Dynadot

Ebay auctions?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

undream2

Account Suspended
Impact
Hi,

has anyone ever listed a domain auction on ebay??

I was wondering, if people paid more on ebay.. Since, people on ebay pay for some odd things, for way to much..

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As you've said, eBay is well... unique. :)

While I haven't done any scientific calculations on the matter, I'd guess (from what I've seen) that poor quality domains have better odds of being bid up to ridiculous amounts on eBay than elsewhere. For quality domains, you're best off going with an established domain name forum or marketplace.

undream2 said:
Hi,

has anyone ever listed a domain auction on ebay??

I was wondering, if people paid more on ebay.. Since, people on ebay pay for some odd things, for way to much..

•••
I personally stay away from ebay.
Maybe you'd have better luck if you said the domain was haunted or something LOL!!

:ghost:

:lol:

•••
I watch ebay occasionally, it's 85% crap domains that people are trying to dump before expiration.

Then there's about 10% of the auctions that are naive newbies with $$ in their eyes thinking they'll get rich off some mediocre-at-best-reg-fee-at-worst domain name (1-pizza.com :P) .

4% are actually pretty good names but have ridiculous reserves or starting bids

and the remaining 1% are actually good names with no reserve and sane minimum bids. Often you can get a good deal on these because it seems like not many people wade through all of the crap every day to find them.

•••
In the past few months, I've sold about 100 "low-end" LLLL.com domains on eBay, getting prices from around $20 (back in November and December) up to $120.

But that was a very special niche market. I wouldn't expect much luck selling other types of domains on eBay.

One thing I like about selling on eBay is (usually) getting paid relatively quickly. Some other venues such as TDNAM typically will have the seller wait up to 30 days before receiving payment.

•••
Good domains on ebay are extremely rare. However, when one does come open they go for good prices. Some recent examples are LLLL.com like BOSO.com for $5000+, QUIT.org sold for over $16K. There are so few good domains on there when one comes up there can be a bidding war.

•••
Like was mentioned, Ebay could be good to get good prices for domains that would normally be worth less to other domainer's since you are dealing more with the general public. I'm keen to try some luck over there soon but I will wait for some special offers (low insertion fee etc).

•••
I put a few expiring domains I didn't want up there as an experiment and to learn their system. Some of them sold for 99cents and then some fees came out of that which didn't leave much lol. By fluke I also earned some affiliate commissions on the sales which were more then the fees. I plan on giving it another go with better ads and slightly better domains.

•••
rudyhernandez said:
I personally stay away from ebay.
Maybe you'd have better luck if you said the domain was haunted or something LOL!!

:ghost:

:lol:

LOL, this reminds me... Last night, I looked through the domains there.. And, seen someone's title J dot COM.. Haha,, it was cherokee meaning J. Which was some binary junk..

•••
I typically don't sell there, but did just sell t71.com for 1020 and ncaafan.com for 800 wrab.com and whaq.com for a combied total of 400.

Vet.net was bought for around 8 or 9k on ebay and flipped at traffic for at least triple??? within a short time.

I just bought a one word .com there.

If you feel like pulling on your waders, there are some great buys hidden within the muck.

•••
I've sold a few domains on Ebay that I think elsewhere would not have gotton as much for bids..

Seems that ebay is better for keyword names or phrases than acronyms/numbers or rare domains, IMO. Also it really helps if you notify potential end-users of the auction and give them a link. You have more luck getting a non domainer/web developer to bid on a name at ebay than you do at TDNAM or elsewhere, IMO. Just because most people are already a member of ebay.

•••
tight-aggressive said:
If you feel like pulling on your waders, there are some great buys hidden within the muck.

I posted about this awhile ago on my blog. I also installed a script which does a pretty good job of isolating the domain auctions that are seeing the most action. You can see it at the link below. For the sake of transparency, the links on the blog are affiliate links.

Ebay Auctions

-Bill

•••
I regged a name and sold it the same day for about $190 with 3 bidders.

Last edited:
•••
From my experience, ppl tend to put dirt-low bids in eBay, hoping to get a steal. I'd only list there if the domains were of little value.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back