IT.COM

Dotology not accepting new customers?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Allysin

Established Member
Impact
I was going to sign up for Dotology and transfer 1 domain over there to begin with but when I clicked on SIGN UP - a page loaded with the following message as can be seen here:

https://dotology.com/account/signup

Whoops! We're all full right now

We aren't accepting any new signups, please check back.

Is this some kind of a joke? I didn't find them on the ICANN List of Accredited Registrars. Are they resellers? Have they gone out of business?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Their company info link is in the footer:
Dotology is an independent and privately held ICANN accredited registrar (under DOT Holding, Inc.)
..where they also openly admit that they employ gingers, which for me would be a warning sign.

How many registrars do you use?

•••
Maintenance maybe, its listed on icann Accredited
dotology.JPG

..where they also openly admit that they employ gingers, which for me would be a warning sign.

Hey.. whats wrong with gingers? Atleast they dont have blonde.
oh, wait..

•••

Who is a ginger?

I use a lot of registrars (based on price) because I have over 500 domains and I have only sold 3 in my entire life and the ever rising costs of renewals is killing me really! :xf.cry:

I did send Dotology a message and they replied with the following:

Currently we aren't accepting any new customer applications.

That said, I'd be happy to review you application. How many domains do you plan on transferring to Dotology? What is the breakdown in terms of TLD? How many domains do you plan on registering?

I replied honestly - that I have over 500 domains but that I wanted to transfer just 1 domain over to begin with and haven't heard back from them as of yet.

•••
Listen to me, i see you really like to pushing yourself. I mean. why you so obsessed with them? do they offering $1 transfer? because i can't see the offer. You've got to let this go. There are dozen registrar to choose.

Bonus for you:

prb.jpg

•••
Spaceship has $7.80 transfers...

•••
When I started I opened accounts at a number of different registrars, but I only use two of them; NameSilo, because they (did) have among the lowest prices generally, and Fasthosts for just a few of my earlier .coms and any .co.uk (which NameSilo don't do). Any names I buy I transfer in to NameSilo. I find it easy this way. Even with only about 50 names I don't have the brain power to be keeping track of them at too many registrars.

•••
Listen to me, i see you really like to pushing yourself. I mean. why you so obsessed with them? do they offering $1 transfer? because i can't see the offer. You've got to let this go. There are dozen registrar to choose.

Bonus for you:

Show attachment 253486
I have some more exotic TLDs and there often is a big price difference for those with different registrars.

As an example:

.host - it seems you might be able to get the .host TLD at DDD.com and HostGator for around $20 while all the other (mainstream) registrars charge charge starting at $67.26.

The only drawback as @cooljub has rightly pointed out is - it takes a lot of effort and time to manage this. That is also a reason why I run into so many troubles -> because different registrars have different bugs or procedural problems and I just tend to discover them! I should really be a paid QA tester/consultant! :ROFL: And I honestly only post articles about a fraction of the problems I run into. Right now, I'm dealing with an on-going problem with Afternic where about 20 of my domains do not load their landing page and instead give an Error. Their way of solving this is saying: It loads on our side so buzz off! (which is not true - I had several people try at different locations/computers and they all get the Error instead of the landing page).

And just to explain my issue with this: 'We are not accepting any new customers.' policy from Dotology - I just don't understand the logic. It's like if I opened a Boutique on Oxford Street in London, paid very expensive rent and then put a sign in the window saying: 'Please do not come in - we are not interested in selling our clothes and we would really hate to make any profits!' Just as that Boutique has to pay expensive rent, so does a Registrar have to pay all of those fees and you would think they would work hard to make enough money to pay that and other bills and to turn a profit. 🤷‍♀️

•••
I have some more exotic TLDs and there often is a big price difference for those with different registrars.

As an example:

.host - it seems you might be able to get the .host TLD at DDD.com and HostGator for around $20 while all the other (mainstream) registrars charge charge starting at $67.26.

The only drawback as @cooljub has rightly pointed out is - it takes a lot of effort and time to manage this. That is also a reason why I run into so many troubles -> because different registrars have different bugs or procedural problems and I just tend to discover them! I should really be a paid QA tester/consultant! :ROFL: And I honestly only post articles about a fraction of the problems I run into. Right now, I'm dealing with an on-going problem with Afternic where about 20 of my domains do not load their landing page and instead give an Error. Their way of solving this is saying: It loads on our side so buzz off! (which is not true - I had several people try at different locations/computers and they all get the Error instead of the landing page).

And just to explain my issue with this: 'We are not accepting any new customers.' policy from Dotology - I just don't understand the logic. It's like if I opened a Boutique on Oxford Street in London, paid very expensive rent and then put a sign in the window saying: 'Please do not come in - we are not interested in selling our clothes and we would really hate to make any profits!' Just as that Boutique has to pay expensive rent, so does a Registrar have to pay all of those fees and you would think they would work hard to make enough money to pay that and other bills and to turn a profit. 🤷‍♀️

My immediate advice since you've only sold 3 names - is to ditch most of everything that isn't .com, unless it's a super premium single word. There is a reason you've only sold 3... .host et al, aren't what dreams are made of

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back