NameSilo

Domain lease / purchase approach

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Please can anyone help me.

I am in the UK and I have been approached by a party in Missouri to lease one of my domain names for a year for $1000 with an option at the end of the year for the lessee to purchase the name for $4500; alternatively at the end of the year the lease would end and I would still own the name. This is his second attempt to purchase the name; his first attempt was rejected at $1000 as being too low. I have been asking $7000 for the name.

I realise there are a number of pitfalls and legal advice / a contract is probably a must. However the lease payment would probably get gobbled up by the lawyer's fees.

Would I be better off trying for an outright sale for less money but paid up front, or alternatively an outright sale for more money but spreading the payments over a fixed period with the name not transferring until the final payment is made?

Any suggestions / comments to help me consider the matter would be welcomed.

DavidH

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting Question Dave.

I would have to say it depends on your finiancial situation, and always remember, a long term "potential" deal would take the domain off the market for that period of time.

Personally, I would consider seriously the annual "rental" fee, along with a price to buy, HOWEVER, allow for a clause that kicks in if you have a serious offer over and above there rate. They have to pay the difference instantly if that is the case subject to proof.

Just my thoughts ;)

As for the figures, not overly bad. Really depends on the name and value to the buyer :)

Rgds
MAtt

•••
also, you really wouldnt have to get a lawyer to do the paperwork, you'll just need to type up a contract stating that their party agrees to pay your party x amount of $$$ to lease ___ domain for ___ long, have them sign it and you sign it and fax back or mail back

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back