Domain Empire

advice DON'T GET LOST IN WEIRD .comBINATIONS!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DOMAIN ILLUMINATI

THTMVATMEDNOATTop Member
Impact
Hey nP members,

we all know that the TLD space has changed completely.

While we can see many creative and great domains made from new TLDs we can see much more really weird and pointless .combinations - means weird and pointless domain name combinations in the .com extension - it often just looks like that 'it must be a .com in every case - no matter how pointless the name combination itself is'.

There are now so many opportunities to 'label' meaningful domain names with a new TLD - I personally recommend .top for the optimum / best 'label' - don't think .com is the future.

DON'T GET LOST IN WEIRD .comBINATIONS!

Do you agree?
Or not?
What is your opinion?

All the best with your invest,
kingof.top

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
what are your thoughts on the .ooo extension?

Cheers
Corey
Like most newGs, it's new and interesting to people, but i think many would respond like "dot what?" :D

•••
Confusion with 000 .....ooo

•••
•••
No but there is still an element of confusion and no real direction with this extension

•••
most humans are resistant to change

.ooo gtld is here to stay

Cheers
Corey

•••
•••
^ I should have said most .com domainers are resistant to change

end users are more flexible and now only have to click on a link

Cheers
Corey

•••
End users are voting with their wallets too.

•••
•••
Sedo sold Ada/Com for $200.000 ...... I know what I would prefer, a few sales does not make a trend

•••
^ congrats on your sale. I didn't know you owned ada.com

•••
There might be a slight misconception that made-up brandables,are equipped with an intrinsic value,by default,irrespective of how they sound,as long as they're backed by a '.com' TLD.

The funny thing is, 'wierd' is just a matter of perception.
What's sounds appealing to one,could be ambiguous to others.
This is the sort of misconception,that could lead to a series of unrewarding registrations.

The skill lies in recognizing patterns that are pronounceable & relatable on a global scale,or atleast in countries where e-commerce thrives & has a substantial role to play.

•••
^ congrats on your sale. I didn't know you owned ada.com
Thanks but not mine, point was that .com is where the money is now, cheers

•••
^they sure are....you only need to see the sale results published on sites like dnjournal

The sales results show that end-users hardly buy nGTLDs. Most non .com gTLD sales are .net and .org. In the early stages when there is still hype around some new extensions sell but a few years later you hardly hear about them. .xxx had a few good sales in the beginning. Today it's dead. A few years from now many nGTLDs which had some early promising sales will be as dead as this one or even more. .VIP is a good candidate for example IMO.

gurls.xxx 501 USD 2015-03-11 Flippa
shanghai.xxx 1,188 USD 2015-03-04 Sedo
supplements.xxx 7,500 USD 2015-02-08 Uniregistry
sex.xxx 3,000,000 USD 2014-06-11 ICM Registry
vine.xxx 1,450 USD 2014-03-19 GoDaddy
teen.xxx 400,000 USD 2013-10-23 ICM Registry
mobile.xxx 160,000 USD 2013-02-20 ICM Registry
loft.xxx 15,845 USD 2013-01-02 Sedo
swag.xxx 1,400 USD 2012-12-12 Sedo
pheromones.xxx 1,244 USD 2012-06-04 Sedo
toys.xxx 125,000 USD 2012-05-09 ICM Registry
lean.xxx 1,995 USD 2012-05-09 Sedo
movies.xxx 90,000 USD 2012-04-25 ICM Registry
sju.xxx 3,000 USD 2012-04-17 Sedo
footfetish.xxx 89,000 USD 2012-04-11 ICM Registry
blacktube.xxx 3,250 USD 2012-03-06 Sedo
gay.xxx 500,000 USD 2011-10-19 Private

So even .net and .org clearly beat nGTLDs.

At the moment we have: .com >.ccTLDs >.net/.org > nGTLDs

Last edited:
•••
There might be a slight misconception that made-up brandables,are equipped with an intrinsic value,by default,irrespective of how they sound,as long as they're backed by a '.com' TLD.

yes .com alone does not make a great domain but extensions other than .com don't sell well even with good names on the left side of the dot. Another problem is that if you have a domain other than .com, .net and .org, ccTLDs many will not understand your URL.

