Domain Empire

question How do end users find names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I can see Sedo has search functionality. So as an example, let's say an architectural company wants to find a name with architect in it. They can go to Sedo search and search for domains with that term. Whether they know of Sedo is another issue - but at least it exists. https://sedo.com/search/?language=us&keyword=architect

On Dan/Afternic/GoDaddy - is there any way for an end user to search for names with a keyword? The only search functionality I can find on GD is to type a keyword; e.g., "architect" and it shows TLDs with that specific keyword. But it doesn't show coolarchitect.com, hiparchitect.com, etc, like it does on Sedo. Is there any way for end users to search terms with a keyword in them (like on Sedo)?

Or do they have to come up with the names on their own and type them in?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My position is based on data and how to make money. I have no concerns about creating a beautiful utopia where random brandables can be found, beyond what already exists. If you do by all means go for it.

Your "data" is missing many sales then. Because 4 & 5L sales are good business. I'm not asking for utopia... just better search-ability offered by GD (who controls most of the aftermarket). Further, even within the segment we agree upon, it would still help that segment to sell faster as well.

Anyway, no need to go round and round. I was just wondering if I was missing something (whether there was a way for end users to easily find names). It appears there is not (beyond Atom, BB, and Sedo search). Obviously I must work within what exists, not what I'd like to exist.

•••
Anyway, no need to go round and round. I was just wondering if I was missing something (whether there was a way for end users to easily find names). It appears there is not (beyond Atom, BB, and Sedo search). Obviously I must work within what exists, not what I'd like to exist.
Domainers are not silent sheep. We will not be silent. We have the right to demand from GD to return an intuitive search at Afternic, because this site has most sales.

•••
Would you be willing to give GD a 25 percent commission if they introduce a great aftermarket search experience? I bet they are thinking about it, and actually were already thinking about it when they nixed the AN search.

Last edited:
•••
Would you be willing to give GD a 25 percent commission, if they introduce a great aftermarket search experience? I bet they are thinking about it right now.
Yes of course. This comission don't amaze me. I sell domains at Atom :0) I do not need a commission of 10-15% if no one sees my domains. I will prefer a marketplace where there is a good search, which will be convenient for customers and sellers

•••
Yes of course. This comission don't amaze me. I sell domains at Atom :0) I do not need a commission of 10-15% if no one sees my domains. I will prefer a marketplace where there is a good search, which will be convenient for customers and sellers

Agreed. I already pay 30% commission at BB and Atom. I pay extra because they get me sales I otherwise wouldn't get. If GD had something similar, I see no reason I wouldn't pay a higher commission for a subset of my names that otherwise would have trouble getting noticed

•••
similar to Sedo (which most people don't know of)
Hi

how many is "most people"?

cuz, i've been using them since 2004.

imo...

•••
Hi

how many is "most people"?

cuz, i've been using them since 2004.

imo...

fair point. I just assume most end-users don't know to use them to search for domains they want to buy. I would expect among the domaining industry they would be more well known. Of course, I could be wrong

•••
I just assume most end-users don't know to use them
Hi

i could point to some of my past sales there, which are being "end used" and no doubt many other sellers could do so as well.
ie: hdc/net > upyo/com

suggest you follow the money on the sales to see what is done with the domain, after the transaction.

imo...

•••
•••
GD did not just remove the domain search at Afternic. It slowly kills this useful rnarketplace. I decided to check the domain Evoke.co listed at Afternic, and GD search gives all TLDs except for this domain. By the way, it costs $ 125,000! It’s just terrible - a beautiful domain registered by Godaddy itself, ain't visible at market in the search by the word! Bravo!

PS Open Godaddy.com and type Evoke.
You'll never find Evoke.co
GD search really sucks!

Last edited:
•••
GD did not just remove the domain search at Afternic. It slowly kills this useful rnarketplace. I decided to check the domain Evoke.co listed at Afternic, and GD search gives all TLDs except for this domain. By the way, it costs $ 125,000! It’s just terrible - a beautiful domain registered by Godaddy itself, ain't visible at market in the search by the word! Bravo!

PS Open Godaddy.com and type Evoke.
You'll never find Evoke.co
GD search really sucks!

Maybe they’re just filtering out insane domain prices that 99.999% of people searching for evoke are never going to buy.

If they want evoke.co they can type it in and it pops right up.

•••
Maybe they’re just filtering out insane domain prices that 99.999% of people searching for evoke are never going to buy.

If they want evoke.co they can type it in and it pops right up.
No my friend it ain;t so. They show evoke.net for $50,000
and other TLDs. This is a big bug.
Now I checked other dictionary domains f.e. Cigar.co for $24,888
And when I type Cigar in search .... drum roll... I see many nice domains but no cigar.co. Wonder that I found cigarbar.co but no that I really did not find that I typed. If I write to all domain dot CO owners that their domains cannot be found at Godaddy/Afternic, I think they will decide to list their domains in another marketplaces. If GD will not fix this great bug of course.

However, it is impossible write to every domainer, I hope this info will be placed on a well -known domain blog, so that thousands of domainers will get acquainted with it. I am responsible for my words. Everyone can check that I am telling the truth. If we are silent, GD will not do anything

Last edited:
•••
Domainers manage to search terms while end users do not. End users that mean business (looking to build a brand) want and need a name, not a flat and square literal description. The ones that have already built one or settled for one need the exact match in dotcom.

That is where the majority of financial means are, brand identity. No argument. And there is no reason not to believe that this definition of the market dwarfs the current search keyword-geared and limited aftermarket.

Within the aftermarket apparatus at large, the kind of intelligent search required to adequately enough incorporate "targeted imagination" does not exist. Atom have been trying to create something, but from my perspective, generative AI seems to come up short. The registrar "attempts" are merely laughable.

A hellbent unrelenting visionary is required. Few and far between anywhere, but even more so in domains. Complacency and backwardness rules supreme.

TM pundits have argued that depletion and congestion are not threats for a long time still. But the growth of the value of a brand is the strongest upward tendency on the planet. And brand name identities are not random. They have centers of gravity. No one would pick "SOPRGH".

Niches and hypes come and go, but possessing the mental infrastructure of a functional brand identity will only increase in value. With domains the technical infrastructure of the internet also comes into play. It's an incredible combínation of infrastructures. You need both, you can't compromise and expect to win.

I just wonder how old I'm going to have to grow before reality dawns on the domain industry and someone comes along with the game changer, which has to revolve around search for new identities to embody, as well as efficiently empowering acquisitions of more "taken" identities held by smaller fry than the best buyer.

I guess then they will be acquired by Godaddy and mothballed and exterminated.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back