NameSilo

Domain Nabber from Name.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Name.com Released its version of backordering a domain yesterday, The Domain Nabber can be found on there site. I say its a neat little software they released for use. It searches deleting domains and you have the options to choose what you would like such as keyword, traffic, length and more.

Read More or Go to Domain Nabber

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There is no point in backordering an enom domain anywhere else than namejet. Similarly with moniker and snapnames. The reason is, as you might already know, partner registrar domains are pushed into the auction system during redemption period. They never enter pending delete status and the dropcatcher never needs to catch them because it is already in their system. This is also the reason why these domais don't get their registration date reset.

It's also why you can win an auction and end up empty handed when the original owner renews... right?

Awesome post by the way.

•••
The only explanation I have to that is namejet must be auctioning the same domain twice. Once as a pre-release domain during redemption period and then if nobody has taken it, a few days later as a pending delete domain.

I took 1000 random pending delete domains from namejet and tested their registrar. I found 82 enom domains. Also I found lots of godaddy and moniker domains.

The system works like this:
Godaddy auctions godaddy domains during redemption period. Snapnames auctions moniker domains during redemption period. And namejet does the same for enom domains. During that stage the other dropcatchers don't see each other's exclusive domains. In other words those domains are listed only on their partner dropcatcher. You can take a pre-release namejet domain and try to find it at snapnames. You can't. Then if those domains are not taken they enter pending delete status and the same domains are auctioned again but this time all dropcatchers will list them.

A few years ago snapnames was using the terms partner registrar and other registrar. I like that a lot since it was very easy to understand. Later on they started calling partner registrars as "expiring domains" and other registrars as "deleting domains". I think this new terminology is totally crap and they should revert back to the original.

This is why you can see godaddy and moniker domains at namejet under pending delete section. You can also see enom domains on namejet under pending delete.

The domain you bought at namejet must have been auctioned at namejet a few days prior to that auction and nobody took it.

On namejet, under "my account/ reports" I can see all domains I won along with their source. The source is either pre-release (just another name for partner registrar) or pending delete. I checked all pre-release domains and all of them maintained their original creation date. None was reset. So I think you will see that the domain you won has was a pending delete domain.

Let me put it this way: Most pending delete domains are unwanted waste that have already passed one auction. If any moniker, enom, godaddy, network solutions, register.com, dotster directi domain enters pending delete status it must have been already auctioned once and nobody took it. If you want good quality domains you need to find them on their partner dropcatcher before they enter pending delete status, while they are still in redemption period.

Therefore name.com has no chance catching a quality domain that is registered with one of the major registrars unless the domain was overlooked during the first auction on its partner auction house. On the other hand if the domain is registered with one of the smaller registrar then all dropcatchers including name.com will genuinely try to catch it.

For those who got confused with the terms. This is what different sites like to call the same thing:
1. pre-release (namejet.com) = partner registrar (old snapnames.com) = expiring (snapnames.com) = exclusive (namecatch.com) = exclusive (dropday.com)

2. pending delete(namejet.com) = other registrar (old snapnames.com) = deleting (snapnames.com) = other (namecatch.com) = unexclusive (dropday.com)

Last edited:
•••
During the last week I used Nabber to backorder two great domains: Scenes.net and DomainingForum.com - guess what? They got caught by someone else. I'm starting to think it's a waste of money.

•••
The system works like this:
Godaddy auctions godaddy domains during redemption period. Snapnames auctions moniker domains during redemption period. And namejet does the same for enom domains. During that stage the other dropcatchers don't see each other's exclusive domains. In other words those domains are listed only on their partner dropcatcher. You can take a pre-release namejet domain and try to find it at snapnames. You can't. Then if those domains are not taken they enter pending delete status and the same domains are auctioned again but this time all dropcatchers will list them.
Not quite. The domains are auctioned before they are let into redemption, which after 30 days turns into pending delete.
Technically the names never expire, because the registrars automatically renews them with Verisign. They have 45 days to cancel the renewal and get a refund, so in the meantime they try to sell them. The holder can still redeem the domains during that grace period.

If the domains don't sell at the auctions, the registrars then let them into redemption.

•••
Yes, sdsinc is absolutely right about GoDaddy auction procedure.

•••
There is no point in backordering an enom domain anywhere else than namejet. Similarly with moniker and snapnames. The reason is, as you might already know, partner registrar domains are pushed into the auction system during redemption period. They never enter pending delete status and the dropcatcher never needs to catch them because it is already in their system. This is also the reason why these domais don't get their registration date reset.

totally agree...

•••
sdsinc,
You are probably right about that detail, regarding partner registrar domains getting temporary renewed and their renewal cancelled if they are not sold. But the point is, most (%65 according my calculation) pending delete domains have already passed one auction stage.

For instance you can see pending delete moniker, enom, godaddy domains at namejet. All these pending deletes were already auctioned and nobody wanted them. Name.com has only pending delete domains. Which means %65 of these domains were already auctioned probably weeks before on their partner auction house.

