IT.COM

Domain Nabber from Name.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Name.com Released its version of backordering a domain yesterday, The Domain Nabber can be found on there site. I say its a neat little software they released for use. It searches deleting domains and you have the options to choose what you would like such as keyword, traffic, length and more.

Read More or Go to Domain Nabber

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
From their site:

Along with leaving the Beta tag behind, we are also updating our pricing. During our Beta period we offered the Domain Nabber service for as low as $18.95 per domain name and based on feedback from some of our users, comparing our service to others, and looking at statistics, we've decided to make the new price for Nabbed .com and .net domains $49.95/domain, starting April 12, 2010. We believe our Nabber service is cheaper than many of our competitors and as always there is no risk in placing a backorder because if we don't nab the name for you, we'll refund the charge or give you account credit, your choice! We appreciate all the feedback and suggestions we've received and we hope the low beta pricing made it worth it.

How did those conversations go? "Oh, love your service but it's too cheap for me. Think you could charge me $20-30 more? Thanks--appreciated!"

•••
They probably mean their customers have sent them congrats and rated their service very positively. I don't think people have suggested them to increase the price :)

•••
interesting? I sent an email to someone I know in the company asking. They should reply later today and I will give some info on it.

•••
It makes ya wonder if we were the reason for the price raise. "They love us! So maybe we should jack the price up." Maybe if we told them that it sucked, they'd have lowered it. We praised it and the price soared. I think the users screwed themselves lol

They probably mean their customers have sent them congrats and rated their service very positively. I don't think people have suggested them to increase the price :)

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

That'll be interesting to read.

interesting? I sent an email to someone I know in the company asking. They should reply later today and I will give some info on it.

•••
For me the question is: though they fully refund in case the grabbing fails, why do they have to charge $49.95 in advance? Each time you place a backorder and it fails, you'll need to wait for the bank to send the refund to your CC. Won't it be easier to charge the fee only if the domain has been successfully grabbed?

•••
I haven't read their full site but I'm guessing it's pretty much like GoDaddy: If a domain fails to capture, you could reassign the credit to another domain. But hat's an assumption.

For me the question is: though they fully refund in case the grabbing fails, why do they have to charge $49.95 in advance? Each time you place a backorder and it fails, you'll need to wait for the bank to send the refund to your CC. Won't it be easier to charge the fee only if the domain has been successfully grabbed?

•••
I haven't read their full site but I'm guessing it's pretty much like GoDaddy: If a domain fails to capture, you could reassign the credit to another domain. But hat's an assumption.
Looks like they let you choose where you want them to send the refund:

We believe our Nabber service is cheaper than many of our competitors and as always there is no risk in placing a backorder because if we don't nab the name for you, we'll refund the charge or give you account credit, your choice!

Maybe if we told them that it sucked, they'd have lowered it. We praised it and the price soared. I think the users screwed themselves lol
:bingo:

•••
Well I mean I read it all but I didn't think about the price cause I don't back order. I do like name.com but the pirce seems to be in competition with SnapNames or NameJet, not GoDaddy.

Yes, You do get to choose if you would like a refund or account credit to use.

•••
Hi guys,

Thank you for the feedback, we understand the price jump may seem a little shocking. At $49.95 we're confident that Domain Nabber provides a better value for a lower cost than our competitors. It is right up there with the top drop catching services that charge $60+ per domain and you have the added peace of mind that your names will not go to auction. Hostix is correct in that we aren't necessarily trying to compete with someone like Godaddy here.

To answer Archangel, the conversations didn't quite go like that, haha! At Name.com we try to provide the best services at the lowest prices, but with Domain Nabber we had to face the fact that we could not realistically maintain the service at such a low price. We started off at $18.95 so that customers could confidently use the service while we worked out the kinks. The feedback we got during this time proved invaluable and we really thank our customers for that. However, it has always been the intention to raise the price once we made the jump from beta to prime time. This allows us to continue to offer these backorders at no risk to a growing number of customers and give full refunds (no transaction costs, etc.) if the name is not picked up.

We definitely understand your reaction and we hope that now you understand a little bit about where we're coming from. As always, we appreciate your feedback.

Cheers,
Lesley Yarbrough
Community Manager
Name.com

•••
Thanks for coming in here and clarifying things for us. From the way I see it, the best two deals in this niche are GoDaddy and name.com . Bot have their advantages over the other. GoDaddy is cheaper (under $10 if you know how to) and name.com isn't too terribly much cheaper than Pool. But if name.com won't place domains into an auction, then there alone is the BIG factor between them and the rest. I do wonder, though, what the success rate is for name.com's. All & all, this sounds like a winner but I think $34.99 would be the best price, to best differentiate between the bigger services.

