NameSilo

Flippa domain catalogue

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Wondering if many others have had luck selling domains through the flippa domain catalogue.

I have had a total of 4 sales now directly through the service.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've sold a couple, small sales though. Turned down a couple $xxx offers too. It's a domainers market so you'll mostly get lowballed on some of your best stuff.

•••
yes i agree, i have had a couple high $xxx sales and one low $x,xxx sale.

•••
I just got an offer through on Flippa for one of my VR domains xxx pretty good service. So it shows it's working nicely. Good luck on your domains.

•••
2 sales and 1 non payer :( both low to mid $xxx

•••

Sorry about the deadbeat. We're working on ways to better-counteract this. I'd actually like to open up this discussion in a new thread about the things that we (Flippa) and other marketplaces do / don't do / should do when it comes to buyers, and the safeguards we can implement to ensure sellers never have to deal with this. Yes, a tall order -- no one's gotten it 100% right....yet. Still, curious and interested to have this dialogue and gather feedback...

•••
Really great to hear all this feedback. Please keep it coming.

As per usual, anything you wish to be improved or removed, we're all ears...

•••
Hey guys, kindly let me know, is there any additional traffic to the $9 auction listing that perhaps makes it better than the catalogue listing on flippa?
Thanks.
Regards,
Josh.

•••
one thing i would like to see is a hits/visitors counter for our listed domains just for my own piece of mind so i can judge who is viewing what categories/niche's

Hey guys, kindly let me know, is there any additional traffic to the $9 auction listing that perhaps makes it better than the catalogue listing on flippa?
Thanks.
Regards,
Josh.

@Joshdns if you appraise 15 or more domains in the appraisals section you can qualify for 1 free listing per week ;)

•••
Essentially the most daunting thing for most sellers is non-payers. Perhaps non-payers should have their accounts suspended. Other marketplaces have no tolerance for this activity, if someone does not pay for a name then their account is suspended and to reinstate they need to finalize payment and pay a penalty fee. Also could make it mandatory for credit cards or push payment automatically upon agreeing to a sale price.

Sorry about the deadbeat. We're working on ways to better-counteract this. I'd actually like to open up this discussion in a new thread about the things that we (Flippa) and other marketplaces do / don't do / should do when it comes to buyers, and the safeguards we can implement to ensure sellers never have to deal with this. Yes, a tall order -- no one's gotten it 100% right....yet. Still, curious and interested to have this dialogue and gather feedback...

•••
Thanks.
Regards,
Josh.

Hey Josh ~ Great question.

Auctions most definitely get more visibility; that said, if someone is searching for something in particular, no matter how it is listed in the marketplace, it will be found without favoritism. Meaning, a buyer will find something of yours if s/he is searching for it -- but the best way to make sure a domain you are selling gets the most eyeballs (via those buyers just browsing) is to launch an auction.

•••
I agree with britttina about the hits counter for catalogued domains.

I also believe there would be more conversions if flippa brought back subtitles to non-premium listings, as well as catalogue listings. Auctions can stick with descriptions. :)

•••
Essentially the most daunting thing for most sellers is non-payers. Perhaps non-payers should have their accounts suspended. Other marketplaces have no tolerance for this activity, if someone does not pay for a name then their account is suspended and to reinstate they need to finalize payment and pay a penalty fee. Also could make it mandatory for credit cards or push payment automatically upon agreeing to a sale price.

For the most part, this does happen. We tend to ban non-paying bidders, out the gate. I'm in favor of this, personally.

Another idea I've wondered about is whether something should be considered sold if still unpaid; what if everyone had to wait for Escrow to begin and/or finalize before the domain was officially sold?

•••
Most brandable domain sales are all about timing. You can run an auction listing and get no bites or sit and wait until someone looking for a domain in your niche finds your name. I say this because i have experienced it first hand, two of the names i sold were listed in auction with a $10 starting price, no bids were received, then a couple months later someone looking for an EMD found my listing in the catalogue and sale was made.

•••
For the most part, this does happen. We tend to ban non-paying bidders, out the gate. I'm in favor of this, personally.

Another idea I've wondered about is whether something should be considered sold if still unpaid; what if everyone had to wait for Escrow to begin and/or finalize before the domain was officially sold?

I see your point, however having the payment/escrow immediately and automatically doesn't leave the buyer with the opportunity to change their mind.

