it takes all my time. I only work a few hours a day with mine. That leaves time for homework and school! :) But then again, once ppl know I am a teenager then they will disrespect me more.

•••
You say that school is more important than having a business, however, have you ever thought that starting your own business and teaching your self will perhaps prepare you better than any GCSE or A level?

•••
Zeeble said:
You say that school is more important than having a business, however, have you ever thought that starting your own business and teaching your self will perhaps prepare you better than any GCSE or A level?

The answer to THAT, is simply YES. Qualifications are way more important than a business when you are young...

Think, if your business flops for any reason, you have no backup.

However, i have to say, most teens should not have a business, but some DESERVE the right....

And its only for other people to judge you.... (thus i cannot judge myself and say i am competent, but ive been told i am, by people i respect at NamePros.... :))

Id give up Sabre anyday to get 11 GCSEs instead of 6..... (for example)

•••
Now, if you guys wanted to start a forum solely for teen entreprenuers, I would help. But asking to start a business to oversee businesses created by teens is a little much. A step in the right direction would be to start a forum for teen entreprenuers with articles & tips and such.

•••
I agree with the forum idea - I think it would be much more productive. I remember such a forum a whole back but I don't think it ever really went too far. Once again you're getting back to the area where many teens just don't like to publically share their age.

•••
The Equivocate said:
Now, if you guys wanted to start a forum solely for teen entreprenuers, I would help. But asking to start a business to oversee businesses created by teens is a little much. A step in the right direction would be to start a forum for teen entreprenuers with articles & tips and such.
You could be right. - By the way... we don't want to start up a business (well organisation - non-profit) to oversee other teenage businesses, we want to give them a "rating" so that people can make sure that they are a decent, honest and reliable entrepreneur.

A forum just for teenage business ppl would be a good idea though, maybe as a starting point for this organisation.

If you wish to put forward some ideas (some that I have heard already are excelent! :)) please visit http://recog.poordoggie.co.uk

NB: RECOG.POORDOGGIE.CO.UK DOES NOT HAVE ANY FORUMS ON ENTERING THE SITE, THIS IS BECAUSE THEY ARE HIDDEN TO NON-REGISTERED USERS - JUST SO THAT PEOPLE CAN'T "STUMBLE" ACCROSS IT! :)

•••
PoorDoggie said:
you have some very good points, but I am very organised. I can do both business and school at the same time, without much confilct.

Drinking and voting however are some things I disagree with youy about. If teenagers can't be trusted to run businesses, why should they be trusted with alcohol and voting. I mean, how are we meant to know that teenagers are sincere in their voting, if they are not sincere enough to run a business?

I think that we need to get our priorities right. I don't own a business where it takes all my time. I only work a few hours a day with mine. That leaves time for homework and school! :) But then again, once ppl know I am a teenager then they will disrespect me more.

This is possibly a difference between US and UK but look at it this way. Compare the number of people who own a business (small or corporate) to the number of people who are drunks and still vote.

•••
Qwert said:
This is possibly a difference between US and UK but look at it this way. Compare the number of people who own a business (small or corporate) to the number of people who are drunks and still vote.
Sorry, you misunderstand me... what I am saying is:

drinking - alcohol is a drug... It has the same effects and I personally don't think anyone should drink it.

voting - ok... this is important, but younger people don't really know whats happening or what they should vote for. Also stuff that happens in voting dosen't ususally effect younger people. For instance, there is going to be a general election here and most of the points don't effect me in the least.

running a business - keeps teenagers out of trouble. If easilly integrated with school and other more important stuff, then it should be ok. I run a web design business, and I can efficiently run it, and then have enough time for school and homework.

Do you see what I am saying? Drinking and Voting - there are some valid reasons for not doing this, but running a business - as long as it dosen't intefere with anything more important, is OK

•••
Well here are valid reasons for drinking and voting

Drinking - Brings in money, the bars pay taxes and the more they make the more they pay in taxes helping fund other things, such as schools. You know the school system in US, as well as UK, and most of Europe is shit, more money might help...

Voting - Definatly a difference between US and UK. You guys don't have Bush as your president. And no Tony Blare isn't just as bad. Which is more money, 25 Billion USDs or 4 Trillion USDs?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back