Dynadot

news Emoji could soon take over domain names | CNET

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
The internet domain registrar and web hosting company is making it easier to search for and register available emoji-based domains. On Friday, the company launched a search engine for emoji domains. People can visit the site on their phones, type in a string of emoji and see if the domain is available.
As more of the world increasingly uses the internet on phones and other mobile devices, a flood of emoji-based domains seems inevitable. Heck, even the Touch Bar on Apple's new MacBook Pro will let you type in emoji, something that's difficult to do with a traditional computer keyboard...
emoji.png

Read More on CNET and DomainSuccess

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I guess the questions are:
1) How many emoji possibilities are there that can be registered?
2) How many are on a phone/tablet by default?

•••
I guess the questions are:
1) How many emoji possibilities are there that can be registered?
2) How many are on a phone/tablet by default?

Yeah thats pretty much it....but I think (I have no clue for sure) new emoji's are added and created often? So that would present new opportunities to grab single character emoji domains.

•••
Yeah thats pretty much it....but I think (I have no clue for sure) new emoji's are added and created often? So that would present new opportunities to grab single character emoji domains.
After Googling it, "there are as many as 1,851 emoji characters supported by current platforms, up to and including Unicode 9.0."

•••
After Googling it, "there are as many as 1,851 emoji characters supported by current platforms, up to and including Unicode 9.0."

NICE!!... :)

•••
Emojis are doomed for failure.
Yeah, same old song and dance since 2001. Bet people will be saying the same thing about new gTLDs 20 years from now.

•••
Well, just for fun I checked xn--l-k82ssd ( deadpool emoji ) and it's taken in all available extensions according to GoDaddy.

•••
They are nothing new. Gadgets. Worse than IDNs. If you can't use a keyboard to reliably 'type' (and reach) these domains, then their potential is severely limited.
Reminds me of the guy selling £.com. At least the Pound is present on most keyboards but in 20 years the name will still be for sale because it's nothing more than vanity.

•••
I registered IMG_4590.JPG to help promote my photography in a fun & visual way!
I do believe that sometimes thinking outside the box to promote a brand or service is the way to go!

Last edited:
•••
I registered Show attachment 42285 to help promote my photography in a fun & visual way!
I do believe that sometimes thinking outside the box to promote a brand or service is the way to go!
It was available? I thought Coke got most of the smiles.

•••
They are nothing new. Gadgets. Worse than IDNs. If you can't use a keyboard to reliably 'type' (and reach) these domains, then their potential is severely limited.
Reminds me of the guy selling £.com. At least the Pound is present on most keyboards but in 20 years the name will still be for sale because it's nothing more than vanity.
Vanity is a big industry..

•••
I believe Coke did register most, if not all the emoji smiley domains as part of their campaign strategy!
I was fortunate to pick up the smiley they used as part of their emoticoke happiness segment.

IMG_4604.JPG

•••
I registered Show attachment 42285 to help promote my photography in a fun & visual way!
Perfect! That's the way it should be for these kind of domains.
Have you gotten any sort of feedback from users on this, or noticed any difference in traffic to your site by way of emoji clicks?

•••
•••
•••
•••
I picked up ♦. I think I may either
1) setup a free poker gaming site (if I can find a free one)
2) use it as an affiliate push to a poker site and hope I can make a little money.

What do you think?

•••
Perfect! That's the way it should be for these kind of domains.
Have you gotten any sort of feedback from users on this, or noticed any difference in traffic to your site by way of emoji clicks?
I do get feedback from others, they think it's a pretty cool use of a domain. I do tweet my URL link from time to time.
I'm not sure about the traffic that it receives. I cant imagine be it being many- as most don't even know this can even be done!

•••
I picked up ♦. I think I may either
1) setup a free poker gaming site (if I can find a free one)
2) use it as an affiliate push to a poker site and hope I can make a little money.

What do you think?
I looked up all the single emoji available back last year ♦ was one of the cool ones and the java icon was available too. there were a bunch still, actually. now probably none, but i don't like em. Yall know there is a .ws thread?

•••
While we are on the topic of emoji, I also own the smirk emoji!
Last year I set this up for a bit of fun.
For those who wish to know the link it's:
http://xn--t28h.ws/ or IMG_4617.JPG
Let me know what you think IMG_4617.JPG

•••
The original emoji smile face was for sale on Flippa last week for something like close to 1 Million
Crazy, tried to look for it but it's gone....It says contact Broker

•••
Well, that was odd. 2 days ago, I attempted to register an emoji. It finally successfully registered yesterday (or this morning). This evening, I received an email from GoDaddy stating that it was placed in my account by mistake and they gave me $25 credit. I had already changed the nameservers on it too. Luckily I didn't start on a website at all.
I actually don't mind this because I wasn't sure I wanted it anyway...it was too confusing with another, more well-known emoji.

Update: rereading the email, they are also refunding my original money.

Last edited:
•••
Their going to start going premium...lol

•••
I wish IDN's would go premium

•••
coincidentally. I had Google Keyword planner open on my phone in my back pocket. I butt dialed some emoji's into keyword planner. and could you believe whatever emoji's I put in? had 368,000 searches? I forget which it was now. can people search emoji's on google? if so I can see the potential for emoji domains.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back