Hi guys,

Thank you for the feedback, we understand the price jump may seem a little shocking. At $49.95 we're confident that Domain Nabber provides a better value for a lower cost than our competitors. It is right up there with the top drop catching services that charge $60+ per domain and you have the added peace of mind that your names will not go to auction. Hostix is correct in that we aren't necessarily trying to compete with someone like Godaddy here.

To answer Archangel, the conversations didn't quite go like that, haha! At Name.com we try to provide the best services at the lowest prices, but with Domain Nabber we had to face the fact that we could not realistically maintain the service at such a low price. We started off at $18.95 so that customers could confidently use the service while we worked out the kinks. The feedback we got during this time proved invaluable and we really thank our customers for that. However, it has always been the intention to raise the price once we made the jump from beta to prime time. This allows us to continue to offer these backorders at no risk to a growing number of customers and give full refunds (no transaction costs, etc.) if the name is not picked up.

We definitely understand your reaction and we hope that now you understand a little bit about where we're coming from. As always, we appreciate your feedback.

Cheers,
Lesley Yarbrough
Community Manager
Name.com

•••
I am sure the service will be an award winner during 2010 and show that Name.com can run with the big dogs, No registrar or drop service gets every name. I am confident that Domain Nabber will grab names and provide the service it was intended to, Though the price is a little steep it is not the highest price on the market.

•••
Name.com won't send to auction if there are multiple people back ordering? How is that going to work?

First come first served? Random?

•••
I think they will Stil with the First Come, First Serve. But I will e-mail Lesley and she is he/she can't clear some more Questions about the platform.

•••
I don't mind it if they, my registrar, credit my account and the funds
are available at my control.

Cool search tool though and it seems fast. I'm just soooo leery of all
our serch data being used against us later to inflate the prices on names
with popular or numerous searches. And front running us.

Godaddy, and others, sell our search data already. All the registrars
need is a real time tool to get us before the check out or in our carts.

Remember the days of compilng a list of available names then researching
them to go back and reg the ones worthy? Those days are gone because
of all these search tools we use.

Wow .... what a loony rant .... sorry guys/gals. I digress

•••
Name.com won't send to auction if there are multiple people back ordering? How is that going to work?

First come first served? Random?

Yes, our backorders are on a first-come, first-served basis.

Thanks for coming in here and clarifying things for us. From the way I see it, the best two deals in this niche are GoDaddy and name.com . Bot have their advantages over the other. GoDaddy is cheaper (under $10 if you know how to) and name.com isn't too terribly much cheaper than Pool. But if name.com won't place domains into an auction, then there alone is the BIG factor between them and the rest. I do wonder, though, what the success rate is for name.com's. All & all, this sounds like a winner but I think $34.99 would be the best price, to best differentiate between the bigger services.

We can't really give out the percentages of our success rate, but we will say that we're extremely competitive with the other drop catching services.

I think they will Stil with the First Come, First Serve. But I will e-mail Lesley and she is he/she can't clear some more Questions about the platform.

Thanks Hostix, I appreciate the email. Please feel free to email me if any other questions or concerns come up.

Cheers,
Lesley

•••
From experience, I can confirm that it's first come first serve. Only one person can back order a particular domain.

I've been able to successfully back order approximately 10 domains in the past month using this service. Success ratio was roughly 50%. What I can't confirm is whether any of those successful back orders were also back ordered at NameJet or SnapNames.

•••
Cool search tool though and it seems fast. I'm just soooo leery of all
our serch data being used against us later to inflate the prices on names
with popular or numerous searches. And front running us.

You have a valid concern. We assure you that at Name we take your privacy and security very seriously, and we NEVER record any search data on our site. We prefer to build our business on a foundation of trust and relationships vs. trying to scheme our customers. :)

•••
please provide a pagerank checker for domains search

•••
does the backorder include 1 years registration fee included? like no extra hidden fees after the name is grabbed???

thanks

•••
does the backorder include 1 years registration fee included? like no extra hidden fees after the name is grabbed???

thanks

Yes, it includes the renewal.

•••
cool thanks just placed 2 backorders and IF they are not successful I will ask for refund! :)

but I am pretty confident I will get them.

•••
Let us know how it goes...

cool thanks just placed 2 backorders and IF they are not successful I will ask for refund! :)

but I am pretty confident I will get them.

•••
Any promo code to reduce back order charges?

Also it would be nice to know some people reviews about the successful rate like if you had back ordered the same domain at Snap, NameJet, Pool and with Name.com so did Name.com grabbed any domain for you ever? Just to know so that we can compare how good is Name.com back ordering service...

•••
I would consider trying the service out if you were not billed ahead of time. I don't see this being a realistic contender to other major drop catching companies if you are billed $50 before the domain is even secured. Just sounds like too much of a hassle.

I would happily pay $50 if it caught a domain I backordered, but not upfront.

Brad

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back