IT.COM

FranskiJewelry.com - Online Jewelry Store

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LoneDeranger

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys,

I have been working on an e-commerce site - online store ("botique" style) jewelry shop.
The story behind this website refers to my mother, who found her passion in the age of 53 - Crafting jewels..
Well, I came up with this idea of building this store and I hope it'll eventually pay-off for her, So she can start working in a thing she fall inlove with instead of working in her regular job..

Some "technical" stuff:
Made with a Wordpress platform and a licensed theme. Hosted on "InMotion" - Very satisfied with them so far, hopes everything will work well. I only have the basic of programming, But I certainly don't have any experience dealing with SEO.. So any tips on that particular subject will be more than welcomed.

PLEASE note me everything you fill satisfied or unsatisfied with.

Important questions for me:
- How is the shop responding?
- How's the UI on tablets and phones?
- How's the standart of the website in general?
- Is the content seems appealing to you?

- In general, i'd greatly appreciate any tips for the future - what to focus on after officially launching the website etc..

http://www.franskijewelry.com/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
If that screen where they enter their billing details isn't secure, expect abandoned carts.

You're using PayPal, get any relevant badges (like the paypal + credit card logos, paypal verified, etc.) and display them prominently. Like right where they choose the payment method. It's a trust factor. Use a bright colored logo, not a gray one.

This is jewelry she makes? Get testimonials from previous customers / recipients and sprinkle them in strategic parts of the site.

Use more direct language in your copy - people don't like to read through stuff like this:

Franski Jewelrys website has it’s own unique way of work.
If you found one of our models appealing, yet you feel uncomfortable with the color, size, clasp etc. – you can use our “Customizer Assistant” – A form which helps you personalize the model you wish to change to fit your wishes.

How about:
We can customize any piece to suit your needs or taste. Don't like the color or clasp? Want a different size? Just use our Customizer Assistant to configure any item exactly the way you want it!

I would put more about your mom on the about page too. Would she let you use a photo? Maybe a picture of her at work making a piece of jewelry?

SEO tips - You don't really have much there to critique yet but ...
1) Content- you'll need more content overall and more content on your pages. Write richer descriptions of your products - look at other jewelry sites for inspiration. Make your visitor want to buy it. Consider adding a blog. If you will have category pages, make your category pages rich and compelling.

2) Page titles - ack!!!! "Welcome" is a waste of space, as is "Product Archive" on your products page. Something better for your home page:
Franski Jewelry | Handcrafted Beaded Fashion Jewelry Customized for You

Products should have more descriptive titles too:
Demure - Handcrafted Swaroski Crystal Necklace in Pink and Blue

(I didn't count characters, but keep titles to < 65 or so.)

Oh - and don't put the store name first on titles other than maybe the home page. Put it last. You have a unique brand, you'll have no problem ranking for your brand b. Titles should include keywords that uniquely describe the page content in a visitor-friendly, readable format. That part needs to go first.

2) Description Metas - not used for search, but influence click through. Set these, Google usually does a crap job of generating them. Should uniquely describe the page, but also make these your sales pitch - express your value proposition, include a call to action. Keywords aren't necessary since they're not used for indexing.
Keep them < around 155 characters or they will be truncated.

Sample Home page description:
Unique, handcrafted fashion jewelry by designer {what's your Mom's name???}. We use top-quality Swarowski crystal, and can customize any item for you. Browse our collection now!

Get Yoast or one of the other SEO plugins so you can set titles and descriptions..

3) URL's - see my notes on the image below.
franski.jpg

4) Make sure your on-site search results don't get indexed. Search results pages should be noindexed.

5) Double check spelling / grammar. It's a quality signal.

6) You need links, but avoid building crappy ones ;).

7) If you decide to use HTTPS - Don't let your pages resolve to both https and http, it's duplicate content. Permanently redirect or canonicalize the non-http versions to the https versions.

•••
If that screen where they enter their billing details isn't secure, expect abandoned carts.

