IT.COM

Domain transfer away Free or Fee?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi folks,

Could anyone here please share your expertise or opinions on this domain registrar?

One of my domain is currently registered at www.websitetoolshop.com for more than 90 days, anybody has heard of it? When I attempted to transfer the domain away to another registrar they simply did not want to release it by providing auth code. In order to get the auth code "termination fee" that's what they called it, they charge US $99 so you can have the auth code. Isn't that weird? Does that mean I have to stay with them forever until I am willingly paying US $99 to transfer away??

What do you guys think?

Cheers,

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Normally doesn't cost a fee to transfer out (except to new registrar which adds 1 year renewal fee) - without reading more I assume it's in their terms?

•••
Yes, it is in their term of service which I did not even read before registering. Who would anyway?

What a rip-off shamed on this little registrar. How long are they going to last?

•••
This is outrageous. Are they an ICANN accredited registrar or a reseller? I see that their own domain name has been registered just under a year so they have not been around long.

The vast majority charge nothing to transfer out.

If they are a reseller I would complain about them to parent.

If they are ICANN accredited I would submit a complaint to ICANN.

Can someone more up on ICANN rules tell me if a transfer out fee of this magnitude is even allowed?

•••
•••
I don't think they are the actual registrar. Check the who is to see where the name is registered.
The website is designed by a 10 years old kid with no information. I think they scammed you.

•••
This is outrageous. Are they an ICANN accredited registrar or a reseller? I see that their own domain name has been registered just under a year so they have not been around long. The vast majority charge nothing to transfer out. If they are a reseller I would complain about them to parent. If they are ICANN accredited I would submit a complaint to ICANN. Can someone more up on ICANN rules tell me if a transfer out fee of this magnitude is even allowed?

Yes, outrageous but can happen. Years ago I was told in emails that unless I pay a so called (made-up and not in the TOS or website) service charge (I think it was $200 plus) they will not give me auth codes to transfer away a few domains. That was at a large U.K. based registrar who I think is still in business today.

Yes, they were ICANN approved but I was busy at the time and did not file a complaint, just paid the extortion fee, which I could have and should have charged back on my card but did not.

P.S. I have read bad stuff about UK domain registrars in general and warn people to stay away from them.

Last edited:
•••
This page https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/auth-2013-05-03-en recommends logging a "Transfer Complaint" if the registrar doesn't provide the auth code within 5 days of request. Perhaps you should provide them with this information as an ultimatum :).

The Icann rules on charging for a transfer:
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/name-holder-faqs-2017-10-10-en
6. My registrar is charging me a fee to transfer to a new registrar. Is this allowed?

Yes. Registrars are allowed to set their own prices for this service so some may choose to charge a fee. However, a transfer cannot be denied due to non-payment of this transfer fee.

Hard to understand what that last sentence means in practice...

Some registrars charge very little for first year registrations but a $12-ish transfer-out fee. If this info was prominently displayed at all stages of the registration process and easily accessible within the account, I would be ok with this as it essentially means that if you transfer out, you are paying the first year registration fee at the end of the year instead of the beginning, which could be useful in case of cash flow problems etc. However, I really wish that ICANN would push for such transparent pricing, with a requirement that all transfer-out and push fees etc. are prominently listed.

•••
What registrar is shown in WHOIS of your domain?

•••
Hi folks,

Could anyone here please share your expertise or opinions on this domain registrar?

One of my domain is currently registered at www.websitetoolshop.com for more than 90 days, anybody has heard of it? When I attempted to transfer the domain away to another registrar they simply did not want to release it by providing auth code. In order to get the auth code "termination fee" that's what they called it, they charge US $99 so you can have the auth code. Isn't that weird? Does that mean I have to stay with them forever until I am willingly paying US $99 to transfer away??

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Sorry about your trouble,, but taking a quick look at their website I would have run away as fast as I could.
It looks like they are less than a year old and just a reseller for Synergy Wholesale.

Are you listed as the domain owner or them ?

You might be screwed.

Last edited:
•••
you have many good choices around to register and keep your names.. so there is no need to go to ripoff places like his one that no one heard of.

seems icann says they can't prevent you to transfer it if you do not pay fee... so you can call icann to confirm. they have good phone access.
gl

•••
What registrar is shown in WHOIS of your domain?
Create account with registrar which is displayed in WHOIS. And then ask them to move your domain under their direct management.

•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back