domains ENS partners with GoDaddy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact

GoDaddy has partnered with ENS Domains, I believe these partnerships between registrars and ensdomains will become more commonplace as time goes by.EnsDomains published a blog post that goes into greater detail. Once it is configured, the domain name can be used in place of an Ethereum address in a range of web3 applications including wallets, block explorers, NFT marketplaces, etcIf you … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Seems like big news. Congrats to GoDaddy and to ENS.

While .xyz was integrated with ENS in 2018, and most other ICANN TLDs could be used since late 2021, at least those with DNSSEC enabled, this makes the process of linking wallets and domains much easier for GD customers, as I understand it.

Good news it seems for GoDaddy, ENS and for clients interested in crypto and decentralized web applications such as smart contracts.

Thanks for sharing the news, @equity78 ! I went to see if someone had posted, and already you had!

-Bob

•••
Seems like big news. Congrats to GoDaddy and to ENS.

While .xyz was integrated with ENS in 2018, and most other ICANN TLDs could be used since late 2021, at least those with DNSSEC enabled, this makes the process of linking wallets and domains much easier for GD customers, as I understand it.

Good news it seems for GoDaddy, ENS and for clients interested in crypto and decentralized web applications such as smart contracts.

Thanks for sharing the news, @equity78 ! I went to see if someone had posted, and already you had!

-Bob
I agree Bob, I wonder how long before other big registrars go out and make the same deal?

•••
ENS are doing a Twitter space session with @Paul Nicks on Wednesday to provide more information. Here is link.

Also, for those who are ICA members, Paul Nicks is doing a webinar for members on the topic "this week." I don't know the details.

-Bob

•••
Seems like a glorified version of what already exists with many registrars.

•••
This partnership will grow a new keyword as well

“gasless”

Gasless DNSSEC

i’m quite excited how it will grow, and what other registrar react with. Big kudos to Godaddy. I’m also curious for the growth of Gasless Domains.

•••
•••
Hmm i expect most users of .com to be businesses and most are not taking any form of crypto payment.

This is more for the firstname/lastname users of domains or for new entrants that wants a .com to also act as their wallet name.

I think that is generally a small user base compared to .coms for business. So impact should be quite small in the near term.

The main thing I see is much more awareness ENS will garner given how Prominent GoDaddy is promoting ENS in their DNS Manager.

The daily new .eth users metric will be interesting to track
https://dune.com/ethereumnameservice/ens-daily

•••
Even bigger news will be when it happens the other way round, web3 domains getting resolved on web 2 commonly used browsers like chrome and edge. Currently web 3 domains can build websites that can be opened only on browsers like Opera and Brave.

•••
AFAIK, you do not need a registrar service to set this. Basically you need to be familiar with DNS and, in particular, DNSSEC - and you can set all the stuff for your .com (or any other common tld) yourself. The domain can be regged anywhere. Registrar intergration just simplifies the process. GoDaddy was not the 1st to offer this integration. EasyDNS registrar offers it for quite some time:
https://kb.easydns.com/knowledge/ethereum-name-service-ens-integration/

In a number of usage scenarios, it makes sense to set it in both directions: somedomain.com links to ETH address, and, at the same time, ETH address links to somedomain.com . Unfortunately, in order to set the latter ("Reverse Registrar"), you will have to use metamask crypto wallet only [importing the seed phrase to metamask]. It is not good, because metamask has privacy issues, and should therefore be avoided:
https://medium.com/coinmonks/metama...do-this-to-avoid-getting-tracked-231d5265a0a5

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back