You're using PayPal, get any relevant badges (like the paypal + credit card logos, paypal verified, etc.) and display them prominently. Like right where they choose the payment method. It's a trust factor. Use a bright colored logo, not a gray one.

This is jewelry she makes? Get testimonials from previous customers / recipients and sprinkle them in strategic parts of the site.

Use more direct language in your copy - people don't like to read through stuff like this:

How about:

I would put more about your mom on the about page too. Would she let you use a photo? Maybe a picture of her at work making a piece of jewelry?

SEO tips - You don't really have much there to critique yet but ...
1) Content- you'll need more content overall and more content on your pages. Write richer descriptions of your products - look at other jewelry sites for inspiration. Make your visitor want to buy it. Consider adding a blog. If you will have category pages, make your category pages rich and compelling.

2) Page titles - ack!!!! "Welcome" is a waste of space, as is "Product Archive" on your products page. Something better for your home page:
Franski Jewelry | Handcrafted Beaded Fashion Jewelry Customized for You

Products should have more descriptive titles too:
Demure - Handcrafted Swaroski Crystal Necklace in Pink and Blue

(I didn't count characters, but keep titles to < 65 or so.)

Oh - and don't put the store name first on titles other than maybe the home page. Put it last. You have a unique brand, you'll have no problem ranking for your brand
b. Titles should include keywords that uniquely describe the page content in a visitor-friendly, readable format. That part needs to go first.

2) Description Metas - not used for search, but influence click through. Set these, Google usually does a crap job of generating them. Should uniquely describe the page, but also make these your sales pitch - express your value proposition, include a call to action. Keywords aren't necessary since they're not used for indexing.
Keep them < around 155 characters or they will be truncated.

Sample Home page description:
Unique, handcrafted fashion jewelry by designer {what's your Mom's name???}. We use top-quality Swarowski crystal, and can customize any item for you. Browse our collection now!

Get Yoast or one of the other SEO plugins so you can set titles and descriptions..

3) URL's - see my notes on the image below.
Show attachment 15794

4) Make sure your on-site search results don't get indexed. Search results pages should be noindexed.

5) Double check spelling / grammar. It's a quality signal.

6) You need links, but avoid building crappy ones ;).

7) If you decide to use HTTPS - Don't let your pages resolve to both https and http, it's duplicate content. Permanently redirect or canonicalize the non-http versions to the https versions.
Hi!
I can't thank you enough for this helpful, detailed guide. Words cannot describe how thankful I am!
Anyhow, in the past 3 days I was working on your comments and improvements. But I still do have a couple of questions i'd like to make a bit clearer:

Did you mean SSL Certificate? or making it HTTPS?
It is not secured yet, my plan was to purchase a SSL certification. A friend of mine mentioned the other time that HTTPS is:
A. More secured than the usual HTTP.
B. CAN replace SSL.

I'd like to hear your opinion about it, and how should I operate when it comes to security.

This is jewelry she makes? Get testimonials from previous customers / recipients

Yes, she does make the jewelry. I have a review section with a "rate" option to each product uploaded to the site.

and sprinkle them in strategic parts of the site.

Where are those "strategic parts"? Is it okay to post them reviews in the product page?

Content- you'll need more content overall and more content on your pages. Write richer descriptions of your products - look at other jewelry sites for inspiration. Make your visitor want to buy it. Consider adding a blog. If you will have category pages, make your category pages rich and compelling.

I suggested my mom to start writing a blog about the way she made so far, tips for self-crafting, new ideas and new material she works with.. Is it what you mean? Oh Well, she pretty much refused to do such, but if it will increase dramatically the SEO rank than I might push her a bit harder. What's your thoughts?

Titles should include keywords that uniquely describe the page content in a visitor-friendly, readable format. That part needs to go first.

Can you explain a bit further? What titles? ALL titles? on the site or on google? what do you mean by "uniquely describe, in a vistior-friendly, readable format"?

what are those "on-site searches"? how do I know who are they and how do I reach them?

