Dynadot

question Domains from movies and tv shows

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

rafaelo0

Top Member
Impact
Was reading a while back on this topic and i remember mentioning somewhere that do to fake advertisement law movies and tv productions normally reg domain names (if they aren't developed or in use) that are going to be mentioned in their movies or tv shows for protection against this law.

Was watching a tv series the other day and did a quick search on the domain name mentioned on the show it seems to be owned by a media company at least the name servers were pointed to warner media but did another quick search on another domain from the same show but on a different episode and the domain was caught by drop catch by a domainer and pointed the name server to park logic.
My questions are:

Do media productions really reg domains mentioned on their shows or movies to protect them selfs against this fake advertisement law?

Why do they let the domains drop after some time?

IMO all media productions should do this and redirect the domains to their movie or tv shows website (which some do) more quality traffic for them.

I can imagine high traffic on this domains if the movie or show is popular and could be used to make money with parking or develop a brand if the domain is brandable or with other methods.

Would like some feedback on this topic.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have wolfwhistle.com although never exactly mentioned it was sounded out as Homer was listening to the radio on the Simpsons "www dot wolfwhistlesound dot com. Often it is a comical address people use eg: Wilfred tv show man dressed as a dog had playdog.com or something like it. People forget to renew domains every day especially if thinking they were buying it or life not understanding renewals. Los Pollos Hermanos the chicken shop in breaking i saw at one point bad became an adult company address.

Last edited:
•••
I own A/n/y/S/h/o/w/s (.com)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back