The reason why namejet or godaddy is strong as an auction house is because they auction domains that come automatically into their system. It's not because they can catch pending deletes better than snapnames. So what is name.com trying to do? To me it looks like a misconfigured system.

If they want to succeed as an auction house I suggest they should find some smaller registrars to exclusively auction those domains along with their own expiring name.com domains. There needs to be a partner registrar category at name.com. And a separate pending delete category. Currently they only have the pending delete category which is 65% useless.

•••
From my experience Snapnames is most effective at catching pending delete domains because they have tens of registrars hunting for them at the same time. I believe name.com only have 3 registrar pool connections. Difficult to compete against other dropcatchers. Even godaddy has 8 registrar credentials I believe. Of course there is also a bit of luck involved but overall name.com won't do wonders with names that are coveted by other parties.

•••
I agree with sdsinc and I think the $49.95 fee is definitely more that what it's worth!

•••

My understanding:

Pre-release goes with the registrar's partner, who sends it to auction (or sells it to the one bidder for the price he/she has bid) and never drops; retains its creation date.

Pending Delete will actually drop, so it's good to bid on the big three: Snap, Namejet, and Pool.

No, I don't hang with the pre-charge that namenabber charges. My cc company goes nuts with those kinds of back and forth charges.

IMO, Not a good business model.

•••
If they would offer $5 + regular reg fee for a relaxed "register when available, or few hours later" service, I would use name.com.

lothos,
I'm not looking for a monitoring service as it is not enter and forget. I would have to then track changes and register manually. But I can't do that since this would be too tiring. I have usually more than 3 domains like this every day.

As far as I know there are two cheap backorder services that probably won't catch the domain the moment it becomes available, but they would beat hand registers. These two providers are premiumdrops.com and godaddy.com.

Last time I checked premiumdrops.com wasn't accepting paypal and I'm never going to give them my credit card details so that option failed. I try to use godaddy but they are so annoying every time I use them I end getting extremely upset in front of my computer. For instance they do this annoying paypal thing where they give themselves access to take as much as 5000 USD from my paypal and personal bank account without asking me. You can't make one off paypal payments on godaddy. If you have ever used godaddy, inside your paypal account (under profile/pay list) you will find these settings.

What I want is actually a very simple register later service that will beat hand register but won't beat any dropcatcher.

Last edited:
•••
Does anyone know what time of day the Nabber tool updates the database to show the most recently added domains? Right now, 8:34am EST, May 21st is chooseable in the drop down menu, but searches return no results.

•••
I can see the price is now $29.99.

Why are these people always so useless? Why doesn't a name.com employee post here and update the information?

They create a new feature, then don't add it to their main site navigation. When people complain about the high price they drop it but don't post an update here.

Name.com must be one of those companies where nobody knows what they are doing. They even have a section for exclusive expiring name.com domain which I just realised now. Name.com get a grip, will you?

•••
"Nab domains starting at $29.99"

it's still $49.95 for .com and .net

•••
Yes, you are right. I saw the 29.99 price on this page where they list their own expiring domains:
https://www.name.com/expired_domains.php

I recently posted a message suggesting that they should auction partner registrar domains and their own expiring domains and not one name.com employee came here to say we already so this.

Did you guys know they auction their own expiring domain names? I didn't know that.

They are doing a few things right. For instance they have smart developers you have build some good search features. There is also somebody from name.com in this forum but for some strange reason they don't respond or even don't monitor the biggest thread about their company.

•••
Does anyone know what time of day the Nabber tool updates the database to show the most recently added domains? Right now, 8:34am EST, May 21st is chooseable in the drop down menu, but searches return no results.

I have the same question. Can anyone tell the exact time when they update for the latest day added under Drop Date column

•••
ive used it a couple of times and im quite satisfied with this service!

•••
ive used it a couple of times and im quite satisfied with this service!

I have back ordered 8-10 domains with them till now and they have failed to grab a single domain for me. If you can share what were the names they grabbed for you...?

•••
It surprise me! I backordered 4 domains from namenaber and these domains registed by name.com but they can not catch them

•••
Read my message #52 a few messages above. Once the domain enters pending delete no registrar has any priority. You are too late. You should get the domain during pre-release when there is no dropcatching.

All name.com domains go to snapnames pre-release auction between day 22-40. On this page select "expiring" as domain source to see pre-release partner registrar domains:
https://www.snapnames.com/store/domainer.action#store;storeName=domainer

Then they go to name.com exclusive auction between day 40-45 on this page: http://www.name.com/expired_domains.php

Then around day 75 they enter pending delete and appear on snapnames, namejet and name.com pending delete list which are all the same list and you can find it here:
http://www.name.com/deleting-domains/

You missed the first two auction. You could get the domain when it dropped but you backordered at the wrong place. Always backorder at snapnames any pending delete domain regardless the registrar. If it is an important domain use snapnames and namejet. However even better than this is to get the domain in the first auction.

If anybody from name.com is reading this:
Your prices are too high. When you first started this service I suggested the price $25. The dropcatching game is too competitive. Drop your prices if you want to get a slice of this.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back