You need links, but avoid building crappy ones
Can you explain a bit further? What links? how do I build them and how do I avoid building crappy ones?

One last thing - In Yoast SEO i'm having trouble finding the relevant Focus Keywords for each page. How should I determine which are the most preferable keywords I should use, and do I need to use it in the product pages too?
-----

I once again thank you so much for your effort helping me improve my site!!!

•••
Hi!

Did you mean SSL Certificate? or making it HTTPS?
It is not secured yet, my plan was to purchase a SSL certification. A friend of mine mentioned the other time that HTTPS is:
A. More secured than the usual HTTP.
B. CAN replace SSL.

HTTPS is the protocol. It's the http protocol with encryption (SSL or TLS) layered on top of it. When you use HTTPS, you're sending traffic over an encrypted connection. As the webmaster, you install the certificate and use the HTTPS protocol to access your pages. Visitors see the little padlock in their browser, reassuring them that their data is being encrypted in transfer.

Where are those "strategic parts"? Is it okay to post them reviews in the product page?

Sure! Genuine testimonials are a powerful selling tool. Most of the internet doesn't know your Mom or her work, seeing that other people liked her jewelry and are happy with it will help convince them to buy. I wouldn't put every single testimonial in one place - just sprinkle short quotes around here and there.

I suggested my mom to start writing a blog about the way she made so far, tips for self-crafting, new ideas and new material she works with.. Is it what you mean? Oh Well, she pretty much refused to do such, but if it will increase dramatically the SEO rank than I might push her a bit harder. What's your thoughts?

It is a way to get more content ranked and pull in more visitors, but if she's not into it, better to not have one than to have a "dead" blog.

Can you explain a bit further? What titles? ALL titles? on the site or on google? what do you mean by "uniquely describe, in a vistior-friendly, readable format"?
The <title> tag in the header of your pages, which is used by Google as a ranking factor, and (usually) as the title of the search results "snippet".

<title> tags should always be unique to the page they are on (i.e. not the same on every page), it should pertain to the page it is on (for example, don't use keywords for "oranges" on a page about "apples") and, while you do want a primary keyword in it, you also want it to look good so people click on it, so don't just make it a string of keywords.

what are those "on-site searches"? how do I know who are they and how do I reach them?
Site search - the page of results from the search box in the upper right of your page.

Can you explain a bit further? What links? how do I build them and how do I avoid building crappy ones?
Avoid low-quality directories (ones that accept everything) and bookmarking sites (ones nobody's ever heard of), forum signature links, blog spam ... a few won't hurt you, a lot of them can get you slapped. Google hates links you built yourself. Of course everyone does it ;), but you have to be discreet.

Relevant, on-topic directories (fashion, jewelry, local) are OK.
Once you're up and running, reach out to fashion bloggers and see if you can get a review. Start small.
Donate a piece to a charity auction & let the press know about it
Any suppliers / other businesses she works with who have a "resorces" page on their sites? A Testimonials page?
Sponsor an organization or event. Many of them list sponsors on their site with a followed link back. It will cost you, but its a quick way to get a couple good links (and support a good cause besides!) Generally tax deductible too.

One last thing - In Yoast SEO i'm having trouble finding the relevant Focus Keywords for each page. How should I determine which are the most preferable keywords I should use, and do I need to use it in the product pages too?
Not really sure what that does - might just mean they aren't able to pinpoint what the page is about? Might need to rework your page content, make sure your primary keyword is in there once or twice.
I once again thank you so much for your effort helping me improve my site!!!
No problem, glad to help :)

•••
HTTPS is the protocol. It's the http protocol with encryption (SSL or TLS) layered on top of it. When you use HTTPS, you're sending traffic over an encrypted connection. As the webmaster, you install the certificate and use the HTTPS protocol to access your pages. Visitors see the little padlock in their browser, reassuring them that their data is being encrypted in transfer.

