Dynadot

Dumb people that don't even know if they own the domain...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NameLlama

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
Someone had listed my domain on a marketplace with a low minimum offer. So instead of contacting the marketplace, this time I submitted the minimum offer.... They rejected my offer but still did not remove the listing :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
Why don't these marketplaces verify ownership....

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
but they do verify ownership...?

•••
•••
Might be listed on the market place by the previous owner

•••
Might be listed on the market place by the previous owner
Yep, some people have large portfolios, forget, are to lazy or pass away etc etc.

It happens, you need to contact the marketplace and provide ownership confirmation and it will then be sorted.

I had it happen a few weeks ago and reached out to the previous owner who kindly deleted his listing and was really good about it.

•••
Some of this is just sketchy brokers fishing for offers to approach you with.

•••
I've encountered it a number of times and it leads me to believe that perhaps a few percent of listings are no longer available. In almost all cases I believe it is simply a previous owner did not remove name when it expired. Domainers need to be more careful but I would have thought the marketplaces could do their own checks or at very least make it easy to report.
Bob

•••
I have a name listed by someone was thinking of putting in a massive offer and see if they try to buy it from me lol.

Last edited:
•••
I have a name listed by someone was thinking of putting in a massive offer and see if they try to buy it from me lol.

Do it. These guys are dicks.

•••
Someone had listed my domain on a marketplace with a low minimum offer. So instead of contacting the marketplace, this time I submitted the minimum offer.... They rejected my offer but still did not remove the listing :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
Why don't these marketplaces verify ownership....

Next time give him a large offer and when he realizes the domain is not his he may just contact you to make a quick purchase so he can sell it back to you. :xf.laugh::xf.laugh::xf.laugh:

•••
I don't think if that is possible because the registrar must verify ownership before you list any domain.Hope this helps.

•••
I've encountered it a number of times and it leads me to believe that perhaps a few percent of listings are no longer available. In almost all cases I believe it is simply a previous owner did not remove name when it expired. Domainers need to be more careful but I would have thought the marketplaces could do their own checks or at very least make it easy to report.
Bob
Aren't they charged fees to essentially update their own registry info? Or perhaps Im thinking a registrar incurs those fees?

•••
Aren't they charged fees to essentially update their own registry info? Or perhaps Im thinking a registrar incurs those fees?
Sorry I was unclear. No I mean someone has domain xz.x listed on Afternic or Undeveloped or Sedo. The domain expires they no longer are the owner. They don't bother or forget to take it off the marketplace. There is no cost to them. The marketplaces don't seem to catch it until a new owner points it out. It has happened (on different marketplaces) 3 times with different names I own, and my portfolio even now is just under 300 and was more like 140 a year ago, so it seems to me that at least based on personal experience it is pretty widespread (others have said the same). For example, if 1% of 14 million names listed are not really with those owners it is 140,000 names!
Bob

•••

You could have some fun with this. You counteroffer with a number that is bigger than your "pretend buyer" offer. Doofuses either try to get you-owner down or ask the "you-pretend buyer" for more. You conclude by saying you just got another offer/buyer for much more and is good for only 24hrs. You-buyer goes silent...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back