•••
I agree with britttina about the hits counter for catalogued domains.

I also think it would there would be more conversions if flippa brought back subtitles to non-premium listings, as well as catalogue listings. Descriptions can stick with auctions. :)

Great feedback; thanks, Tom.

We do have plans to help sellers keep track of the domains in their Portfolio that are being eyeballed the most, which would make for even more of a reason to convert them into an auction (and notify all interested parties; that could create all sorts of activity and bidding wars...)

Regarding subtitles -- that's interesting that you guys are in favor. We tend to receive feedback about how cluttered the page is, with all the subtitles / summaries; and how much easier it would be if you could just scan through the domain *name* itself (and fit more on a page, etc etc).

Let's keep discussing...

•••
Lastly, which I think seems quite obvious, why not a category specifically for Bulk domain auctions/bulk catalogue listings. Especially now since there's no subtitles, there's no way to let people know other domains are included in standard listings.

•••
if anything having automatic payments would at least weed out many non-payers, i would rather not receive an offer at all than think i made a sale and have someone not pay, in the last 3 months this has happend to me 4 times, is a real p*** off and could be damaging to the reputation of a marketplace if it happens too often.

•••

To quote my self i have made a mistake....... i have only had the one sale it was at the same time that i sold 2 others on a different platform sorry for the confusion , but i was correct the buyer was a non payer :(

I also believe there would be more conversions if flippa brought back subtitles to non-premium listings, as well as catalogue listings. Auctions can stick with descriptions. :)

Deffo agree about the subtitles

•••
[USER=959629 said:
@Joshdns[/USER] if you appraise 15 or more domains in the appraisals section you can qualify for 1 free listing per week ;)

Per widespread abuse of the appraisals tool, we'll soon be removing this incentive to appraise.

While a free credit is a risk-free way to bring a domain (or Portfolio listing) to auction, it's also a surefire way to get a lots of members leaving shoddy appraisals ...just so they can recoup a listing credit.

This wouldn't be the right thread to discuss (see: https://www.namepros.com/threads/flippa-domain-appraisals.839273/) -- but we believe the tool is useful overall (we hear positive feedback from many). We're working on making it better...

•••
if anything having automatic payments would at least weed out many non-payers, i would rather not receive an offer at all than think i made a sale and have someone not pay, in the last 3 months this has happend to me 4 times, is a real p*** off and could be damaging to the reputation of a marketplace if it happens too often.

I'd be pissed, too.

Thanks for sticking with it -- we'll work on making these improvements, and I agree that having new bidders sign-up for auto-payment could be a way to weed-out the sketchy ones. Will let you know how we're tracking on this in the new year...

•••
Yeah, the appraisals I see are ridiculous. It's obvious the majority appraise with anything just to get their 15 in for the credit. Maybe your coder should block out ".................." - A lot of people are using this to inflate the character count so their appraisal goes through.

"BuyGoodNewBooks.biz? $10,000 great name!..........................................Good luck"

•••
Per widespread abuse of the appraisals tool, we'll soon be removing this incentive to appraise.

While a free credit is a risk-free way to bring a domain (or Portfolio listing) to auction, it's also a surefire way to get a lots of members leaving shoddy appraisals ...just so they can recoup a listing credit.

This wouldn't be the right thread to discuss (see: https://www.namepros.com/threads/flippa-domain-appraisals.839273/) -- but we believe the tool is useful overall (we hear positive feedback from many). We're working on making it better...

AGREED... as a test i ran an appraisal for a domain which imo had no value over $xxx, the appraisal finished with a median of high $xx,xxx, removing the appraisal bonus is a good idea imo.

•••
Lastly, which I think seems quite obvious, why not a category specifically for Bulk domain auctions/bulk catalogue listings. Especially now since there's no subtitles, there's no way to let people know other domains are included in standard listings.

This absolutely will happen. At the very least, instead of having to list a "Domain.Extension" in the title, we could just have a portfolio sale be listed as "This is a portfolio of 215+ domains..." etc etc

•••
I see your point, however having the payment/escrow immediately and automatically doesn't leave the buyer with the opportunity to change their mind.

I don't really care if i buy something on fleabay i have committed to a sale and i would like to see something in place to weed out the non payers and fakers...

I couldn't agree more there are hundreds of appraisals with the same thing being said over and over again and then there are others that actually take the time to really appraise others domains in a constructive way

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back