Sure! Genuine testimonials are a powerful selling tool. Most of the internet doesn't know your Mom or her work, seeing that other people liked her jewelry and are happy with it will help convince them to buy. I wouldn't put every single testimonial in one place - just sprinkle short quotes around here and there.

It is a way to get more content ranked and pull in more visitors, but if she's not into it, better to not have one than to have a "dead" blog.

The <title> tag in the header of your pages, which is used by Google as a ranking factor, and (usually) as the title of the search results "snippet".

<title> tags should always be unique to the page they are on (i.e. not the same on every page), it should pertain to the page it is on (for example, don't use keywords for "oranges" on a page about "apples") and, while you do want a primary keyword in it, you also want it to look good so people click on it, so don't just make it a string of keywords.

Site search - the page of results from the search box in the upper right of your page.

Avoid low-quality directories (ones that accept everything) and bookmarking sites (ones nobody's ever heard of), forum signature links, blog spam ... a few won't hurt you, a lot of them can get you slapped. Google hates links you built yourself. Of course everyone does it ;), but you have to be discreet.

Relevant, on-topic directories (fashion, jewelry, local) are OK.
Once you're up and running, reach out to fashion bloggers and see if you can get a review. Start small.
Donate a piece to a charity auction & let the press know about it
Any suppliers / other businesses she works with who have a "resorces" page on their sites? A Testimonials page?
Sponsor an organization or event. Many of them list sponsors on their site with a followed link back. It will cost you, but its a quick way to get a couple good links (and support a good cause besides!) Generally tax deductible too.

Not really sure what that does - might just mean they aren't able to pinpoint what the page is about? Might need to rework your page content, make sure your primary keyword is in there once or twice.

No problem, glad to help :)

We're getting into depths over here and I think I got a bit scared now haha.
I should dig SEO more deeply to fully understand your explanations, But I think i got the starting point..
I guess SEO takes time to be built, especially when competing such enormous companies. ("long tail keywords" might solve this issue?)

And thanks again, I'll improve every point you mentioned, and show you the final result! :)

•••
HTTPS and SSL/TLS is a webmaster thing, not really an seo issue. Just get a certificate and install it (your hosting support can help) an use https:// for your urls, your web server does the rest.
It gives you a minuscule advantage in search, but the real value is in promoting visitor trust - especially for an ecom site.
Good luck with it!

•••
- How bad is not having SSL security on my website, considering i'm an e-commerce website?
- It's not cost you much. you can buy cheapest comodo ssl if you want. It will give more +ve credits in buyers heart but if you are using paypal it won't help you functionally.

- How is the shop responding?
- It's Good.

- How's the UI on tablets and phones?
- It's responsive :)

- How's the standart of the website in general?
- 7.5 outof 10

1) Try some google fonts. It will look more beautiful.

2) Get some reviews (from friends) in sitejabber (you already added) and post the review banner in home page (footer)

3) Increase Inboud links (from faq page & blog post)

4) Add Social icons (addthis / sharethis )

5) Clients testimonials is added advantage (in homepage)

it's very nice to see smile from your mother's face. Goodluck for your success.

•••
Once again thank you for satisfying comments. I have improved almost 95% of the things you both mentioned. I have some troubling with the SSL installation process. I think I made a mistake buying an EV SSL certificate instead of a regular SSL. Comodo asks me for alot of documentation, proving the legal existence of my business etc..

If I had bought the non EV SSL, would it be easier for me to install it? Would they ask the same documentation?

Do I need this EV SSL at all?

Appericiate your help. You're welcome to visit the site again, and if there's anything you feel bothered with, please share with me.

Thanks!

•••
Update: I didn't need the EV as suspected, ov did the job as well. Finished installing it and updated the content... I also purchased a 3-step purchase that works great with my Woocommerce, in order to make buying process as easy and fast as it can be.

Would LOVE to hear feedback about the design, buying experience and any small note you would like to tell me.

Waiting for your replies!

Cheers,
Alon.

•••
Just a small thing, "provided" is spelled incorrectly on the home page towards the bottom.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back