That leaves you with little options in practice.

Some domainers think because they are familiar with nGTLDs and understand them, everyone else will understand them too. This is not the case.

•••
Of course we all realise this thread is just another self promotion by the Op

•••
yes .com alone does not make a great domain but extensions other than .com don't sell well even with good names on the left side of the dot. Another problem is that if you have a domain other than .com, .net and .org, ccTLDs many will not understand your URL.

That leaves you with little options in practice.

Some domainers think because they are familiar with nGTLDs and understand them, everyone else will understand them too. This is not the case.
It's going to take more that rigorous marketing,for the new TLD's to even get a trifle of '.com's' appeal,since the latter has been deeply ingrained with the essence of internet through time.

Of course we all realise this thread is just another self promotion by the Op
Isn't everything we say,every statement we make & every opinion we share,some kind of self-promotion?

•••
yeah, the original poster is into .top

isn't that a gtld?

Cheers
Corey

•••
most humans are resistant to Change
Yes - but new gTLDs are primarily made for new generations = for new domains.
So not much to change.
But to create.

Last edited:
•••
•••
The problem is that most domainers are unfamiliar with new gTLDs and the dynamics that drive them. They apply .com rules to these new gTLDs expecting valuable .com keywords to be just as valuable in these new gTLDs. That is an expensive lesson that has been learned by a lot of people with .EU, .MOBI, .ASIA, .TEL, .CO etc.

Like all newly launched TLDs where no real resale market has been created (the first year or so of each newly launched TLD is abnormal in terms of domain sales as wishful thinking tends to swamp logic) the true value of such keyword domains doesn't really emerge until at least three years after launch.

There is still a lot of groundless optimism and wishful thinking with some of thew new gTLDs. The problem is that very few of them are actually generic TLDs and are closer to being pseudo-ccTLD or niche TLDs.

As for .TOP, I am not so sure that it can break out of the Chinese market as it is an overwhelmingly Chinese market dominated gTLD. I ran a full new gTLD website usage and development survey on approximately 17.214 million domains in June 2016. Of the .TOP domains, 32.94% had responding websites. The Active/unclassified percentage is the most important percentage in these surveys as it excludes the PPC/Sales/holding pages etc. The .TOP Active/unclassified percentage was 11.10%. Only 2.09% of that was on hosters outside the China/Hong Kong/Tawiwan market. It does seem to be turning into a Chinese gTLD rather than a traditional global gTLD.

Regards...jmcc

•••
The problem is that most domainers are unfamiliar with new gTLDs and the dynamics that drive them. They apply .com rules to these new gTLDs expecting valuable .com keywords to be just as valuable in these new gTLDs. That is an expensive lesson that has been learned by a lot of people with .EU, .MOBI, .ASIA, .TEL, .CO etc.

Like all newly launched TLDs where no real resale market has been created (the first year or so of each newly launched TLD is abnormal in terms of domain sales as wishful thinking tends to swamp logic) the true value of such keyword domains doesn't really emerge until at least three years after launch.

There is still a lot of groundless optimism and wishful thinking with some of thew new gTLDs. The problem is that very few of them are actually generic TLDs and are closer to being pseudo-ccTLD or niche TLDs.

As for .TOP, I am not so sure that it can break out of the Chinese market as it is an overwhelmingly Chinese market dominated gTLD. I ran a full new gTLD website usage and development survey on approximately 17.214 million domains in June 2016. Of the .TOP domains, 32.94% had responding websites. The Active/unclassified percentage is the most important percentage in these surveys as it excludes the PPC/Sales/holding pages etc. The .TOP Active/unclassified percentage was 11.10%. Only 2.09% of that was on hosters outside the China/Hong Kong/Tawiwan market. It does seem to be turning into a Chinese gTLD rather than a traditional global gTLD.

Regards...jmcc
Thx for your statements.
Against your arguments I really believe that .top will break out from China - just a matter of time (which is relative).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back